Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,626 of 3,321
  Anyone feel like the volume wheel is a bit loose? I just got my Jr. secondhand today, and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I can wiggle the wheel up and down a bit without actually making a click. Is this normal?

There is a little bit of play between each click of the wheel. I find it makes turning the wheel easier with the tip of a finger. If it were too stiff I'd probably have to grip the whole tiny player just to change volume.

As long as yours still clicks and the volume actually goes up/down a half point with each click I wouldn't worry about it.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,627 of 3,321

There is a little bit of play between each click of the wheel. I find it makes turning the wheel easier with the tip of a finger. If it were too stiff I'd probably have to grip the whole tiny player just to change volume.

As long as yours still clicks and the volume actually goes up/down a half point with each click I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks! I should've bought it from Best Buy for $300, but... it's easier to share the cost of a used one with a sibling 
biggrin.gif
 Quite happy with it so far, though scanning a 200gb microsd takes forever. Is it supposed to format (or should I format) the microSD? Mine just started scanning.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,628 of 3,321
  Thanks! I should've bought it from Best Buy for $300, but... it's easier to share the cost of a used one with a sibling 
biggrin.gif
 Quite happy with it so far, though scanning a 200gb microsd takes forever. Is it supposed to format (or should I format) the microSD? Mine just started scanning.

Good luck on the microsd card.  I am still trying to get one to formatted and working with the JR.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,630 of 3,321
I've been using a 128gb card with mine for a while now (formatted with FAT32).

I would try letting the player format the card first then add files. If that doesn't work, format using a computer but (depending on the OS) you may need to download a special SD formatting program to see the fat32 option. If that fails, then it sounds like the card capacity is too large for the Jr. or that specific card is incompatible (assuming the card works in other devices).

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,631 of 3,321
  I've been using a 128gb card with mine for a while now (formatted with FAT32).

I would try letting the player format the card first then add files. If that doesn't work, format using a computer but (depending on the OS) you may need to download a special SD formatting program to see the fat32 option. If that fails, then it sounds like the card capacity is too large for the Jr. or that specific card is incompatible (assuming the card works in other devices).

My player seems to work with my 200gb as-is, without formatting it first. Could there be slower speeds because the Jr didn't format it, or once it works it's the same across the board?

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,637 of 3,321
  USB DAC function doesn't seem to work on any of my USB ports, even though I'm sure they're not all 3.0... 

Try using all the micros-usb cables you've lying around in your home. It is very picky with cables. The cable that came with my one plus phone works fine and it enables Jr to be used an external DAC.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,638 of 3,321
  Just picked mine AK jr up at BH two days ago for 299 + tax replacing Fiio X5 II. Fiio was good enough with very few insignificant issues. Right out of the box I was sure I did the right thing but now I start doubt if it was right choice. For sure the stage is wider and tone is clearer in AK jr :) but don't really like few significant things:

1. As Gudedomo mentioned above, it wont turn on screen sometimes but the buttons and wheel still working fine so you need to restart it. Happened three times for two days of use.
2. It freezes when I connect it to my Debian Linux as DAC. Haven't tried on Mac and Windows yet.
3. Interface, slow and weak with limited options.
4. Latest update (1.03) was a year ago. Which means those issues won't be fixed soon.

Really don't know if I should keep it and hope there is no restocking fee for the issues I experience if I return it.

Pair it with W40

I too bought ak jr as a replacement for the fiio x5 2nd gen which was fine for the first year and naturally, the month right after the warranty runs out, the wheel starts to feel like it's going to fall offplus the battery life seemed like it only lasted about 5.5 hours and I usually have the screen turned off.  I didn't feel like sending it to Fiio for serving since I'd be out of a hi-res player.  So far I love my ak jr which has no problems.  The only thing I don't like is the sharp corners but I ordered a case for it so it should be easier to handle and I like the fact that you don't have to turn the screen on when forwarding to the next track like you do with the fiio x5 2nd gen

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,639 of 3,321

Try using all the micros-usb cables you've lying around in your home. It is very picky with cables. The cable that came with my one plus phone works fine and it enables Jr to be used an external DAC.

I got a cable which works with it - at least for charging and for storage. It seems weird that it would be fine for those two connecting purposes, but not as an external dac.

Does anyone have any issues scrolling? I don't have a screen protector on it yet, but it's very hard for me to get it to scroll down the way touchscreens usually do.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #2,640 of 3,321
  I got a cable which works with it - at least for charging and for storage. It seems weird that it would be fine for those two connecting purposes, but not as an external dac.

Does anyone have any issues scrolling? I don't have a screen protector on it yet, but it's very hard for me to get it to scroll down the way touchscreens usually do.

Jr.'s dac is very finicky (think its why so few daps have that feature). You can use the right cable and the right usb 2.0 port and it still may not work (even if charging and storage access works).

I've gotten the dac to work on a few machines except for my main music PC. Updated the bios and disabled XHCI for usb but seems the Jr. may not be compatible with some motherboards.

As for the scrolling, mine is sluggish as well. The Jr. isn't running Android and I doubt it has much RAM or cpu power so I never expect it to be as smooth as some smartphones. But it works ok most of the time and the amazing sound quality makes it worthwhile.

EDIT: However, once you start scrolling, there is a very thin bar that appears on the right side of the screen. You can scroll much faster up/down using the bar. Still tricky to get your finger in the right place for fast scrolling but, again, it does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back