Astell & Kern Kann Ultra
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 79
Also, does that hard-edged signature equate with being bright or treble happy? Because @SteveEyes indicated he’s not after that for his tastes.
And no it doesn't equate to a player being bright or treble happy, that would be more a side effect of the tuning of the player / quality of the players components / aspects of the chain such as cable, transducers etc. I'd say it's more about the inherent characteristics of the different technologies.... 1 bit vs 32 bit. Although that's not to say that you can't get 32 bit dacs that produce a "softer-edged" sound, a prime example of that would be the tuning used in the Shanling M8.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #32 of 79
This is all in relation to the players in question and shouldn’t be taken as absolutes. I’m talking in relation to how the leading edge of notes are presented, if you’re familiar with the tech utilised in the N7 then you’ll know how this technology may not always result in the most “crisp” leading edge. I would use the term “smoothed over” but I think this lends to the idea that the player is less resolving which certainly isn’t the case.

What descriptors would you use to describe this phenomenon if you don’t agree?
I don’t disagree at all. I just know I wouldn’t like the signature of the CA1000 if it’s per se hard-edged. I was responding in context to Steve’s dislike for treble focused DAPs. :)

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #33 of 79
This is all in relation to the players in question and shouldn’t be taken as absolutes. I’m talking in relation to how the leading edge of notes are presented, if you’re familiar with the tech utilised in the N7 then you’ll know how this technology may not always result in the most “crisp” leading edge. I would use the term “smoothed over” but I think this lends to the idea that the player is less resolving which certainly isn’t the case.

What descriptors would you use to describe this phenomenon if you don’t agree?
Shanling is an interesting case.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #35 of 79
Folks - I'm the new Kann Ultra owner and absolutely love it with ZMF/Meze (obviously tuned with the right gain, balanced cable and DAC filter). One question though: what charger can you recommend, as have mixed feelings, seeing not much about it in the manual? Technically, it can be any QC3.0 or PD type one, but again there is a warning not to exceed certain Volts, Amps and Watts, so realistically any modern USB charger should be OK, but again they kind of warn you not to use anything more powerful than what is commonly available on the market. Realistically then, I'm looking for a charger that charges my DAP really fast, but won't damage it. Let me know what your experience is. Tks.

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #36 of 79
Folks - I'm the new Kann Ultra owner and absolutely love it with ZMF/Meze (obviously tuned with the right gain, balanced cable and DAC filter). One question though: what charger can you recommend, as have mixed feelings, seeing not much about it in the manual? Technically, it can be any QC3.0 or PD type one, but again there is a warning not to exceed certain Volts, Amps and Watts, so realistically any modern USB charger should be OK, but again they kind of warn you not to use anything more powerful than what is commonly available on the market. Realistically then, I'm looking for a charger that charges my DAP really fast, but won't damage it. Let me know what your experience is. Tks.
Chargers only deliver what is required. Any modern Anker charger or otherwise chip-enabled intelligent charger will be just fine.

I use an Anker iQ charger.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #37 of 79
Chargers only deliver what is required. Any modern Anker charger or otherwise chip-enabled intelligent charger will be just fine.

I use an Anker iQ charger.
Thanks for suggestion. I'm asking as I used to have some bad experiences with Fiio X5 (cannot remember 100% but I think this was the one) that I damaged and was told that it apparently was the charger I had (one of those intelligent ones) that was too powerful. I can also see in certain posts/manuals where the manufacturer recommends not to exceed 15 Watts chargers, what doesn't make any sense to be honest as following the logic even 100 Watt charger will not deliver more than required (what is exactly what you are saying). Its all a bit confusing, but thanks for your advice.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #38 of 79
Thanks for suggestion. I'm asking as I used to have some bad experiences with Fiio X5 (cannot remember 100% but I think this was the one) that I damaged and was told that it apparently was the charger I had (one of those intelligent ones) that was too powerful. I can also see in certain posts/manuals where the manufacturer recommends not to exceed 15 Watts chargers, what doesn't make any sense to be honest as following the logic even 100 Watt charger will not deliver more than required (what is exactly what you are saying). Its all a bit confusing, but thanks for your advice.
Standard jargon from a time when that could be an issue. And if you are using some archaic charger that does not regulate output in that way, then perhaps a viable caveat.

But anything recent, reputable and designed to function in the manner I described is going to be safe. I have the Kann Ultra and had the FiiO M17. No issues whatsoever, using an Anker 100.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #39 of 79

How is the sound of the Kann Ultra? Is it bass heavy and have an energetic sound? I currently own the fiio M11 and just wondering how much of an improvement the sound will be.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #40 of 79
How is the sound of the Kann Ultra? Is it bass heavy and have an energetic sound? I currently own the fiio M11 and just wondering how much of an improvement the sound will be.

Hello!

I owned the M11 Pro before the FiiO M17 that I recently sold after acquiring the Kann Ultra. I can easily say that this DAP would not be considered aggressive or bloated in the bass region.

Rather, bass on the Kann Ultra is adequately present, with a liquid and full sub-bass that is fast, full and well controlled.

This unit is the one [in the Astell&Kern lineup] that truly gets the tuning and the bass right. It has very strong dynamics that place this DAP in the camps of purists, without disappointing bassheads. If the track reaches, the Kann Ultra dives. If the track snaps, the Kann Uktra plucks. Yet, it does this without being wooly or sluggish. It is one of the most dynamic and refined low-end presentations I’ve encountered. And also a primary reason why I traded camps from the FiiO M17 to the Ultra.

It’s a real pleasure and musical experience throughout. So, in my opinion, there is no question that the Kann Ultra will be a marked improvement from the M11.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #41 of 79
Hi - I have both Fiio M17 and Kann Ultra and to be honest there is a difference between how they both sound, not too significant though. At this price point you are either way getting a true audiophile gear and the subtle difference seems to be all more of a matter of a taste and the right pairing with your headphone. At the end of the day we all have our own preferences and what we can ultimately hear is really down to the combination of our own ears receiving waves of various frequencies, brain processing them and interpreting into what we can perceive as sound, sound signature preference, prefered music genre, DAP build quality and its components, DAP gain, DAP DAC filters, cable (balanced/unbalanced, copper/silver), headphones and their burn-in. Depending on own preferences you can tweak the sound to your liking of both, M17 and Kann Ultra, both will do great. If you already have some decent headphones and looking for a DAP, let us know what genre and sound signature you prefer so certain recommendations can be made.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 79
Hi - I have both Fiio M17 and Kann Ultra and to be honest there is a difference between how they both sound, not too significant though. At this price point you are either way getting a true audiophile gear and the subtle difference seems to be all more of a matter of a taste and the right pairing with your headphone. At the end of the day we all have our own preferences and what we can ultimately hear is really down to the combination of our own ears receiving waves of various frequencies, brain processing them and interpreting into what we can perceive as sound, sound signature preference, prefered music genre, DAP build quality and its components, DAP gain, DAP DAC filters, cable (balanced/unbalanced, copper/silver), headphones and their burn-in. Depending on own preferences you can tweak the sound to your liking of both, M17 and Kann Ultra, both will do great. If you already have some decent headphones and looking for a DAP, let us know what genre and sound signature you prefer so certain recommendations can be made.
And…to add to this post, the Hiby Music App, which can be installed on the FiiO M17 and the Kann Ultra, introduces MSEB sound tweaks that go beyond what normal EQ settings can achieve.

Food for thought.

(Photos obtained online)

Attachments

• IMG_4313.png
    IMG_4313.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4314.png
    IMG_4314.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #43 of 79
And…to add to this post, the Hiby Music App, which can be installed on the FiiO M17 and the Kann Ultra, introduces MSEB sound tweaks that go beyond what normal EQ settings can achieve.

Food for thought.

(Photos obtained online)
True, however my personal opinion is that EQ and any additional applications tend to be changing the sound often to the extent of certain objectively perceived (at least by some) quality degradation. I know it is all debatable, however I personally was always trying to enjoy the music as it was intended to be enjoyed by the creator and as close to what was in the composers mind. Again I know a lot of people will argue, however at least in theory say all DAC filters are different (not better or worse, just different), so you may like one sound presentation, however it is hard to say that the one you actually like is objectively better than another DAC filter presentation. In my (and there are also other groups of people thinking the same) opinion EQ tends to be modifying the sound quite a bit making it different but it will also often sacrifice other aspects of the sound presentation, what can likely make it objectively worse. Again, I know not everyone will agree, so just my 2 cents :) The music is here ultimately for us to enjoy, so everyone should enjoy it the way he or she wants. I'm probably more on the purists side of things, but this is just me.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #44 of 79
True, however my personal opinion is that EQ and any additional applications tend to be changing the sound often to the extent of certain objectively perceived (at least by some) quality degradation. I know it is all debatable, however I personally was always trying to enjoy the music as it was intended to be enjoyed by the creator and as close to what was in the composers mind. Again I know a lot of people will argue, however at least in theory say all DAC filters are different (not better or worse, just different), so you may like one sound presentation, however it is hard to say that the one you actually like is objectively better than another DAC filter presentation. In my (and othet group of prople) opinion EQ tends to be modifying the sound quite a bit making it different but it will also often sacrifice other aspects of the sound presentation, what can likely make it objectively worse. Again, I know not everyone will agree, so just my 2 cents :) The music is here ultimately for us to enjoy, so everyone should enjoy it the way he or she wants. I'm probably more on the purists side of things, but this is just me.
I agree one hundred percent. I flatly refuse to EQ anything. I’m what one would call a ‘direct out purist’. Nevertheless, for those who are inclined to such things, MSEB is what I would steer them to try.

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #45 of 79
I agree one hundred percent. I flatly refuse to EQ anything. I’m what one would call a ‘direct out purist’. Nevertheless, for those who are inclined to such things, MSEB is what I would steer them to try.
Fully agree, also those eventually ending up for some reason with a too bright or too warm configuration may also try it. I remember myself long years ago I bought a warm DAP and warm headphones at the same time not realising that when paired together it is going to be simply too warm to enjoy...and yeah, it was.....without EQ it was a nightmare. Can imagine a similar scenario of having a bright DAP paired with bright headphones. Looking at own gear from synergy perspective comes with time and experience.....till then thank God we have EQ and sound tweaking apps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back