Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #721 of 1,018
I decided to try my 1Plus2.2 balanced tonight from AK300. it sounded considerably worse than single ended imo. For some reason there was a large veil over the sound, it's rather disappointing. I'll be switching back to the regular 3.5mm cable.

I´ve experienced the same with Shure SE215. SE sounded much better than balanced, for whatever reason.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #722 of 1,018

I´ve experienced the same with Shure SE215. SE sounded much better than balanced, for whatever reason.

REALLY??? I just ordered some custom balanced cables for my CIEMs....

There goes couple hundred bucks. What AK???

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #723 of 1,018
"Anyone know whats wrong with the EQ? Seems to mute the sound drastically even when small amounts of EQ is applied.

Looking for EQ? The EQ on ASTELL & KERN PLAYERS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE NON FUNCTIONAL, my analogy is that it's like a GAS oven and no matter how high or low you turn the dials to the burner so the flame can cook faster or slower but the flame does extremely little if any adjustment. So if you listen to anything other than classical or acoustic music there are not many genres that this player makes better or even amped up in terms of sound quality. I bought both ak 70 and ak 300 from announcement of tidal which half works by the way(offline issues) and I could not return them fast enough...it made me rethink the digital portable player movement. I actually had the best sound experience with Iphone 6 and chord mojo because the mojo can be EQ with 3rd party apps using a OTG cable. AND IT SOUNDS AMAZING. FAT JUICY BASS, CLEAR HIGHS HIP HOP REALLY REALLY SOUNDS PHENOMENAL and I use both AUDEZE EL8 OPEN BACK headphones and SHURE 846 In ears! INCREDIBLE but sorry man, this is the best your going to get! 

Would this consider as a lemon?

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #724 of 1,018
I decided to try my 1Plus2.2 balanced tonight from AK300. it sounded considerably worse than single ended imo. For some reason there was a large veil over the sound, it's rather disappointing. I'll be switching back to the regular 3.5mm cable.

Any ideas why that might be.. ?

c/o A&K FB's site:

29926323962_b2bda9c476_b.jpg

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #725 of 1,018
I don't know why, sounded very dull and lifeless with my Tralucent earphone. I'm not sure how it will respond with other IEM.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #727 of 1,018
  The AK300 has finally arrived! I'm very impressed with its performance sound quality wise although the amp could do a little better. Overall, very happy.

Nice! Does it sound good with the amp though? I'm considering it too for my HD800s.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #729 of 1,018

It sounds incredible! I was hoping the amp would give out a little more power but still very adequate for a nice and enjoyable experience! 

It doesn´t have enough output for the HD800? Do you drive it balanced or single ended?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #730 of 1,018

It doesn´t have enough output for the HD800? Do you drive it balanced or single ended?

Single ended (power is adequate but I wished for a little bit more power). I guess I'll need some sort of an adapter to use the balanced cable, I have the Sennheiser CH 800 S cables. Any recommendation for a good cable to take advantage of the balanced port on the AK amp?  

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #734 of 1,018

Yup. Quite a lot more.

Really? the output power for the AK300 is 1.9A for both SE and Balanced... Unless I am missing something. The latter in theory should sound better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back