Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,167 of 9,041
1.25: you can slide down the main menu to hide one row of icons to reduce redundancy, adds USB out so you are not confined to optical anymore, I don't see the balanced / unbalanced toggle anywhere though, don't know what's 'operational stability'.

Don't know why there are constant reports of sonic changes between firmwares, even the AK manager says there's none. 

Thanks, I am trying to make sure this version is stable before I make the change. Hate to switch back and forth.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,168 of 9,041
  I remember reading before on AK manager's Facebook timeline that someone commented on sound changes after an update, then the manager was like 'there shouldn't be any, let me relay this to the sound team to confirm'. Lol. A possible indication that it's all just placebo. 

I think it was admitted that sonic changes, for the better or worse, was beyond their control with each FW update

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #6,169 of 9,041

I think it was admitted that sonic changes, for the better or worse, was beyond their control with each FW update

I think that translates to they never meant for the firmwares to bring any changes to the sound then? At least they are not consciously doing it? Don't really understand why the software not touching any of the audio codes or the EQ  would result in sound differences. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #6,170 of 9,041
Ok going to do it now.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #6,171 of 9,041
  I think that translates to they never meant for the firmwares to bring any changes to the sound then? At least they are not consciously doing it? Don't really understand why the software not touching any of the audio codes or the EQ  would result in sound differences. 

Well, since the AK100 every FW update has changed the sonic nature of player be it large or small..

Even on the 380, the sonic difference between 1.18, 1.19 and 1.23 was quite drastic

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #6,172 of 9,041
Ok going to do it now.

I really like what they have done with the main menu, now you have the freedom to dedicate more of the screen to album art, instead of having to tolerate the 'Store' and 'Genre' buttons taking up screen real estate for example. The 'Store' doesn't even work where I live, the firmware is a welcomed addition. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #6,173 of 9,041
I never use the EQ function before. How do you get to the screen where you can flat out all the frequencies? I turned on EQ in setting and got into Pro EQ but that is all I can do.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6,174 of 9,041
I never use the EQ function before. How do you get to the screen where you can flat out all the frequencies? I turned on EQ in setting and got into Pro EQ but that is all I can do.

There's a drop down menu, where you can name a custom curve...once you type a name, it gives you access to the eq setting.

Just save as is.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #6,175 of 9,041
There's a drop down menu, where you can name a custom curve...once you type a name, it gives you access to the eq setting.

Just save as is.

Thanks, also pm sent.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #6,176 of 9,041
  1.25: you can slide down the main menu to hide one row of icons to reduce redundancy, adds USB out so you are not confined to optical anymore, I don't see the balanced / unbalanced toggle anywhere though, don't know what's 'operational stability'.

Don't know why there are constant reports of sonic changes between firmwares, even the AK manager says there's none. 

In 'settings' switch on 'display balanced out' - the toggle will appear on the volume screen.

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #6,177 of 9,041
Finally received my CD Ripper. Really is a one button operation . Works very well. It copies all songs titles and CD titles but not the album graphic art cover. Does anyone know if the ripper will do album covers? Or is it something has to be done manually, if so, how?

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,178 of 9,041
Finally received my CD Ripper. Really is a one button operation . Works very well. It copies all songs titles and CD titles but not the album graphic art cover. Does anyone know if the ripper will do album covers? Or is it something has to be done manually, if so, how?

Hi Jalo. I've been using the ripper for a few months now and found that all except two of my CD's album art was copied with np. The art comes from the same database as the rest of the tags as far as I can tell. It's there immediately after the message 'searching database'. For the two which didn't have album art I had to use other methods to find and assign it - I didn't see any method of finding it manually using the ripper. I guess maybe the ripper uses different databases in different parts of the world, but no idea if that would make a difference - I'm in the UK if it's any help.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #6,179 of 9,041
Thanks. If I put my cd in my computer, what kind of file will I be looking for usually? I guess I'll have to determine if there is an album cover first? Do all CDs have a album cover? And do I just copy it to the same folder?

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #6,180 of 9,041
Thanks. If I put my cd in my computer, what kind of file will I be looking for usually? And do I just copy it to the same folder?

You don't need to embed the cover art into the music file, so just google the album art and drop it into the album folder

Reboot and album will show...

Try to keep sizing around 500x500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back