Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jun 17, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 551
Can you let me know what DAC filters are available on the menu? Tks
B4FDE4DC-BECD-4302-81A7-10424C747D8B.jpeg

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #22 of 551
Is this going to be clunky to use like all other AK DAPs?

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #25 of 551
I’ve owned the following A&K daps, in addition to KMax (now): SR25, SA700, SE200. Save for KM, I have none of these three in my possession for comparison.
SR25, my first A&K dap, impressed me as a bit lackluster sonically.
SA700 was very unique (for me) as it was the brightest, most revealing dap I’ve owned. I wish I had this back.
SE200 had nice versatility tween akm and ess sides.
All three beautifully constructed.
KMax has good heft and fits comfortably in the hand. Seems like sa700 dimensions but a bit thicker.
Truly portable. I have no case on it yet. Hoping Dignis makes one.
Bottom edges, typical of a&k, are not quite sharp.
Love having 2.5 & 4.4 sockets.
Screen is a trifle too small. I prefer se200 screen size. Resolution is good.
Amp gain adjustment is available in top pull down menu, four stages.
I listened to VE Ely briefly in super gain at about 50 volume and my ears were not shattered or even close.
I recall dx300 gain adjustments being more pronounced or affecting volume more strongly.
I do not stream and have no interest in doing so.
Top power button feels a little flimsy.
Volume knob is big enough for my fingers, unlike se200 which know was too small, recessed. There is loose play between volume clicks, but the click is clearly felt.
Bottom of KM has sd card slot and usb socket only. SD card is slightly recessed from bottom panel, ie it does not protrude at all like dx240 did (ugh).
KMax gets warm to the touch on high gain, volume 74, 16/44 file. By no means hot.
Sound wise, it strikes me as middle ground between the two dac options on se200—more layered than akm side, more dynamic than ess side, kind of the best of both perhaps. I’ll certainly need more time evaluating sound.
Just some quick impressions. Hope it helps

Add: I am hearing no background hiss with VE Ely nor Penon Legend.
I hear background hiss on Hiby R6 2020 while listening to Penon Legend

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #26 of 551
I’ve owned the following A&K daps, in addition to KMax (now): SR25, SA700, SE200. Save for KM, I have none of these three in my possession for comparison.
SA700 was very unique (for me) as it was the brightest, most revealing dap I’ve owned. I wish I had this back.
KMax has good heft and fits comfortably in the hand. Seems like sa700 dimensions but a bit thicker.
I listened to VE Ely briefly in super gain at about 50 volume and my ears were not shattered or even close.
I recall dx300 gain adjustments being more pronounced or affecting volume more strongly.
Volume knob is big enough for my fingers, unlike se200 which know was too small, recessed. There is loose play between volume clicks, but the click is clearly felt.
Bottom of KM has sd card slot and usb socket only. SD card is slightly recessed from bottom panel, ie it does not protrude at all like dx240 did (ugh).
KMax gets warm to the touch on high gain, volume 74, 16/44 file. By no means hot.
Sound wise, it strikes me as middle ground between the two dac options on se200—more layered than akm side, more dynamic than ess side, kind of the best of both perhaps. I’ll certainly need more time evaluating sound.

Definitely would love to hear the Kann MAX
Still have the Kann Alpha here
I like the shape a lot and they sound good
My intention was to upgrade to a iBasso DX320 but not in a rush at all

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #27 of 551

Its good you've owned se200. In your 1st impression listening do you have a chance to see what dac filters on km resemble most to the "sharp roll off" filter of the akm dac on the se200 ??

TIA ..

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #28 of 551
Its good you've owned se200. In your 1st impression listening do you have a chance to see what dac filters on km resemble most to the "sharp roll off" filter of the akm dac on the se200 ??

TIA ..
Oh man those filters mystify me as in I can barely hear a difference, se200 or KMax. Sorry.

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #29 of 551
Oh man those filters mystify me as in I can barely hear a difference, se200 or KMax. Sorry.
I was also initially thinking the difference is minimal, however it ultimately became my way of tweaking sound without using equalizer (that often negatively impacts the quality of sound reproduction). Not all DAC filters are great to be honest and you will probably end up switching between 2 or 3. To help you with chosing the right one, just focus on either low, mid or high frequency first and listen to it paying attention to instrument positioning, soundstage, details and so on. Once you are done, go through other frequencies: bass, treble and whatever else. At this stage I was taking notes about my sound impressions of the filer and then I changed filter to another one, yet again going through frequencies, taking notes about my impressions. Time consuming, but this is how I selected my best DAC filter on Kann Cube and Alpha. When you get used to the sound signature, just try again going through all filters in a few days just so you are sure you are using the best sounding one. When listening on a proper cans, use mid gain at least, as low gain may not always deliver the soundstage and render details you want to hear. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 551
I was also initially thinking the difference is minimal, however it ultimately became my way of tweaking sound without using equalizer (that often negatively impacts the quality of sound reproduction). Not all DAC filters are great and you will probably end up switching between 2 or 3. To help you with chosing the right one, just focus on either low, mid or high frequency and listen to if paying attention to instrument positioning, soundstage, details and so on. Once you are done, go through bass, treble and so on. This is how I selected my best DAC filter. When you get used to it, just try again all filters again to double check you are using the best one. When listening via proper cans, use mid gain at least, as low gain may not always deliver the soundstage and details you want to hear. Enjoy.
Hey thanks for the guidance on that. I’ll definitely experiment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back