Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Aug 8, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #151 of 619
The noise floor is the same crossfeed or no crossfeed. Pretty much the same 4v line out or 1.4v out.

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #152 of 619
You’re using with SR35? What are you setting volume at on DAP? Also, the ‘warning’ in their manual doesn’t specify if this is a product of the crossfeed function in general or if the white noise is only heard while it’s engaged. I notice it on a few sensitive IEM’s during silence but nothing during playback.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #153 of 619
I have tried line out at 4V and 1.4v. I have set the volume of the DAP at 0. I also tried the stock 3.5mm connector and an old pair of Senn Momentum and hear nothing. So what I hear is a function of the Ifi connector, the balanced output of the PA10, or the KR5s are just too sensitve. I believe a couple people on this thread were using Fir XE6 or RN6. I would be interesred to hear from them.

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #154 of 619
Can’t help ya there. Good luck bud.

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #155 of 619
I have tried line out at 4V and 1.4v. I have set the volume of the DAP at 0. I also tried the stock 3.5mm connector and an old pair of Senn Momentum and hear nothing. So what I hear is a function of the Ifi connector, the balanced output of the PA10, or the KR5s are just too sensitve. I believe a couple people on this thread were using Fir XE6 or RN6. I would be interesred to hear from them.
More than likely the Fir are too sensitive. I don’t see the PA10 as an iem amp except for difficult drivers like the Sony Z1R or the 64 Audio Duo. That being said, what are your gain and current switches on the PA10 set to? These will impact on the noise floor - one of the six variations may be more suitable.

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #156 of 619
I have tried all settings and the impact on the noise floor is minimal. I am going to return this one as it was an "open box" returned for some reason and exchange for a new one. If it still exhibits the raised noise floor then I know the KR5s are too sensitive and just have to live with it.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #157 of 619
Received my PA10 a couple of hours ago. Purchased as open box from authorized dealer. My setup is AK SR35 connected by Ifi 4.4mm cable to PA10 to Fir KR5. Supposedly this unit was out only for less than a week. Out of the box a little disappointing. With the KR5s there is an audible noise floor. Started out at 4V line out and now down to 1.4V on low gain and still have a noticeable noise floor. Also the high registers seem definitely muted. Do not think many hours were put on the unit since it was out for only a week. Does all this get better with use? I did not expect the audible noise floor especially since this is all AK.
Yes the amp gets better with more use.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #158 of 619
Received my PA10 a couple of hours ago. Purchased as open box from authorized dealer. My setup is AK SR35 connected by Ifi 4.4mm cable to PA10 to Fir KR5. Supposedly this unit was out only for less than a week. Out of the box a little disappointing. With the KR5s there is an audible noise floor. Started out at 4V line out and now down to 1.4V on low gain and still have a noticeable noise floor. Also the high registers seem definitely muted. Do not think many hours were put on the unit since it was out for only a week. Does all this get better with use? I did not expect the audible noise floor especially since this is all AK.
For me, burn in of more than 50 hours, had improved the sound significantly
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...ts-or-general-discussion.967883/post-17659293

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #159 of 619
I expect the SQ to improve but not sure the high noise floor I am experiencing would get better.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #160 of 619

Have you tried another interconnect from the SR35 and another pair of iems?

Is the noise floor still there on 3.5mm?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #161 of 619
Can't detect the noise floor using 3.5mm but all I have are some 8 year old Senn Momentum although they have never sounded better. I only have the KR5s to test the balanced output. The Ifi 4.4 cable I bought new with the PA10 so I doubt that it would be the cause of the elevated noise floor. I was hoping other people on here with Fir iems would chime in.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #162 of 619
Can't detect the noise floor using 3.5mm but all I have are some 8 year old Senn Momentum although they have never sounded better. I only have the KR5s to test the balanced output. The Ifi 4.4 cable I bought new with the PA10 so I doubt that it would be the cause of the elevated noise floor. I was hoping other people on here with Fir iems would chime in.

All I can suggest is try another interconnect and iems?

Do you have any dealers nearby too audition other gear?

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #163 of 619
I am not a big iem guy. I only keep one set around for specific uses. I know the PA10(or the interconnect) is the reason for the noise floor since the Fir has no hiss issues with the SR35 alone. The question is the PA10 defective or just incompatible with the Fir? I have emailed the dealer to exchange the "open box" for a "new" unit but have not heard back. Unforunately I don't have a 3.5mm iem cable to use with the Fir to test that combination.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #164 of 619
I am not a big iem guy. I only keep one set around for specific uses. I know the PA10(or the interconnect) is the reason for the noise floor since the Fir has no hiss issues with the SR35 alone. The question is the PA10 defective or just incompatible with the Fir? I have emailed the dealer to exchange the "open box" for a "new" unit but have not heard back. Unforunately I don't have a 3.5mm iem cable to use with the Fir to test that combination.
I hope you get your problem fixed soon.
I like you don’t have many iems.
Just last night I was playing the PA10 feeding my Ortofon EQ-8 and it was sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back