Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,791 of 3,321
I am looking to sell a used AKJR in mint condition, in the original box which also has the original screen protectors (box also in fine condition but is missing the USB cable). I also have the Navy case for it in mint condition in its original box (box is slightly worn). Would anybody be interested? Looking for £200.00 or nearest offer. I am based in the UK and can send anywhere in the world, we could work out whats best for you once you have decided you would like it. 

Please PM if you would like to see pictures (dont want to spam the thread).

Cheers

EDIT: SOLD

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,792 of 3,321
  A little advice if possible?  

I just received my Jr. from a fellow Headfier and I absolutely love the sound.  Coming from a Sony NWZ-A847, that's not surprising.  What I am finding annoying is that quite a lot of my music is going into the "unknown" folder and with no album art; a problem I didn't have with my Sony.  Also, I tried loading a couple of DSD files but am getting the message that the format isn't supported.  I was under the impression that the Jr. does support all formats.  

AK advised me to properly "tag" the files but I have NO clue what or how to do in that regard.  

I had this issue with mine as well. My FLACs were coming up with no tagged data. A workaround that I found was to use mp3tag and change the tag format from FLAC ID3v2 to FLAC. A quick way to do this is to just select all the files, cut the tags, paste them, and mp3tag will change it from ID3v2 to FLAC.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,793 of 3,321
I've taken the plunge and picked up an AK JR, should be here after new years. I've been curious about it for a long time, its become more than a quest for sound quality and more a purchase just to ease my damn mind and thoughts. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #2,794 of 3,321
I was a serial switcher until I got my Jr, had it for 18 months and have tested many others in that time but the Jr has an analogue quality that's missing from many other sabre and akm based players.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #2,795 of 3,321
I was a serial switcher until I got my Jr, had it for 18 months and have tested many others in that time but the Jr has an analogue quality that's missing from many other sabre and akm based players.

That's partly why I want to try one. My AK300 shows similar behavior. it might not be the most detailed device I've heard overall (still not bad) but the way it plays music is quite satisfying and enjoyable, especially when relaxing. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,796 of 3,321
Had mine for two weeks and already thinking about selling it.  I do love the audio quality but the UI isn't that good, IMHO, and the scrolling speed is crap as well.  I have to admit that I like the UI of my Sony better so I think I'll be looking for the NWZ-A17 to replace it.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #2,797 of 3,321
  Had mine for two weeks and already thinking about selling it.  I do love the audio quality but the UI isn't that good, IMHO, and the scrolling speed is crap as well.  I have to admit that I like the UI of my Sony better so I think I'll be looking for the NWZ-A17 to replace it.  

Hi,

Is the scrolling speed only bad with higher capacity cards or when browsing via certain ways, artist, album etc? Can you browse by folder view and not have the lag present? I saw a video earlier today and man that scroll speed was lagging terribly.

I'm hoping its only with higher capacity cards or when using certain browsing mods. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,798 of 3,321
Just tried my AK Jr in my Apple cinema screen (with USB 2 ports on the back) and hey presto - works like a charm! (as an external dac)

Unfortunately at 27" it's not the most portable solution for getting round the latest Mac OS/USB 3 issue, but it's the only one I've found so far.  Nobody found a better workaround yet? (I'm all Googled out).

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,799 of 3,321

Hi,

Is the scrolling speed only bad with higher capacity cards or when browsing via certain ways, artist, album etc? Can you browse by folder view and not have the lag present? I saw a video earlier today and man that scroll speed was lagging terribly.

I'm hoping its only with higher capacity cards or when using certain browsing mods. 

I use folder view for myself and the scroll speed is quite good on external and internal memory, using a 200gb sandisk microsd, i can thumb through all the folders at a fairly fast rate.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,800 of 3,321
I use folder view for myself and the scroll speed is quite good on external and internal memory, using a 200gb sandisk microsd, i can thumb through all the folders at a fairly fast rate.

Great, thanks.

Long as I can scroll through a 32gb card using folder view smoothly I'm fine.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #2,801 of 3,321
  I had this issue with mine as well. My FLACs were coming up with no tagged data. A workaround that I found was to use mp3tag and change the tag format from FLAC ID3v2 to FLAC. A quick way to do this is to just select all the files, cut the tags, paste them, and mp3tag will change it from ID3v2 to FLAC.

Same problem here, but used mp3tag to rectify the problem files, also if the album art is quite big in size i noticed it would not show, but i used mp3tag and embedded all my art into my flac files.
made sure i had a smaller jpg, sometimes i used the cover tagging from the program itself, pretty straight forward program, but do as described above, load files, select all files, cut & then paste, worked like a charm for me.
As an aside the A&K Jr. is my go to dap, have two others but it's the one i mostly grab for listening to my music.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,802 of 3,321
Purchased an AK JR for $400 AUD from Addicted To Audio.  What a great DAP and at that price very competitive against other brands.  X5 ii $440, X7 $870, HiFIMAN Super mini $600, Lotoo PAW 500 $450
Great prices on other A&K DAPs as well.

Junior is clear and balanced, with a leaning to the warm side.  Plenty of power and the UI hasn't caused me any concern.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #2,803 of 3,321
  Purchased an AK JR for $400 AUD from Addicted To Audio.  What a great DAP and at that price very competitive against other brands.  X5 ii $440, X7 $870, HiFIMAN Super mini $600, Lotoo PAW 500 $450
Great prices on other A&K DAPs as well.

Junior is clear and balanced, with a leaning to the warm side.  Plenty of power and the UI hasn't caused me any concern.

Can you tell us a little more how you think AK JR compares to PAW 5000? I can relate to that player.

My AK JR is at the delivery facility but we've hit a long weekend for New Years.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,804 of 3,321

Can you tell us a little more how you think AK JR compares to PAW 5000? I can relate to that player.

No I can't.  I haven't heard the PAW.  Unfortunately I don't live where you can try before you buy.  My post was about AK being price competitive against the alternatives.

From a sound perspective it would be hard to accept that anyone would not be impressed with the AK JR.  Add to that build quality, slim form factor, touch screen, intuitive UI design and you have a DAP at $400 that can compete with good home systems coupled with an efficient headphone.  For the record I use Ultrasone Signature Pro and Bose Q25. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,805 of 3,321
Whats the sound difference between AK Jr. and Ak100II. Maybe I get an opportuntity for a cheap AK 100II...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back