Astounding Sumo Action!
May 25, 2007 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
With just two days to go in the big May basho, Asashoryu is out of it with three losses! Hakuho is undefeated and looks very like to get the yusho and promotino to yokozuna!! There are just two guys at two losses with any chance of catching him.

For a long time now, there has been only one yokozuna--the Mongolian, Asashoryu. Now it looks like there will be a second Mongolian yokozuna!!!
eek.gif
blink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 14
I remember during my second visit to Japan, we watched sumo on my uncle's new plasma TV (this was more than 5 years ago so he must've paid a mint for the thing). I was just riveted. It was amazing how quickly these behemoths moved and their athleticism. Once in awhile I'll catch sumo on the Asian channel while surfing the channels. Are you watching on the 'net or is there a channel on TV that carries matches on a regular basis?

May 25, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 14
Here in NC, I'm limited to internet updates and YouTube, which has a decent selection of individual bouts--from cell phones, I suppose...
frown.gif

In California, there was a good Japanese language show, "Sumo Digest".

May 26, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 14
Just finished watching sumo on BShi.
biggrin.gif

Asashoryo (4 losses) lost to Kotooshu while Hakuho (no losses) beat Chiyotaikai in a hard-fought match.

Hakuho is expected to be promoted to yokozuna.

May 26, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 14
Asashoryu must be injured--this is an almost unprecedented collapse for him.

The next tournament's battle between two yokozuna should be very interesting indeed! The Ozeki seem to be in pretty good form this time--I hope Tochiazuma is back from his injuries for July.

May 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 14
hi daycart1,
i recently saw a special on americans (non-japanese) becomming sumo. it was fascinating. the training of a new sumo is heavy on the hazing: expect to get punched, shoved, cigarettes put out on you, humiliated, etc. but the flexability and balance of sumos is remarkable. i would like to see more real sumo wrestling, and learn more.

btw, the comment about watching sumo on a plasma tv set reminded me of the movie "2001: a space odyssey", where passengers on the earth to moon shuttle are watching... wait for it... SUMO ON A PLASMA TV! remember "2001" was made in 1967!!

May 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, more competition in July. I will be attending the basho in Nagoya.

Wow, you're lucky! I hope you can post daily reports for us in July!

Redshifter: I had completely forgotten about 2001! I'll have to check the vid and see if any real Sumo guys from the 60's can be ID'ed.

May 27, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Redshifter: I had completely forgotten about 2001! I'll have to check the vid and see if any real Sumo guys from the 60's can be ID'ed.

there's a good shot of the wrestlers. if you can name them my hat is off to you sir. that would be one detail of that particular film that i do not know.
wink.gif

May 27, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will only be attending one day (day before last) ! I will make sure I post a report.

May 27, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, Redshifter! I hadn't seen that site and it certainly beats searching youtube!

Too bad about Tochiazuma's decision to retire. At one time he looked like he'd make yokozuna and stay there a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back