Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #46 of 767
Quote:
Thanks for the info, you are the second person who seem to enjoy the AK120 and IE800. AK120 is certainly an overall improvement over the AK100 based on my experience as well. One thing is for sure is AK have got their size design right and battery life for a device of its kind is certainly on the very good side. 

The AK120 + IE800 are truly a match made in heaven IMO. iriver Korea is selling a super-package bundle with the AK120+IE800 + some custom optical cables + Hi-res tracks from Groovers.kr (http://shop.iriver.co.kr/Product/ProductView.aspx?prdtCode=407785). Sadly, it's completely sold out in Korea and it's not available in the US. 

​

Would you guys be interested in a super bundle package like this?

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #49 of 767
UPDATE, firmware 1.21 for AK120 has been released, and it can be downloaded from soundfidelity webpage. Link on second post on the first page. 

Note: As it appears few members have complained on the new firmware lower bass impact compared to firmware 1.0.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #50 of 767
I just got it, and personally, I couldn't imagine the AK120 with any less bass than it has in firmware 1.00. Any less than what it has now would be a show-stopper for me... Not that it's anemic, but deep bass is definitely not its forte as it is.
Just my $0.02...

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 767
Quote:
I just got it, and personally, I couldn't imagine the AK120 with any less bass than it has in firmware 1.00. Any less than what it has now would be a show-stopper for me... Not that it's anemic, but deep bass is definitely not its forte as it is.
Just my $0.02...

AK120 is more neutral/flat sounding than a bassy source.  How much bass you got depends more on the phones you're using.  It has slightly more bass and warmth than the even more neutral DX100.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #53 of 767
Quote:

AK120 is more neutral/flat sounding than a bassy source.  How much bass you got depends more on the phones you're using.  It has slightly more bass and warmth than the even more neutral DX100.

My impression was fresh out of the box, literally, so take my comments with a pinch of salt :wink:

Whether it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to its sound signature, or whether there'd been brain burn-in/DAP burn-in in the last ten hours or so, I find things to have settled down quite nicely from the treble-happy first listening sessions. I do find it has a good slam and bass does go deep indeed. That is, with FW 1.00. I haven't upgraded yet and I don't think I will until the next one, a few people seem to have a bit of trouble with it and not only soundwise.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #54 of 767
Quote:
This is a repeat for the SanDisk, but maybe it'll show consistency:

2 - SanDisk 64GB, exFAT, no problems (fingers crossed), connected to MacMini for downloads (24/96 flac/AIFF, 16/44 AIFF, Apple Lossless).

I upgraded to firmware 1.21 on my AK120 and it appears that my previous problem with not recognizing the microSD cards has not occurred anymore.  Keeping fingers crossed that this issue is fixed with the new firmware.
I am using Kingston 64Gb microSD cards.

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #57 of 767
Another confirmation that Sandisk 64gb in exFAT works perfectly, for now...

I never had any problems with the 64GB SanDisk cards after using it with the v.1.00 firmware for a week and a half. I believe the v.1.21 addresses problems with other cards.

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #59 of 767
The AK120 + IE800 are truly a match made in heaven IMO. iriver Korea is selling a super-package bundle with the AK120+IE800 + some custom optical cables + Hi-res tracks from Groovers.kr (http://shop.iriver.co.kr/Product/ProductView.aspx?prdtCode=407785). Sadly, it's completely sold out in Korea and it's not available in the US. 

Would you guys be interested in a super bundle package like this?

Hi JMoon

Please give us more information about these sets

Thank you

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #60 of 767
Here is what I have found for you Mr Rudi,

Iriver korea is selling a special bundle package called "Astell and Kern AK120 super package" priced at 2 290 000 Won (roughly for 2030 USD). The package includes:
  1. AK120
  2. IE800
  3. Optical in cable(55 USD)
  4. 3.5 mm out 1m(25 USD which is a bargain, seems like a true high quality mini to mini)

They used to sell one another bundle which also had a number of MQS albums and another bundle which contained only the AK120 and IE800. But they seem to no longer have that listed.
The package seem to be only for the south Korean market.

Hope that helps. 
Quote:
Hi JMoon

Please give us more information about these sets

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back