Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Feb 5, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #466 of 616
Last weekend i tried to take the sp1k+pa10 sandwich outside with me. I managed to fit it in a pocket of my jacket lol. The sound was even more impressive when i was outside because it made an even stronger impression of the music playing somewhere out, like there was a live performance. I still stand by my first opinion that its the best "portable" ive ever heard and hoping that some day there will be a single device able to perform like this combo- a fully blown high class stationary rig in a pocket.
Btw, i think the pa10 pairs extremely weel with AK daps, especially their flagships. But i think it would also pair very well with something like the Hiby r6 pro II which has a very well implemented highest quality dac. This dap alone lacks power and stronger dynamics but this is where pa10 would enter the game, providing this amazing class A amplification to fulfill the sound with a bit of warmth and strong punch.
@RIGATIO Maybe it's a good time to try something new from A&K - with dedicated LineOut and PreOut that Astell&Kern Kann Ultra has.
I saw a very good price offer in the ads here. (1000 Euro !)

But first check in the store how it plays with PA10.
Generally speaking, I didn't say anything and I don't encourage change.:L3000:

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #467 of 616
@RIGATIO Maybe it's a good time to try something new from A&K - with dedicated LineOut and PreOut that Astell&Kern Kann Ultra has.
I saw a very good price offer in the ads here. (1000 Euro !)

But first check in the store how it plays with PA10.
Generally speaking, I didn't say anything and I don't encourage change.:L3000:
Thnx! Ive heard the the Ultra but to my ears, the sp1k still has an edge when it comes to the sound quality. I know that it doesnt have a REAL line out but i can hear the difference when the line out is turned on/off on the sp1k. With the line out ON, the sound becomes slightly clearer and cleaner which complements the pa10 very well. The sp1k works more as a preamp than a real signal delivery source but i really cant complain. Besides, the sp1k gives an amazing sound quality alone so when i really want to go fully portable, i just use it without the pa10. To my ears, sp1k alone gives a bit wider soundstage and even deeper bass response but i like it with the pa10 more. The pa10 adds this amazing power and class A amp control, especially when used with single DD iems, like Twilight. Also the depth of the sounstage improves where the mids are displayed even more outside my head and the sound becomes even more dynamic and detailed. Its really something great, ive never heard the Twilight and the rest of my iems/headphones sounding this good.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #470 of 616
Genuine Leather Protective Shell Skin Case Cover for iRiver Astell and Kern AK PA10

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1Sami

I haven’t bought one myself but everybody likes a link to gear that people talk about 😂
Very nice cover.

But
It's a pity that the manufacturer did not use two anti-slip spacers in the place where the DAP contacts the cover,
such as those in the DIGNIS cover - NEBULA for PA10 from the Korean company DIGNIS, known for its quality.
These distances are a well-thought-out addition, they cause there to be a minimal gap between the DAP
(e.g. Kann Ultra in DAR mode gets warm) and PA10 - air oscillation. PA10 with DAP does not slide per millimeter.
Additionally, Dignis adds 2 colorless stickers that you stick on the top of the jack sockets.
But this is probably due to the price, which is unfortunately higher than the one on ALI - it takes more work to sew these spacers into the cover.

1707510381137.png

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #472 of 616
Very nice cover.

But
It's a pity that the manufacturer did not use two anti-slip spacers in the place where the DAP contacts the cover,
such as those in the DIGNIS cover - NEBULA for PA10 from the Korean company DIGNIS, known for its quality.
These distances are a well-thought-out addition, they cause there to be a minimal gap between the DAP
(e.g. Kann Ultra in DAR mode gets warm) and PA10 - air oscillation. PA10 with DAP does not slide per millimeter.
Additionally, Dignis adds 2 colorless stickers that you stick on the top of the jack sockets.
But this is probably due to the price, which is unfortunately higher than the one on ALI - it takes more work to sew these spacers into the cover.

No surprise it is better designed when it costs three times as much.

Frankly I doubt a bit of airflow in that tiny gap is much use and if you are stacking the PA10 and a DAP they are going to be held snugly by a couple of rubber rings anyway.

I shared a link because someone else posted about it with no link and I looked it up because I was curious, figured it might be useful for someone.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #474 of 616
And I just replied that there was an alternative.
Yes, there is a gap in between, I didn't notice a disadvantage in it, but actually an advantage.
Well, everyone chooses for themselves.

1707601852375.png
That's a pretty cool feature. I have the less expensive Miter case for my PA-10, but to keep the battery of my FiiO M11 Plus ESS cooler, I kind of jury-rig another pair of rubber band straps to provide some space and also have the FiiO ventilated case for the M11.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #476 of 616
And I just replied that there was an alternative.
Yes, there is a gap in between, I didn't notice a disadvantage in it, but actually an advantage.
Well, everyone chooses for themselves.

The obvious disadvantage to that gap is it costs three times as much to have it.

Anyway, it is good to have options and frankly if I needed a case for my PA10 I would probably go for the fancy one as well not the one off AliExpress.

I don’t think Valentinum does cases for the PA10 but I have his ones for my iFi Gryphon and M11 Plus and does a fantastic job.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #477 of 616
We're talking about A&K PA10 here, but as I predicted with quite high accuracy, the release date of Kann Ultra, the successor to Kann Max.
I think that in the second half of 2024 we will see the premiere of the successor of PA10 in the... tube version Astell & Kern PA10 T ?
Great interest in portable balanced ampliefier PA10, and the current positive reception on the market of IBASSO PB5 OSPREY,
as well as A&K's extensive experience in tube solutions such as SP2000T and CA1000T, create a great chance for this.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #478 of 616
We're talking about A&K PA10 here, but as I predicted with quite high accuracy, the release date of Kann Ultra, the successor to Kann Max.
I think that in the second half of 2024 we will see the premiere of the successor of PA10 in the... tube version Astell & Kern PA10 T ?
Great interest in portable balanced ampliefier PA10, and the current positive reception on the market of IBASSO PB5 OSPREY,
as well as A&K's extensive experience in tube solutions such as SP2000T and CA1000T, create a great chance for this.
For me a tube for the go is a big no. Ive had the dx320 with tube amp as well as the sp2kt for a short time and all the interferences and ringing caused by moving around and wifi signal were too disturbing for me. Besides, i prefer a good solid state class A amp to the tubes. They are slightly too soft and muddy sounding in comparison.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #479 of 616
You're right, wearing lamps is not good, but at home there's such minimalism without 230V from the mains, so why not.
The introduction of the lamp, especially the CA1000T hybrid, was very successful.

There is an option to choose the mode
Cayin C9 is a fully balanced portable (battery) headphone amplifier with a choice of class A or AB and a choice of tube or solid-state amplification mode.
In iBASSO PB5 OSPREY - these are just lamps.

The success of the premiere of this PB5 - this is a very audiophile approach by Ibasso - if you already own any Ibasso DAP from the MAX series, you don't pay $1,500 but $1,000, I don't know if it works worldwide.
But such treatment of the manufacturer's loyal fans deserves praise,
uff where is the money spent on A&K ? :rolling_eyes:
It would also be nice to have such a promotion at A&K for a new product.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back