Astell&Kern A&Ultima SP2000T Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #48 of 763
Will the SP2000T be a streaming device where wifi works or like the SA700 where wifi Is terrible. Will Tidal work in offline mode? With My SA700 Tidal offline only works with initializing with wifi and only for one album.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #49 of 763
Will the SP2000T be a streaming device where wifi works or like the SA700 where wifi Is terrible. Will Tidal work in offline mode? With My SA700 Tidal offline only works with initializing with wifi and only for one album.
SP2000T has dual-band wi-fi supporting 2.4/5GHz a/b/g/n/ac

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #51 of 763
Very curious about this- even though it is not seen as a true SP2000 successor.
It still has plenty on top to offer in terms of amplification options, lighter (if bigger) chassis and better specs.

Very interested to see how it turns out.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #55 of 763
Yeah, exactly what I thought, 1 single Nutube to differentiated into balanced out. How else to fit into that little form facto
how they can offer a balanced output in tube mode with only one single Korg nutube?

or it’s really unnecessary two korg nutubes for stereo balanced output?

🤔🤔

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #56 of 763
how they can offer a balanced output in tube mode with only one single Korg nutube?

or it’s really unnecessary two korg nutubes for stereo balanced output?

🤔🤔
They can just similar to how any amplifier can take in Single Ended in into balanced output. As I mentioned, by going through a differential stages. This stage is important and will effect the sound quality

Yes, you do need dual Nutube in order to do a true balanced input-output

So in a sense, the 2KT will be running Single Ended DAC into Single Ended Nutube into balanced differential and into Balanced output

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #57 of 763
They can just similar to how any amplifier can take in Single Ended in into balanced output. As I mentioned, by going through a differential stages. This stage is important and will effect the sound quality

Yes, you do need dual Nutube in order to do a true balanced input-output

So in a sense, the 2KT will be running Single Ended DAC into Single Ended Nutube into balanced differential and into Balanced output

mmm…so, in theory, the balanced tube output will not outperform the sound quality of the single ended tube output?

interesting choice of development if it works like this 🤔

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #58 of 763
mmm…so, in theory, the balanced tube output will not outperform the sound quality of the single ended tube output?

interesting choice of development if it works like this 🤔
No, you are confused, but that is common

It goes like this. The source should be the most important, and you follow the sources

So, Balanced sources —-> Balanced output

Single Ended Source ——-> SE output .

You can do whatever you want but you need a differential stages

So, in this case of SP2KT, the Tube —> balanced out will has a lower quality than Solid state —-> Balanced out

That is because the DAC implementations is Balanced out, and using 1 single tube will have to differentiate the DAC into a single ended source before it can output Balanced again. The optimized performances should be Dual Nutubes for a True Balanced from DAC into a True Balanced Buffer of Dual Nutubes and into true Balanced output amplifier
Noticed that in this solid state mode, it is balanced DAC out toward Balanced Buffer and then into Balanced amp out. Hence technically speaking, Tubes mode even with balanced amp out, should be inferior to Solid-state Balanced out (logically). But sound is subjective, you go with what sounds best for you

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #59 of 763
No, you are confused, but that is common

It goes like this. The source should be the most important, and you follow the sources

So, Balanced sources —-> Balanced output

Single Ended Source ——-> SE output .

You can do whatever you want but you need a differential stages

So, in this case of SP2KT, the Tube —> balanced out will has a lower quality than Solid state —-> Balanced out

That is because the DAC implementations is Balanced out, and using 1 single tube will have to differentiate the DAC into a single ended source before it can output Balanced again. The optimized performances should be Dual Nutubes for a True Balanced from DAC into a True Balanced Buffer of Dual Nutubes and into true Balanced output amplifier
Noticed that in this solid state mode, it is balanced DAC out toward Balanced Buffer and then into Balanced amp out. Hence technically speaking, Tubes mode even with balanced amp out, should be inferior to Solid-state Balanced out (logically). But sound is subjective, you go with what sounds best for you
Thanks for yor explanation 👍

i will buy this DAP, nevertheless…because i have an enormous curiosity of how it will sound against the Cayin N8 😅

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #60 of 763
Thanks for yor explanation 👍

i will buy this DAP, nevertheless…because i have an enormous curiosity of how it will sound against the Cayin N8 😅
In this case, you should compare Tube Single ended Vs Tube Single ended on N8 :)

You are also right about that last post, specifically on the 2KT, the single ended out tube should be superior to balanced out when using tubes, except the balanced will offer more powerful output

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back