Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #226 of 3,321
What do you thing about sony a15... Is there any chance jr is far better than a15??.. I'm looking for a slim dap since i had enough with brick like dap.. But i dont wanna have a crappy sound dap as well..

May 25, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #227 of 3,321
What do you thing about sony a15... Is there any chance jr is far better than a15??.. I'm looking for a slim dap since i had enough with brick like dap.. But i dont wanna have a crappy sound dap as well..

I had the A17 and I returned it the next day I thought my X1 sounded richer and more power for sure. It also had a lot of hiss compared to the X1. So I'm sure the Jr. is far better.

May 26, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #229 of 3,321
The A15 is a fair bit cheaper and should really be compared to X1/3 in my view. What I love best about my A15 is it reminds me of earlier cassette Walkman and can take a fair bit of abuse.

May 26, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #230 of 3,321
The A15 is a fair bit cheaper and should really be compared to X1/3 in my view. What I love best about my A15 is it reminds me of earlier cassette Walkman and can take a fair bit of abuse.

And also A15 has great battery life!

In my country, you can get 2 A15s with the same money if you buy AK Jr. I just want to make sure if AK Jr is a worth upgrade from A15. 

May 26, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #231 of 3,321
Again, I'm going to come at my fellow Head-Fiers straight out of left field  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Understandable that folk are continuing to ask how the Jnr compares to players X. Y and Z for sound quality and its ability to drive certain 'phones, particularly given the lack of any optical output for use with another DAC or DAC/amp combination. My question is simple - does the Jnr or any of the AK range support USB OTG ? I

The reason I've chosen a phone hooked to Geek Out v1 is that the hype around GO v2 is completely off the charts, particularly for a $225 device (pre-orfer price) that hasnt even shipped yet from a company notorious for keeping customers waiting for their toys. If you havent followed any of purrin's rambling thread, this wont mean much:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/4800#post_11568825

If you have, its the equivalent of someone who refuses to own anything with a Chevrolet badge on it telling the world he thinks the new  'Vette Camaro is 'impressive'. If he was just pulling people's chains, fine, but others seem to have been blown away by it even if they admit expectations have to be managed when you're talking about a USB-stick DAC/amp : overall the consensus seems to be that LHLabs have pulled one out of the hat with this thing. USB OTG would put this - and other affordable portable gizmos - at the fingertips of those who crave better SQ and (potentially) more power : just putting it out there. 

Again, if your endgame is focussed on the form factor, this will be a massive fail - if not it may be of some consequence. If the OTG question has been answered previously, my Google-fu needs sharpening - apologies in advance. 

May 26, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #232 of 3,321
AK's only impress me when their double Dapped, so I didn't like the 100, but loved the 120. I will be sticking with my fully burn't in A10, unless honest folk say it's better than ye olde 120.

May 26, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #233 of 3,321
  AK's only impress me when their double Dapped, so I didn't like the 100, but loved the 120. I will be sticking with my fully burn't in A10, unless honest folk say it's better than ye olde 120.

I'm hoping you mean 'double DAC'd' : as discussed earlier in this thread, the jury is still out as to whether or not having two DAC chips automatically makes one source better than another : I've long been of the opinion that implementation is the key. If that wasnt the case, everyone would simply rush to their cheapest offering containing their preferred chip and sadly life isnt that simple. 

May 26, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #234 of 3,321
@ drsheep and Richsvt. I cannot seem to find this on the AK site, and the manual for this device is not yet up either: ,

What is the battery life for the AK Jr? What is the charge time? Thanks!

Also, @ Richsvt, were you also able to effectively use a 128gb Microsd card (drsheep has, and I'm curious if this is a consistent workable application given that AK says the device only supports cards up to 64gb).

Thanks!

May 26, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #235 of 3,321
Also, @ Richsvt, were you also able to effectively use a 128gb Microsd card (drsheep has, and I'm curious if this is a consistent workable application given that AK says the device only supports cards up to 64gb).

Thanks!

Do you mean: have you loaded more than 64Gb of data on your card? Did you ensure that Jr is able to see every file on this "more than 64Gb" amount of data?
That is the question IMHO.

But as soon as the device runs with exFAT32 formatted SD Card (even if not officialy) then there might not be any problem for overtaking the 64Gb limit.

May 26, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #236 of 3,321
@ drsheep and Richsvt. I cannot seem to find this on the AK site, and the manual for this device is not yet up either: ,

Thanks!

83.7 Gb filled in my 128Gb card and no issue.  I am trying to attach the manual to the post but it won't let me.

p.s. I do think that the AK240 is OTG, and maybe the AK100II and AK120II also.

May 26, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #237 of 3,321
Gracias, drsheep. Do you have any information, either from your experience or from your user manual, about battery life?

Thanks again
Steve

May 26, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #238 of 3,321
Gracias, drsheep. Do you have any information, either from your experience or from your user manual, about battery life?

Thanks again
Steve

I haven't had a chance to do a complete burn test yet, but I guess I can do it tonight and see (with DSD for worse case).  However, with 24/192 FLAC I think it should last over 6 hours.

May 26, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #239 of 3,321

Thanks!

I do have a 128g card in my 100ii that I can try. Will do that tonight and check it out.

The battery longevity is uncertain. I charged it when I got it on Friday. I used it a good deal on Sat/Sun and then I had it plugged in to upload songs for quite a bit so the battery was charging when I was doing that. I used it again last night and the battery meter was on full. Will have to wait to see on regular usage on how long it lasts.

May 26, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #240 of 3,321

I do have a 128g card in my 100ii that I can try. Will do that tonight and check it out.

The battery longevity is uncertain. I charged it when I got it on Friday. I used it a good deal on Sat/Sun and then I had it plugged in to upload songs for quite a bit so the battery was charging when I was doing that. I used it again last night and the battery meter was on full. Will have to wait to see on regular usage on how long it lasts.

Thanks for the info, and for checking things out on the battery and the microsd card, Rich. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back