Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Sep 21, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #241 of 256
@atoniolin - the Arete over Lune was based on the copper/silver argument. I am not certain which way you want - but I like my audio a bit warmer, and from what I read (havent done any experimentation myself) copper is better at that than silver. So I went with Arete. Nothing scientific. The quality of the cable is pretty awesome, and I love it. I got it in black/red which - though just optical - adds to the experience for me. The mmcx connectors are the same color as the T8 so it almost looks OEM.

I am based in HK (originally from Singapore - so have heard good things about NA locally in SG) so NA was closer. I did not want to spend too much money either and these were cheaper. This is my first custom cable so the pricing was good for me too. They were pretty good at answering my questions and assisting me with making appropriate selection. The mic and volume control work flawlessly, and the build quality is awesome.

Sole issue I have - and this is specific to my setup - I am using this with the ES100. The cables or the central connector hitting the ES100 produces a lot of unwanted noise (unsure if this is microphonics or not). That would have been fixed with a shorter cable but I wanted the option of running this wired as well when the ES100 is out of battery.

Wired performance is excellent. At least to my ears, the NA cables sound much better than the stock cables and look far cooler. Mic/controls work flawlessly. I have read some comments on build quality which slate NA cables, but I havent seen any issues. I travel frequently so the entire set gets stashed into my carry on while going through security without much due care etc. and I have not seen any issues in the 3 months till date.

Let know if there is anything else I can comment on.

Thanks
TC

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Can you post a photo of how your T8 + Arete III setup looks like? Did you also get the Mic Remote + Right angle connector? Kinda prefer right angle like the OEM cable over a straight plug.

I'm near Singapore too and considering the Arete/Lune. Actually I heard from opinions here on Headfi and reddit that people preferred the Moon Audio Silver Dragon over the Null Audio stuff; do you have any experience with that?

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #243 of 256
I tried the Acoustune ARC01 Unbalanced MMCX 3.5mm cable and I found it to be not too bad actually. It costs about USD 100 in my area and it definitely looks sturdy and long lasting. But it's heavy! Noticeably heavy when you pick it up, compared to the stock cable. I think when listening to music, someone can come from behind and garrote me and get away with it. Seriously.

But it comes with a nice thick cable with 1 year warranty and apparently '114 strands of OFC' and is 'triple shielded' whatever that means. SQ wise because of the copper wire, I placeboed and heard more bass impact and recessed highs but I'm not sure if its true as I only tried it for 10 mins across 3 tracks.

But I put it down simply because it was a... a WHIP. It wasn't a headphone cable. Too inflexible and too heavy. Built like a tank though. But no thanks.
https://jaben.com.my/collections/acoustune/products/acoustune-arc-mmcx-cable

So I kept looking...
---------------------------------
Gotta say, instead of going for the higher end Null Audio, Moon Audio, Linum, Toxic Audio, etc, I thought why not play around for fun.

So, I just bought a Chinese MMCX cable for the lulz but I'm seriously impressed... It sounds almost as good as the stock cable, fits well, no microphonics, won't tangle due to the braid structure (unlike the stock cable which tangles more than a snake!).

It does look a bit cheap, but SQ wise, it's almost as good, with a bit of mid bass boost and recessed subbass, mids are a bit peaky, but highs are enhanced and sibilance prone (bad for AK T8 which already has treble emphasis) and the 3d soundstaging is slightly compressed and sometimes instruments are a bit more congested than I recall.

Otherwise, it's just as loud, as energetic, and vocals still come out clear and nice. Bass kick is still what I remember it to be, impulse response is still fast to keep up, etc. I was hoping for a flat-ish sound signature and I think I got it for ONLY USD 8 including shipping. There were no official reviews whatsover, so it was a leap of faith purchase. Gotta say, it's so good I now want to buy the higher end cable around USD 30 just to see what happens. :-D

I think I'm now on the 'cables don't do anything to SQ' side of the fence on the cable-SQ debate. Haha.

Here's the link. Disclaimer: I'm just sharing my experience. I don't know the seller, just happened to buy and try it for fun and it was worth much much more than I expected. Maybe I had too low expectations for a USD 8 cable? :p
https://shopee.com.my/product/6548893/1242842913

Product Description
Been looking for the perfect MMCX cable for your IEM with the best value for money ??
Love the KZ multibraided silver-plated cable design but find it disappointing because it doesn't have the MMCX connector variant ??
KZ hears what you folks out there have been looking for in ages !
So now we have it, the new KZ MMCX Multibraided Upgrade Cable.

Features --------------
● 8 cores multi-braid cable design, soft and lightweight.
● Silver plated OCC copper cable for lossless audio signal transmission, enhances audio quality.
● Coated with kevlar fibre for high cable strength and resiliency, extends its durability.
● Universal MMCX connector compatible with all IEMs with MMCX interface.
● HIFI grade 3.5mm gold-plated plug with straight metallic design.
● Memory wire earguide design, act as bendable earguide to help your IEM stays in your ear with a tight and secure fit.
● All around audio improvement: enhances high frequency extension, smooth out uneven treble response, give fuller sound with more body to female vocals, improves overall details, clarity and transparency.

Specifications -----------------------
Brand: KZ Model:
MMCX Multibraided Upgrade Cable
Cable type: Silver-plated OCC cable
Cable specs: 8 cores
Cable length: 1.2M
Impedance: N/A
Connector type: MMCX
Connection: 3.5mm gold-plated straight hifi plug
Compatible model: All IEMs with MMCX profile

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #245 of 256
Hi, I tried both versions of the Crystal Cable, and both matches perfectly to the T8ie mkII.
From what I have tried (incl many TOTL cables from Beat Audio, Effect Audio and Labkable)
I found that Crystal Cable have its own characteristics which would bring out the background instruments and wider the soundstage.

I think it one of the best cable that suit the t8ie mk2.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #249 of 256
I let my friend try my T8 a few days back.. all he said was all I needed to hear.. "It sounds exactly like the T1" :p I was so proud. More expensive, but in a tiny mobile package.
FYI, I stuck with a cheap $20 "gold plated OCC copper" cable but it gives me the clarity I want and the warm bass I need. Holding off a $200 cable till I get a better job :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #250 of 256
I let my friend try my T8 a few days back.. all he said was all I needed to hear.. "It sounds exactly like the T1" :p I was so proud. More expensive, but in a tiny mobile package.
FYI, I stuck with a cheap $20 "gold plated OCC copper" cable but it gives me the clarity I want and the warm bass I need. Holding off a $200 cable till I get a better job :)
Can you show me or link me your cable :wink:

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #251 of 256
Oh really? Never had T1 but I have DT 1990 and I feel it a bit sibilant but I never felt it for T8; it’s such non fatiguing sound that I always turn the volume up for T8, while with DT 1990 I keep turning it down because it could be intense sometimes.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #255 of 256
Post deleted and replaced!

I had experienced a lack of sub-bass, but thorough testing last night showed that there must have been an issue with seal with the Spiral Dot tips I used. Changing to Spinfit and the original silicone tips resolved the issue and I am getting a clean and deep reaching sub bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back