Astrotec AX60 | Thoughts, Reviews, and Tour Impressions
Jun 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #121 of 126
Astrotec AX60 impressions:

Impressions done with Sony ZX1 and Ibasso DX90.

Built: Build quality is quite good. Metal casing seems as if it can be fun over by a truck and it will be fine. Cable connections have re-enforcements to help with strength. Cable itself is highly flexible.
Sound: Overall it is a slight “U” sound with slightly more stress on the highs. To my ears the highs aren’t the most natural heard in an earphone. As was mentioned above, the highs can sound metallic at times. They can be sibilant, dependent on track, but it doesn’t seem to bother me as it has others.  So, if you are prone to discomfort from sibilance, best to avoid these.
To me the mids are slightly recessed, but not enough to alter the sound. Mids do sound pretty good with these, even if slightly recessed. They sound full, and vocals sound good.
Bass, like so many earphones, is dependent on tips. I found the default tips to not be the best for me for seal and to get the bass to sound decent. The bass with the default tips  seems to have nice extension but sounded loose at times. The Sony ZX1 may also not have given these any justice. Things changed when I changed out to another pair of tips, the e-Q5 Silicon Eartips small, and used the better powered DX90 (mid boost setting). That later setup gave a fuller sound with the bass coming out nicely and some of the sibilance put in check.
Soundstage is good, imaging is very good. With acoustic music one feels that they are sitting on stage next to the performer. Details are good, not $500 plus good, but fine for the price asked.
Speaking of price these are not giant killers or for that matter play in the same league. I find them overpriced for what one gets. Still these have their allure. The fun factor kicks in at a certain point and one starts to enjoy the music, especially true if you give them a bit of power, and match them with tips that work for you.

My final words, these are an admirable effort. They do sound quite good with some types of music and paired with the right DAP and eartips. I especially enjoyed them with acoustic and slower music.  Not really recommended for someone looking for clear highs or is sibilant adverse but good for someone looking for a fun earphone.

Unfortunately for Astrotec, the earphone marketplace has changed so much just within the past six months. In the same price range one can buy the DUNU DN-2000, which gets almost everything right, or its older brother at a cheaper price, the DN-1000 which is one of the best fun earphones I have ever heard.  

These will be sent back to their home shortly. Would I add them to my already extensive collection, maybe at the right price, but not at its current retail price.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #122 of 126
Thank you, Carlsan, for finishing up the tour for us.

Overall, I think that members' impressions have swung somewhat hot and cold on this product. It seems that the individual components of the AX60 seemed very promising, but things didn't quite come together in a cohesive way. Astrotec seems to have learned from the AX60 and built on top of it with the lower-end AX30 and AX35, so perhaps there's hope for improvement to Astrotec heading upmarket in the future.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #123 of 126
...  things didn't quite come together in a cohesive way. ...

Yes, that is it. I was looking for what was missing with these earphones and really couldn't put my finger on it but that's it in a nutshell.
Still, they do sound better with more power and better tips.

I recently got the AX30 for $50 plus change. Big price difference from one to the other.  I haven't quite given them time or burn in, but I may compare them if I get a moment.
Cheers.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #124 of 126
I picked up a set of these and they sound excellent to me. They have more resolution than any other IEM I have. The bass can be a touch too much at times but I can deal with it. I hate the fit though with the over the ear rubber inserts not really working that well. The cable keeps falling out. The sound is awesome with the iBasso DX90. I recently downloaded America Live from HDTracks and didn't really hear a good recording with my other IEMs. But using the 60s I hear a lot more detail. These are expensive but worth the price to me.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #125 of 126
can someone compare them to the ortofon EQ-5 ?

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #126 of 126
After listening to these for some time now I think they are pretty neutral sounding.  They could use a bit more resolution up top.  They sound better with softer music like pop or jazz.  They are not meant for heavy rock.  For that type of music I prefer the Ludacris SL99.  Those can really rock out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back