Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2
Nov 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

flymetothemoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone heard more on the AK-100Mk2?

Seen in the Chinese sites and is on sale now.

3 ohm output impedance

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=ak100mk2&rs=up&rsclick=13

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 182
More information...

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 182
I believe that this is what you are referring to, this MkII version of the AK100.

We (ALO audio) are happy to say we now have in stock the new AK100 Mk2 version. Now with less than 3 Ohm output impedance. In stock now ready to ship. For more information please click the image below.

Ken @ ALO 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 182
Can someone explain what the change in the impedance spec means and what it will mean to sound quality?  I typically thorough enclosed headphones if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 182
  Can someone explain what the change in the impedance spec means and what it will mean to sound quality?  I typically thorough enclosed headphones if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

If you have low impedance headphones, it can cause problems with their frequency response. 

In other news, did anyone else facepalm when, after taking TONS of heat, they seem to still not really get it. I mean, 3-ohm is much better. But they couldn't go down south of 1? I would still take the RWAK100 over this any day. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 182

Thanks in advance.

Willieboy,

Here is some info on all this. The basic gist according to the author claims that your headphone earphone will perform best when the output impedance is 1/8 that of your headphone earphones impedance. So for instance if your IEMs are 43/45 ohm like mine (FitEar 334s) are 43/8 = 5.3 ohm.

Hope the info is helpful.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 182
So, if my Sennheiser 600 have a 300 OHM impedence spec, I would be better of with the AK100 than the Ak100MkII since the AK100 has the higher output impedence?

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 182
I still cannot believe why iriver is not offering a trade to the early buyers (like me) - we are being "punished" by having to spend 300 USD on a  mod  or buying the same player again - with the only difference of the lower impedance to what we already got.

I really would expect better treatment by iriver for such an expensive gadget.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 182
I still cannot believe why iriver is not offering a trade to the early buyers (like me) - we are being "punished" by having to spend 300 USD on a  mod  or buying the same player again - with the only difference of the lower impedance to what we already got.

Seriously? It was a clearly published spec. You chose to purchase it as such, you're definitely not entitled to any sort of trade in. Samsung doesn't owe you Galaxy S4 because you bought a 3, either.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 182
Seriously? It was a clearly published spec. You chose to purchase it as such, you're definitely not entitled to any sort of trade in. Samsung doesn't owe you Galaxy S4 because you bought a 3, either.

This and it may be more than just replacing a couple of resistors. I just bought a new NAS and 4 drives before Black Friday. Won't be asking for adjustments. I made my choice and am happy with it. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 182

Maybe they'll send you a free Dock as well since it a current special on the 100 and 120. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 182

I think you did not understand what I meant. I was one off the early buyers, definitely one of the first in Germany. I bought my AK 100 in feb 2013. Only afterwards has it become obvious - especially through the Head-Fi community - that the output impedance of the stock AK100 is way too high to drive many sensitive Multi BA IE. And this was not a spec that was known or communicated when I bought it. (just to make that clear)
To my mind IIriver had simply not thought about this detail when they designed the AK100. After the ****storm they changed the output impedance with the AK120 and they also did so with the AK100 MKII with 3 Ohm output. Unfortunately for us Europeans you can still only get it in Japan and South Korea and now in the USA.
They never admitted that they made a mistake in the product design probably because they feared that many customers would give back their units and claim compensation.

To put it in a nutshell - if you bought the product early like I did you are stuck with it and can either keep it and accept the restrictions with in IE HP or sell it and loose money there or mod it and pay 250 - 300 USD for it and accept loss of guarantee. Each case is not satifying to me.

I do not want to rant and rave - there has been a lot of discussion about this on the AK100 thread - you can get a good picture of the history there if you are interested.

Anyway I feel that as a customer who pays a lot of money for such a player you can expect to get a product that is in general flawless - and don't get me wrong, I do like it with respect to form factor, design, and also the sound (with headphones that can be used).

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 182
You fully accepted those restrictions when you bought and then kept it in the 1st place. If you felt it lacking, you should have returned it. If not, be happy or move on. They never 'changed' the output impedance of the AK120 or AK100. They introduced a new model. There is nothing to claim. Go ahead and have a go at that, LOL. The unit works and works well with some low impedance IEMs. The XBA-4 is a multi driver BA with an 8 ohm impedance and is often noted as a great sounding match to the AK100. We were discussing it's output impedance in 2012 and AK already had this response before the new year. Taken from a Headphonia review dated 12/19/2012:
“Dear All,

I think you guys already known about “RWAK100”
Well, here are our mentions for this issue, please refer to it.

If you change AK100’s output impedance into 0 ohm (by taking off resistance)

PROS :
1. Sound become powerful.
2. enrich sound of high impedance
3. better balance for Armature unit drive earphone.

CONS :
1. Each headset has limitation of maximum output. By reducing impedance of AK100, there could be deterioration of headset and it cause short of circuit. In this case, it consume over 2W electric power and make damage of AK100 circuit.
2. When there is Static Electricity, it can easily damage of AK100. In this case, even it plays but there is no sound.
3. VOC and PL regulation issue will be happed by causing hypacusis and deafness.
4. Even it improves the sound power, it reduces smooth and delicate sound detail of AK100.

Why it still has a 3 ohm output impedance rather than below 1 ohm.

There is nothing defective about it and your post is very much a rant.

They are still selling the standard AK100 as well. Just stop. I hate when folks decide to buy something and then have expectations or bad feelings towards a company after a new model or improvements are made. If you don't like what you have, you shouldn't have bought it in the 1st place or did so for the wrong reasons. This is like the kid that starts a fight because he got what he perceives as the smaller 1/2 of a split chocolate bar even though he had nothing before.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 182

I think you did not understand what I meant. I was one off the early buyers, definitely one of the first in Germany. I bought my AK 100 in feb 2013. Only afterwards has it become obvious - especially through the Head-Fi community - that the output impedance of the stock AK100 is way too high to drive many sensitive Multi BA IE. And this was not a spec that was known or communicated when I bought it. (just to make that clear)
To my mind IIriver had simply not thought about this detail when they designed the AK100. After the ****storm they changed the output impedance with the AK120 and they also did so with the AK100 MKII with 3 Ohm output. Unfortunately for us Europeans you can still only get it in Japan and South Korea and now in the USA.
They never admitted that they made a mistake in the product design probably because they feared that many customers would give back their units and claim compensation.

To put it in a nutshell - if you bought the product early like I did you are stuck with it and can either keep it and accept the restrictions with in IE HP or sell it and loose money there or mod it and pay 250 - 300 USD for it and accept loss of guarantee. Each case is not satifying to me.

I do not want to rant and rave - there has been a lot of discussion about this on the AK100 thread - you can get a good picture of the history there if you are interested.

Anyway I feel that as a customer who pays a lot of money for such a player you can expect to get a product that is in general flawless - and don't get me wrong, I do like it with respect to form factor, design, and also the sound (with headphones that can be used).

Sorry that you didn't know about it. But that spec was clearly published months ahead of release in any market. Certainly long before the purchase date you cite. That you didn't understand the spec is not the fault of the manufacturer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back