Asus EEE 900HA: Excellent Sound, Unconstrained Drive
Dec 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Hifihedgehog

500+ Head-Fier
I am getting Asus EEE 900HA netbook for Christmas, but 'cause I am going on vacation for Christmas, I got to set it up early...

After I copied some music over, I tested some things, including the headphone output. Boy, does this thing sound good. Better than anything by Creative (including my X-Fi sound card), Apple, Archos, or Microsoft. Better yet, it can drive any pair of headphones (My head bursts at 10% with HD555s!) much better than my X-Fi. If this is what a Cowon sounds like, I guess I don't need one now!

What about other features? 160 GB of Hard Disk Space; Wifi; Lan; 3 Usb 2.0 ports; it's a netbook (translation: micro laptop); XP; 5 hours battery life; only 2 pounds; low power (about 5 watts); BRIGHT, constasty screen (HAD to turn it down to 50% brightness).

It isn't a number-cruncher, but it sure gets the job done: I can play games such as:
Jedi Outcast (mid to high settings)
Jedi Academy (same as previous)
C&C Generals (lowest settings)
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
Sonic Heroes (yes, Sega released a PC port a few years back)
Sonic Adventure DX (yes, to the above statement)
Hunting Unlimited
All Emulators (except PS2 and Dreamcast)
And basically anything with CPU requirements at or below 1 Ghz.

I can't wait to get this on Christmas and really use it!

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and yes you can close lid and play music. its just a minature laptop?

You can't do that with my laptop?!

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't do that with my laptop?!

if you have a laptop running windows yes you can, you have to change the settings from control panel

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 30
@Sonichedgehog360: Thanks for the information! After a lot of researching, I had recently purchased the same Netbook and am impatiently waiting for its arrival on Monday.

I mainly got it as a replacement for my PDA, but I was hoping the SQ would at least be decent. This is a happy surprise!

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 30
I got her the one with 16Gb ssd, not a harddrive. The sound is very good indeed out of it! The brand is Assus.

Tim

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have a laptop running windows yes you can, you have to change the settings from control panel

Yes yes yes! You can! Super. I was unaware of this titbit of information and now I am a happy bunny!

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes ssd are the way to go. no moving parts = less noise. the headphone jack leaves a lil to b desired but.

I disagree. I thought the same way as yourself, until I started researching my own Netbook purchase. A SSD-based Netbook gives a significant performance hit. The reasons I read were cheap SSD's being used or possibly that the OS (XP, Linux) is actually optimized to run on a HDD. Also, what I like about the EEE 900HA is that the HDD and RAM are easily replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back