Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #377 of 615
I charged it for more than an hour it should atleast be charged enough to turn on.
Whats the color of the indicator when you turn it on after unpluging it from the charger? Did you connect it the right way-> when you connect it through the 3,5mm to 3,5mm then you can only listen it from 3,5mm output. Same with the 4,4mm.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #378 of 615
User manual says that
Whats the color of the indicator when you turn it on after unpluging it from the charger? Did you connect it the right way-> when you connect it through the 3,5mm to 3,5mm then you can only listen it from 3,5mm output. Same with the 4,4mm.
No light turns on when I turn the volume wheel. It only shows light when it is charging. I will give it more time to charge but I am not that hopeful.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #379 of 615
User manual says that

No light turns on when I turn the volume wheel. It only shows light when it is charging. I will give it more time to charge but I am not that hopeful.
Mine was near zero charge when I got it. I used it for a few minutes then it was dead. Using a standard 5V/2A charger it took many hours, like 10+, for the blue light to stop flashing. I was pretty taken aback. Second time the same with the same charger. I'm now using a 9V/1.67A fast charger (per the instructions) and it charges way faster. It's possible that it will take quite a bit of time on the initial charge-up to get a full charge or even enough juice for it to be operational.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #380 of 615
Mine was near zero charge when I got it. I used it for a few minutes then it was dead. Using a standard 5V/2A charger it took many hours, like 10+, for the blue light to stop flashing. I was pretty taken aback. Second time the same with the same charger. I'm now using a 9V/1.67A fast charger (per the instructions) and it charges way faster. It's possible that it will take quite a bit of time on the initial charge-up to get a full charge or even enough juice for it to be operational.
I will leave it charging overnight and see. I have a fast charger but it is 9V 2.7A. Not sure it if it is safe to use that one as it does not match the official recommended rating.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #387 of 615
The pa10 is one of the best purchases ive made in my entire audio path. This amp sounds so beautiful, full, smooth, engaging and spacious that im in awe actually. Paired with the sp1k and listen with the Softears Twilight, im getting the most perfect sound ive ever experienced from a "portable". This combo actually rivals some high end desktop and speaker amps i tried, like Burson Soloist 3x, Vincent SV-237MK, Hugo 2, is definitely beyond Fiio K9 Pro ESS, Fiio M17, AK sp2000, AK ca1000 and many more.
It even drives the Sundaras and Aryas like crazy, with full controll, punchy bass and smooth and engaging trebles.
I noticed that it got bit smoother with time, like the burn in is actually a thing (never believed in it in sources and amps). But the class A seems like it needs 100-200h to get to its full potential.
The sound is so full, powerful, warmish but detailed at the same time, love it!
+1 to these comments. I’ve had my PA10 for 13 months now, and must say that I enjoy the full body and richness to the sound that it produces. I don’t use it daily as I like to “gear roll” 😂 but I certainly do not regret the purchase.

Paired with the Dethonray Honey H1 it works exceptionally well. Buttery smooth and creamy. I love it.

It’s amazing to me how the PA10 remains room temperature and cool to the touch even after a couple hours of use. For a device that is pure Class A I have no idea how AK did it.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #388 of 615
I am no expert but from conversation elsewhere my understanding regarding chargers is that any fast charger will be safe regardless that its rated output is higher than that specified for the device being charged.

The charger rating is its maximum capacity not what it will output by itself, the device being charged dictates that.

A basic charger will only output 5 volts at a current (amps) that the device being charged draws or the maximum of the charger which ever is lower. The current rating is the maximum the charger can supply but the current delivered is dependent on what the device needs assuming the charger is has a capacity higher than the device needs.

The charger won’t dump very high current in the device being charged. Picture a small standard incandescent 12 volt light bulb, it will be able to be powered by 8 x 1.5 volt AA batteries or a 12 volt car battery to the same brightness. The much higher current capacity of the car battery isn’t drawn by the light bulb.

A basic charger can only deliver 5 volts with a fast charger capable of higher voltage but only if asked to supply that voltage. If the device being charged has fast charge management it will ask the charger for higher voltage and the charger will deliver that if it is able to. The voltage being asked for will vary over the course of the charging cycle reducing later in the charge as the battery gets near full.

A low powered charger will take longer to charge but won’t have any negative effects on the device.

A fast charger will only output what the device being charged asks for so whether you use a 25 watt charger or a 100 watt charger it wont make any difference if the device being charged can only use say 15 watts.

If the PA10 only technically needs a 15 watt charger (since they state 9V x 1.67amps = 15 watts) using one capable of higher output won’t make any difference, the actual output delivered is governed by the PA10 provided that the charger meets the minimum requirement of the PA10.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #389 of 615
I am no expert but from conversation elsewhere my understanding regarding chargers is that any fast charger will be safe regardless that its rated output is higher than that specified for the device being charged.

The charger rating is its maximum capacity not what it will output by itself, the device being charged dictates that.

A basic charger will only output 5 volts at a current (amps) that the device being charged draws or the maximum of the charger which ever is lower. The current rating is the maximum the charger can supply but the current delivered is dependent on what the device needs assuming the charger is has a capacity higher than the device needs.

The charger won’t dump very high current in the device being charged. Picture a small standard incandescent 12 volt light bulb, it will be able to be powered by 8 x 1.5 volt AA batteries or a 12 volt car battery to the same brightness. The much higher current capacity of the car battery isn’t drawn by the light bulb.

A basic charger can only deliver 5 volts with a fast charger capable of higher voltage but only if asked to supply that voltage. If the device being charged has fast charge management it will ask the charger for higher voltage and the charger will deliver that if it is able to. The voltage being asked for will vary over the course of the charging cycle reducing later in the charge as the battery gets near full.

A low powered charger will take longer to charge but won’t have any negative effects on the device.

A fast charger will only output what the device being charged asks for so whether you use a 25 watt charger or a 100 watt charger it wont make any difference if the device being charged can only use say 15 watts.

If the PA10 only technically needs a 15 watt charger (since they state 9V x 1.67amps = 15 watts) using one capable of higher output won’t make any difference, the actual output delivered is governed by the PA10 provided that the charger meets the minimum requirement of the PA10.
Yes I tried fast charger and it finally worked. It did not even charge a little with slow charger. I mean it should take more time to charge with slow charger but it is the first time I saw that a device did not charge at all with slow charger.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #390 of 615
Anyone find it's power a little low for a dedicated $600 headphone amplifier especially through single ended even on high gain. It seems to be a little less powerful than my LG G8 which is 6 year old goddamn phone. Astell&Kern tell on their website that it can put out 4VRMS in single ended which should be more than G8 but it says no load which to me sounds when it is not driving anything which to say the least is very misleading as normally all other manufacturers give us the load impedance. Used for few hours still not sure about this definitely not a value product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back