Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,581 of 3,321
I don't have use for a DAC anyway as my music listening is directly out of my AK Jr. And its slim form factor is awesome for portable use.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,587 of 3,321
Does your mac and pc have usb 2.0 or 3.0?

I've a 3 year old Macbook Pro and it has both USB2.0 and USB 3.0 if I'm right.

Didn't work on my MacBook Air, and AK's solution was to downgrade my OS to something that was over a year old. No thanks, AK needed to work on a firmware update. Then they stopped replying completely to my questions. I hope you enjoy yours, because my life is much better without it.

Astell & Kern are really pathetic in support and also when it comes to releasing firmware upgrades. However AK100ii got some firmware upgrades, but with AK Jr not much. But the form factor and sound quality is very good with AK Jr. But for the exorbitant money that AK charges for their products, they should do a better job with customer support and firmware.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,588 of 3,321

I've a 3 year old Macbook Pro and it has both USB2.0 and USB 3.0 if I'm right.

Astell & Kern are really pathetic in support and also when it comes to releasing firmware upgrades. However AK100ii got some firmware upgrades, but with AK Jr not much. But the form factor and sound quality is very good with AK Jr. But for the exorbitant money that AK charges for their products, they should do a better job with customer support and firmware.

I suspect you have USB 3.0 since that arrived on MBP's in 2012.  If you are looking to get the Jr. DAC function working with your mac there is are instructions in the AK240 thread.

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,589 of 3,321
  I suspect you have USB 3.0 since that arrived on MBP's in 2012.  If you are looking to get the Jr. DAC function working with your mac there is are instructions in the AK240 thread.

Please link to the AK240 solution. After spending an evening last year sifting through that thread myself, the solution DID NOT work.

The bottom line is AK should have worked on a firmware update, they advertised an option that did not work with a large portion of up to date computers. All my other USB DAC's work fine with my 2013 MacBook Air...

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #2,590 of 3,321

The bottom line is AK should have worked on a firmware update, they advertised an option that did not work with a large portion of up to date computers. All my other USB DAC's work fine with my 2013 MacBook Air...

Agreed. They should never have advertised the Jr.'s flaky 'dac' function.

We've all been saying for the past year the Jr. definitely needs new firmware. But it seems A&K doesn't think their lowest price player is worth the time.

I have a dozen computers (including several old netbooks, deaktops, laptops, and tablets). However, I've only gotten the dac feature to work on 2 or 3 of them (and even those only work with it sometimes).

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,594 of 3,321
And is there a way to use the micro usb for Audio out, instead of the headphone jack at the top?

Thankfully I've had no issue with using it as a dac, my computer has 3 slots, 1x 3.0 And 2 x 2.0
As long as I don't use the 3.0 I am good.
I am loving this little player more and more everyday!

Cheers to all of you,

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,595 of 3,321
And is there a way to use the micro usb for Audio out, instead of the headphone jack at the top?

Thankfully I've had no issue with using it as a dac, my computer has 3 slots, 1x 3.0 And 2 x 2.0
As long as I don't use the 3.0 I am good.
I am loving this little player more and more everyday!

Cheers to all of you,

AK Jr doesn't support usb audio out.

Ak100ii, ak120ii etc are to get a firmware update to get usb audio out feature like in ak70. This is per astell & kern. A video link is available somewhere in this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back