Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #61 of 615
Hi, very interesting conversation. I am looking to get an amp to boost the output of the RS8 for the Expanse.
I am interested in the TOPPING NX7 and the PA10. I have the SP3k but prefer the sound of the RS8 on the Expanse even if it is a bit lower in volume the other characteristics make up for it for my ears. There really isn't much out there in terms of a pure headphone amp , i.e. without a DAC, which I do not want and safe to presume the same for everyone here. The Cayin C9 looks great with the tube option, however my question is which of these will drive power hungry headphones best. This one is super expensive.

anyone tried the NX7 vs the PA10 , I know the price is less than half but wonder how it holds up in quality and also power.

another questions, I find the SP3k a little refined for my liking and I prefer the warmer sound of the RS8 - by going with the PA 10 would I be able to maintain the sound characteristics of the RS8?

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #62 of 615
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #63 of 615
Hi, very interesting conversation. I am looking to get an amp to boost the output of the RS8 for the Expanse.
I am interested in the TOPPING NX7 and the PA10. I have the SP3k but prefer the sound of the RS8 on the Expanse even if it is a bit lower in volume the other characteristics make up for it for my ears. There really isn't much out there in terms of a pure headphone amp , i.e. without a DAC, which I do not want and safe to presume the same for everyone here. The Cayin C9 looks great with the tube option, however my question is which of these will drive power hungry headphones best. This one is super expensive.

anyone tried the NX7 vs the PA10 , I know the price is less than half but wonder how it holds up in quality and also power.

another questions, I find the SP3k a little refined for my liking and I prefer the warmer sound of the RS8 - by going with the PA 10 would I be able to maintain the sound characteristics of the RS8?
On your last question....i have only tried with RS6 and the PA10 keeps the tonality of the RS6, but the background is blacker, bass is tighter, soundstage is wider and more precise, and there is more detail to be heard. On the RS6, it is a substantial difference to me and well worth the price. However, i would think for the higher price the RS8 also has a better amp section over the RS6 so those differences might not be as noticable on the RS8. But if your objective is boosting output, the PA10 is a nice quality device.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #64 of 615

If you don’t need balanced out put have a look at Vorzuge Pure amps.
Fantastic sounding amps that just happen to be portable.
There is a thread on here about the Vorzuge amps.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #65 of 615
Okay, question for the experienced audiophiles here - I just ordered a PA10 (woo!) and can't wait to check it out - this is my first external dedicated amp for headphones - my dap is currently a Fiio M11 Pro (will change at some point, but don't have the funds right now) - I will be primarily using them with my ZMF's, so I'll be using the 4.4mm i/o - considering the M11 Pro doesn't have a dedicated line out from the 4.4mm jack, what is the better option - run it as PO out from 4.4mm to the PA10 with a 5-pole interconnect or use the line out from the 3.5mm jack and use an adapter to go from 3.5mm to 4.4mm, into the PA10? I'm currently descending down the rabbit hole as you can tell - I've always been an appreciator of high quality audio but have only in the recent years really started to try to study and learn the real audiophile side of things. Thanks much.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #66 of 615
Okay, question for the experienced audiophiles here - I just ordered a PA10 (woo!) and can't wait to check it out - this is my first external dedicated amp for headphones - my dap is currently a Fiio M11 Pro (will change at some point, but don't have the funds right now) - I will be primarily using them with my ZMF's, so I'll be using the 4.4mm i/o - considering the M11 Pro doesn't have a dedicated line out from the 4.4mm jack, what is the better option - run it as PO out from 4.4mm to the PA10 with a 5-pole interconnect or use the line out from the 3.5mm jack and use an adapter to go from 3.5mm to 4.4mm, into the PA10? I'm currently descending down the rabbit hole as you can tell - I've always been an appreciator of high quality audio but have only in the recent years really started to try to study and learn the real audiophile side of things. Thanks much.

Yes, FIIO M11 Pro does not have balanced Line Out via 4.4mm connector, only unbalanced 3.5mm.
It is a certain loss

According to the A&K PA10 manual:
Output is possible only with earphones or headphones
that have the same specifications as the input port.
※ When input through the [4.4mm Balanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [4.4mm Balanced Phone Out] port
※ When input through the [3.5mm Unbalanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [3.5mm Unbalanced Phone Out] port

For starters, use the LO 3.5 to 3.5mm solution (the appropriate interconnect cable is included in the PA10 set)
- this is the only sensible option, before changing to another DAP when you raise funds.

Giving the signal from PO with FIIO M11 Pro is pointless because it is already a signal passed from its internal M11 PRO amplifier, and we want to bypass it.

Does it sound good with 3.5 then 3.5 is of course very nice - but wings will spread and Astell&Kern PA10 was created for this to process balanced sound and deliver it to balanced headphones.

In this A&K PA10 amplifier, the sound is really great and the dynamics are like driving a sports electric car at a speed of 50 km/h and you are completely sure that at any time when you want or need you touch te gas pedal and it will not go - it will shoot forward. the Class-A power is there all the time and is actually stopped-stopped by the potentiometer - and I'm using a potentiometer this power I only release when I want or it is delivered when the song itself demands it.
⚡, not developed gradually by turning up the volume - it's a different experience of power and volume.

The stage is cavernous and the holography is amazing I listen to my favorite tracks again and as my friend said, you have a great effect in this set..... it's Dolby Atmos or Sony 360 hahaha - there was just so much content hidden in the holography that I never knew about I had no idea it was there - and it's the same songs.
I've been on vacation for almost a week, I don't eat, I don't drink, I don't sleep, I don't use the toilet - I listen to all my thousands of songs and discover them anew.

PS. Of course I know that there are better audio devices and maybe they sound better (we are talking about small "portable" devices) - but this one gives me pleasure to listen to now .... and what will tomorrow bring???:)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #67 of 615

Short answer but I bought the pa10 for my rs8 because it made the stealth that much better. Lovely combo, highly recommend. I think expanse might be similar. Ymmv

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #68 of 615

Tried both NX7 and PA10 upper jawed it.

NX7 is not balance, its balance is just for convenience. to my set up, yes, nx7 is powerful for its price, however I sacrificed my source, NX7 sound boring, no emotion added, and low end sound boosted. I had advantage only when I use my LCD XC 2021 which needs low end, but rest is just ok.

PA10 drives, make sing and adds low ends on my Ananda SE and XC and never left the emotions behind, timbre, depth and detail is there. This is where price dont lie, hahaha.

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #70 of 615
Anyone tried the pa10 with say a mojo 2 ? I know it would be quite a brick to carry around but I am looking for a transportable dac and amp combo to move around the house and in the garden. And to use with my focal clear.

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #71 of 615
According to the A&K instructions on the PA10, the LED changes colors when the battery is charged:
100~70% - White | 70~30% - Yellow | 30~1% - Red
How long do your PA10s work in the balanced mode from the moment the Red LED lights up?
In my AP10 - it's only 15 minutes.

The total time on the balanced option at 20-30% volume, GAIN and CrossFeed off, and on [Mid] +50mA - is about 8-9 hours.

On the same settings, but in the unbalanced option, over 11 hours

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #72 of 615
Anyone tried the pa10 with say a mojo 2 ? I know it would be quite a brick to carry around but I am looking for a transportable dac and amp combo to move around the house and in the garden. And to use with my focal clear.
I am using it, for my situation mojo 2 + pa10 is still ideal.
I use Hiby R3 + mojo 2 + PA10, thats a double cheese burger :dt880smile::grinning::grinning:

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #74 of 615
Thanks! How would you characterize the sound? Is it cold or sterile? What do you think the PA10 gives to the mojo 2?
neither cold or sterile, PA10 is consider neutral with hint of warm in low mid and lows, afaik PA10 adds more power and lowend slam on my Ananda SE and LCD XC without need of playing mojo 2 PEQ. it is musical and pleasant sound and never leave song emotion behind.

Jun 18, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #75 of 615
So i found an interesting workaround on my M11 Pro line out / 4.4mm input situation - i have a set of Sony MDR-1AM2 which include a 3.5mm to 4.4mm cable, so i got that on line out from the Fiio into the 4.4mm of the AK - back out to my Eikon - sounds awesome, is definitely a step up from the Fiio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back