Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #3,571 of 4,091
Does anyone have an idea what was in the latest SP3K update?
I haven't seen any changes whatsoever. Shouldn't development be driven by user feedback? Performance optimisations and improvements really doesn't mean much at all.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #3,572 of 4,091
Does anyone have an idea what was in the latest SP3K update?
I haven't seen any changes whatsoever. Shouldn't development be driven by user feedback? Performance optimisations and improvements really doesn't mean much at all.
Primary change was to fix the date issue where manually setting the date would not go past 2023. There were a few system optimizations and minor bug fixes pushed in this update, but due to priority of the date fix, it was decided to delay other updates to the next firmware update rather than holding this one for additional work and testing.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #3,573 of 4,091
DAR is incredible. I just started using it and, I have no idea why I waited so long to check it out. Crazy impressive.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #3,574 of 4,091
Thanks for the response.

Personally, I would love to see something more "interesting" on the software features front- like an update on whether conversations with Roon will soon lead to lossless Roon ARC support.

Or enabling something that only A&K doesn't have- something akin to a turbo mode for driving more power hungry IEMs and headphones.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #3,575 of 4,091
Thanks for the response.

Personally, I would love to see something more "interesting" on the software features front- like an update on whether conversations with Roon will soon lead to lossless Roon ARC support.

Or enabling something that only A&K doesn't have- something akin to a turbo mode for driving more power hungry IEMs and headphones.
Roon Arc is a limitation of the Roon Arc app and needs to be fixed by Roon. AK or any other manufacturer has no control over that unfortunately. There are tons of posts in the Roon community threads on the Roon website where they said they are working on it. Bit-perfect Roon Arc support for USB dongles is also still in beta and while available in the Roon Arc app still hasn't been officially supported and moved out of beta.

With the sale of Roon to Harmon, not sure how that affects timeline on this, possibly may help with added resources now being available, especially since Harmon is owned by Samsung, which is one of the top Android hardware developers, we may see faster improvements with Android-based Roon apps.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #3,576 of 4,091
I think I’ve finally mastered the AK Equalizer. Using AutoEQ and setting it up for the same freq points, max min db and max min Q I have produced a few curves that have brought joy to my EE Odin and EVO. After entering the same curves in roon and switching between that and the AK EQ they appear to be identical. Finally enjoying hour long sessions with the Odin without the hot mids driving me crazy. I’ve done the same for my SP1000 with pleasing results also.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #3,577 of 4,091
Just tested Kann Ultra with side loaded Tidal App, version 2.98.2 and it seems to shine Green whenever MQA is played.
Otherwise the light is red and with DAR upsampling pink.
Not sure if that is prove enough that other A&K players seem to play yet bit perfect with sideloaded apk?

Attachments

• IMG_7745.jpeg
    IMG_7745.jpeg
    995.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #3,578 of 4,091
Just reading it's supposed to turn green for 24 bits depth.
Ok, so doesn't work either on Kann Ultra then

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #3,580 of 4,091
Using native stock Tidal or local file playback from SD card or Roon seems to work fine.
So whoever owns a Roon subscription that'll be my recommendation when playing at home at least

Attachments

• IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #3,582 of 4,091
Native stock Tidal is not compatible with FLAC, it should be MQA, this is why it works bit perfect.
I also recognized it's showing Master in stock app for songs which I found in sideloaded app as 24 bit versions but I know Tidal is keeping several file formats of same songs in its database.
No clue how that assignment process is working.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #3,583 of 4,091
I am contemplating getting one of these marvels rather than the more usual DAC/amp portable solution for the phone.

We will be spending a fair bit of time travelling in our motorhome this year and my wife tends to retire earlier than I do. That means that - since motorhomes are not especially soundproof - I cannot play music without headphones once she has gone to bed.

I had imagined getting a Hugo/2Go or perhaps even a WA8 but then I was reading about this player (actually the shiny gold one!) and I thought that it might actually have several advantages.

1. A single box is easier to manage than several plus cables etc
  2. Won't use battery from my phone
  3. More portable than several boxes
At home I use Roon, so it would work fine there. I cannot use ARC because our home internet is Starlink and they use CGNAT which means you cannot dial home. There are - apparently - some kludgey workarounds that may or may not work but they are beyond my paygrade when it comes to computers I am afraid. Hopefully there will eventually be a plug and play way to get ARC in these circumstances but for now not.

So when travelling I will use Qobuz/Tidal for most listening, with the few albums I own (all high res stuff from HD Tracks and Linn) loaded on board.

I mainly listen to acoustic jazz (especially Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, Miles Davis) and my main headphones at present are Focal Clear originals.

There are so many A&K players but I am leaning towards the 3K because it is the newest and so has most longevity, latest tech etc. To be honest the sheer size of the lineup makes it tricky to decide what would suit best. The 2000T also seemed a possibility but it is (I think) a bit older.

I would welcome the thoughts and suggestions of users; it is an expensive device (NZ$5,524 for the non-gold versions, $8,000 (!!) for the gold one) so I would not go there without seeking the wisdom of the tribe!

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #3,584 of 4,091
I am contemplating getting one of these marvels rather than the more usual DAC/amp portable solution for the phone.

We will be spending a fair bit of time travelling in our motorhome this year and my wife tends to retire earlier than I do. That means that - since motorhomes are not especially soundproof - I cannot play music without headphones once she has gone to bed.

I had imagined getting a Hugo/2Go or perhaps even a WA8 but then I was reading about this player (actually the shiny gold one!) and I thought that it might actually have several advantages.

At home I use Roon, so it would work fine there. I cannot use ARC because our home internet is Starlink and they use CGNAT which means you cannot dial home. There are - apparently - some kludgey workarounds that may or may not work but they are beyond my paygrade when it comes to computers I am afraid. Hopefully there will eventually be a plug and play way to get ARC in these circumstances but for now not.

So when travelling I will use Qobuz/Tidal for most listening, with the few albums I own (all high res stuff from HD Tracks and Linn) loaded on board.

I mainly listen to acoustic jazz (especially Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, Miles Davis) and my main headphones at present are Focal Clear originals.

There are so many A&K players but I am leaning towards the 3K because it is the newest and so has most longevity, latest tech etc. To be honest the sheer size of the lineup makes it tricky to decide what would suit best. The 2000T also seemed a possibility but it is (I think) a bit older.

I would welcome the thoughts and suggestions of users; it is an expensive device (NZ$5,524 for the non-gold versions, $8,000 (!!) for the gold one) so I would not go there without seeking the wisdom of the tribe!
Hi Kiwi,

Always benefitted of advice in the past, so wanted to share my humble 2cs with you.

I recently got the SP3000, as I decided to upgrade from my SP1000M. My go to headphones have been the Denon 9200, price-quality ratio considered some of the best closed headphones you can get. Balanced, great sound and tonality, and fantastic with all genres.

I was very happy with this setup, but due a health issue that will keep me staying at home a lot, I decided to give myself a gift, also thinking of it as a sort of musical therapy set up.

I listen mostly to Hi-res music I buy, and Qobuz, the only quality streaming that cuts it, imo. From classical, to all kinds of jazz and electronic. Most times not only because I like the music, but now also because I like how the music sounds in my gear!

Well, after a couple of months with the SP3000SS, I still can't believe my ears as to what an immense pleasure it is to listen to music inside the environment they create.
The usual praises: amazing balanced tonality, incredibly accurate and enjoyable 3d imaging. An immersive bubble of musical enjoyment.

Of course, as my Denons have been pushing it as far as they can, so just to finish my delight-therapy combo, I decided to get the Meze Elites, because it is obvious that there is just so much more in there I'm not receiving at the moment.

I'm sharing this with you because the combo SP3000-Elites is my decided solution for easy to drive, portable around the house, and in no need for any other gear solution. Quality and simplicity, which is something that it seems you might be going after as well.

My deciding factor was that you only live once, so if you can afford it, treat yourself where you can, to add quality to your living.

My experience with the SP3000 has blown away my expectations. I think it could be the same for many people. The caveat is that, if you decide and get it, I think you may see after some time as that the Clears may fall a bit short (here subjectivity is what counts), and at some point you too may want to upgrade headphones to get more. The SP3000 definitely deserves it.

Hope this helps!

Lui

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #3,585 of 4,091

You have all the rational worked out, maybe just add 4. amazing portable sound quality :)

Before move into the 3K, try to demo the SE300 (R2R DAC).
I did this move a few weeks ago, both amazing, but the R2R of the SE300 provide me more engagement, relax, fun than the valve amp of the 3K, whatever you choose you won't go wrong!

I've sold all my portable devices, even teh mojo2+poly which I tought that was never going to happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back