Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,501 of 3,573

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,502 of 3,573
Thats odd... It's like you buy a Jaguar but without the Jaguar miniature above the hood on that car... thats not a Jaguar then.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,503 of 3,573
It's like buying a book without chapters nor table of contents.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,504 of 3,573
Update! Got my Colorware HD800 headphones:

The ASUS Essence One is waiting for me at home today. Couldn't find a Plus, so I grabbed a basic off Amazon with Prime Shipping. What I'm really hoping for is a more refined top end (Pop stuff is a bit harsh), and enough power to bring the bass out of the headphones (My Fiio E9 just can't produce nearly enough power. Then again, it's the original E9 that topped out at, what, 150 ohms?). Once I've got it hooked up and ASIO installed and functional, I'll post impressions.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,505 of 3,573
Quote:

The ASUS Essence One is waiting for me at home today. Couldn't find a Plus, so I grabbed a basic off Amazon with Prime Shipping. What I'm really hoping for is a more refined top end (Pop stuff is a bit harsh), and enough power to bring the bass out of the headphones (My Fiio E9 just can't produce nearly enough power. Then again, it's the original E9 that topped out at, what, 150 ohms?). Once I've got it hooked up and ASIO installed and functional, I'll post impressions.

Congratz, more pics.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,506 of 3,573
Quote:

That's a HD 800 Jamaican style!

I used to pair mine with an E9 too. In comparison with an E1, the sound changed to a much more listening-friendly way. Music sounded less stressful and harsh. A bit warmer and a bit bassier too (thanks to the NE5532 stock opamps). The soundstage got just a tad wider than before. However, I highly recommend rolling your own opamps on them. I'm using the AD797BR's and the LME49990's right now and I must admit, they are a worthwhile upgrade over the stock ones.
I would consider an upgrade over the stock cables too, as aftermarket cables can actually improve the sound on the HD 800 noticeably (maybe some with a sleeving that matches the color of your HD 800's
rolleyes.gif
).

Have fun with your new toy =)

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,507 of 3,573
I was going to comment about it looking similar to Jamaican colors, but you've beaten me to it.

How much did the colorways run you for?
I'm thinking of getting a white/red one with some black on it.

Gee, i wonder where you'll be able to get an after market cable for those nice headphones.

Tim

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,508 of 3,573
Quote:
I was going to comment about it looking similar to Jamaican colors, but you've beaten me to it.

Gee, i wonder where you'll be able to get an after market cable for those nice headphones.

Tim

Perhaps, you could build one for us! =)

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,510 of 3,573
Quote:
Perhaps, you could build one for us! =)

Could!!! this is an insult...
wink.gif
, he can/will build you wonderful cables, with fantastic prices. (now where is my %)

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,511 of 3,573
Quote:
If you do a review, sure why not.

Back to subject, how's the gain switch situation going boys.

Simply put it "Its not there".

And no one on the WWW can prove me wrong!

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,512 of 3,573
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,513 of 3,573
i have my Essence One stripped naked right now, and i wouldn't know any possible places for them to put it.
Best place for it, would be where they red mark circled it, but since you don't have it on your model, i doubt it was ever incorporated.

Tim

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,514 of 3,573

Tim

That's a new one! I've heard them called Packers and John Deere colors, but Jamaica is a new one. Frankly, they're just my favorite color scheme, and there were no accent parts small enough to work in safety orange somewhere (though if I could paint the screws, Hm...). Also haven't received my frequency response chart from Sennheiser yet.

As for price, Colorware sells them for $1500 with original Sennheiser warranty. If you decide to go that route, be warned that my experience is the company is completely uncommunicative and unapologetic about any delays; it took almost seven weeks from my order being placed before they arrived, despite a quote of "about four weeks" and their website claiming "Ships in three weeks". The paint job is phenomenal, though.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,515 of 3,573
I've just been turned off by the price.

I'll just have to paint the one i have.
I've had no previous skills in painting, but come on, what can go wrong.

popcorn.gif

ph34r.gif

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back