Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,220 of 3,321
Do any of you have a problem rewinding to the previous track? 1.03 firmware. When I hit that previous button or from the UI, current song just starts over

I think that is normal operation. The manual says, "Previous/Rewind: Play the previous song or restart the song.  Long press- Rewind." All my players operate that way. Press it once to restart the song and twice (quickly) to play the previous song.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,221 of 3,321
yea that's my problem, when I tap rewind twice it still starts from the beginning of the current song.  I can't get it to go to previous reliably.  Sometimes it will , most of the time it won't.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,222 of 3,321
  yea that's my problem, when I tap rewind twice it still starts from the beginning of the current song.  I can't get it to go to previous reliably.  Sometimes it will , most of the time it won't.

I'm waiting for a good, reliable firmware update. I stand behind my assessmentt of the Jr as THE one to get in the AK lineup if you don't need balanced. If only its firmware was stable and all GUI elements clear and without silly redundancy. Amazing player. Buggy interface.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,223 of 3,321

I'm sorry I misunderstood the issue you were having. I don't go to the previous song very often, but dug mine out and played with it a little to see how it worked. I'm not sure if it's the firmware or the buttons, but it is very inconsistent in its operation.  Seems to act the same no matter if using the buttons on the side or the touch screen controls. Not sure if it is worse with the 1.03 firmware since I really didn't use it much, but it doesn't work very good.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,224 of 3,321

I'm waiting for a good, reliable firmware update. I stand behind my assessmentt of the Jr as THE one to get in the AK lineup if you don't need balanced. If only its firmware was stable and all GUI elements clear and without silly redundancy. Amazing player. Buggy interface.

Totally agree, amazing little player, coming from the DX90, the UI is leaps ahead.
Sound quality is definitely there as well.

Quote:

I'm sorry I misunderstood the issue you were having. I don't go to the previous song very often, but dug mine out and played with it a little to see how it worked. I'm not sure if it's the firmware or the buttons, but it is very inconsistent in its operation.  Seems to act the same no matter if using the buttons on the side or the touch screen controls. Not sure if it is worse with the 1.03 firmware since I really didn't use it much, but it doesn't work very good.

Sorry I wasn't clear before, but really appreciate you trying it out.  That is exactly the experience I'm having, it's very inconsistent.  Forward works flawlessly but that previous is rough.  Pretty sure it can be worked out by a firmware update just wasn't sure if it was specific to me or not.  Btw, how can we provide this feedback to them?  

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,225 of 3,321

Sorry I wasn't clear before, but really appreciate you trying it out.  That is exactly the experience I'm having, it's very inconsistent.  Forward works flawlessly but that previous is rough.  Pretty sure it can be worked out by a firmware update just wasn't sure if it was specific to me or not.  Btw, how can we provide this feedback to them?  

From my quick test, it seems that you have to wait for your current song to restart then press the previous button within the song's first 2 seconds and it'll go to the previous track. If you press it at 3 seconds, the song will restart again. If you press it when the music icon (top left of screen) isn't there (aka the song hasn't started yet), it won't register the button press at all.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,226 of 3,321

From my quick test, it seems that you have to wait for your current song to restart then press the previous button within the song's first 2 seconds and it'll go to the previous track. If you press it at 3 seconds, the song will restart again. If you press it when the music icon (top left of screen) isn't there (aka the song hasn't started yet), it won't register the button press at all.

Try letting the song play for at least 10 seconds, press previous and it will bring you back to the beginning of the song.  Within the first two seconds, try pressing previous, it will bring you back to the beginning of the song again, at least for me.  It's very inconsistent on when this happens.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,227 of 3,321
It would be great if manufacturers didn't try to reinvent the simple interface introduced by CD players. Long-hold: scrobble. Short-press within 3 or 10 seconds: return to previous song. Short-press after 10 seconds, return to beginning of track. It was so easy and reliable. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,228 of 3,321

Try letting the song play for at least 10 seconds, press previous and it will bring you back to the beginning of the song. 

Yea, that's what I meant when I said "If you press it at 3 seconds, the song will restart again." I should have said 3 seconds or more :p If you press 'Previous' 3 seconds or later into a song, it'll restart the current song.

Within the first two seconds, try pressing previous, it will bring you back to the beginning of the song again, at least for me.  It's very inconsistent on when this happens.

I'm not sure what the issue is on your end, but it seems very consistent for me. 

Here is a quick video of it on my Jr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yzYh8armgU

I am on 1.03, if that matters.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,229 of 3,321
edit: AH, I should have read the previous post more carefully, here's what i was "doing wrong."  I didn't wait 1 second before hitting previous again.    I guess I always pressed previous at the 0:00 mark.  Damn.  What was i thinking for trying to double tap previous!  :p

Thanks clee, it works everytime now!

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,230 of 3,321
I've not installed the newest firmware (assuming mine is behind the curve). When at the first song in an album, hitting back at the wrong time returns a redundant error, essentially that no file exists before it. Has that been fixed? I need to download the latest, but won't until later in the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back