Astell and Kern iRiver High Resolution Player AK100 24/192 !!
Dec 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

ALO audio has in stock ready to ship the new iRiver high resolution player. Purchase a iRiver and Rx Mk3 amp and get a free SXC right angle mini to mini*.

Order yours today! HERE

Only at ALO audio

Thank you,

Ken

* until supplies last, act fast. 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 56
It looks like a real contender, but the volume knob doesn't look pocket-friendly to me. The specs are very impressive in spite of it...wish I had a spare $700 lying around. A lot of folks are excited for the Fiio X3, but I think this is quite intriguing, too.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 56
I'd love a large-capacity replacement for my iPod classic... This one looked tempting, esp. with 2 mSD slots, 16 hrs playback (theoretically anyway...), a compact design and a fairly clean-looking UI.

But the volume control really is mis-placed (could live with that), the impedance is said to be unusually high (bad for IEMs, but I could live with that), and there's no ALAC or AAC support for now (and there's NO WAY I'm converting all my files AGAIN, even if it's lossless...) Since both formats are open at this point, they could potentially add it in a firmware upgrade later, but I'm not laying out that kind of $$$ on a remote possibility... too bad.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 56
I passed off the DX100 just because of it's thickness and now I have to pass off this gorgeous looking player just because of the volume knob.
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 56
We were able to format  64gig Micro SDXC cards for the iRIver so effectively its possible to have 160gig of music, we will post some more detailed info on this on our blog. I have found the SD cards to be not very expensive so its good to have several on hand loaded with all my FLAC 24bit files. Let me try and address some of the other questions 

No I dont see it driving the HD500s at a optimum level, however we all here have been using a right angle mini to mini and the Mk3 amp, then yes everything is driven well.

ALAC or AAC is 16/44 - 48, I can understand the formatting hassle indeed. However the beauty of the iRiver player is its high resolution functionality, the play really shines when playing 24 bit files and should ideally used as such.

I have had zero issues with the iRiver not working perfectly with all manner of IEMs and earphones, sound is fantastic. 

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 56
I didn't find the DX100 to be too terribly thick when I had it in my hand at a Head-Fi meet up. I put it on a table and put my iPod w/ low-profile 3M dual lock attached to my Pico Slim (my setup at the time) and the DX100 was basically the same thickness. 
Quote:
I passed off the DX100 just because of it's thickness and now I have to pass off this gorgeous looking player just because of the volume knob.
confused.gif

I just noticed this thread and I am excited to see this device being sold on a well known site. I haven't seen it on Amazon yet like many news reports say it will be available. Hopefully some buyers will have it soon and start commenting on what they hear.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:
I didn't find the DX100 to be too terribly thick when I had it in my hand at a Head-Fi meet up. I put it on a table and put my iPod w/ low-profile 3M dual lock attached to my Pico Slim (my setup at the time) and the DX100 was basically the same thickness. 

I just noticed this thread and I am excited to see this device being sold on a well known site. I haven't seen it on Amazon yet like many news reports say it will be available. Hopefully some buyers will have it soon and start commenting on what they hear.

Support your local Head-fi.org sponsor and buy it right 
wink_face.gif
 HERE ALOAUDIO

Thank you

Ken

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ALAC or AAC is 16/44 - 48, I can understand the formatting hassle indeed. However the beauty of the iRiver player is its high resolution functionality, the play really shines when playing 24 bit files and should ideally used as such.

Just a clarification: ALAC does support HiRes audio, the 16/44.1 - 48 limitation is due to the iPod hardware/firmware (for which I did separate conversions). ALAC is in some ways just a different wrapper than FLAC around the lossless data, usually conversion is only limited by drive speed (read & re-write the files) rather than AAC or MP3 which actually require CPU-intensive transcoding.

One reason I was so excited: I have quite a few HD Tracks etc. albums in better quality that play back fine on my Mac and it would nice to enjoy their potential in portable use (as you wrote) I could probably reverse those few to FLAC format separately, but all my CD rips are in ALAC too and that'd be a LOT...

As far as AAC goes, yeah it's MP3-like, don't really use it or care, just mentioned it as a (currently) unsupported format.

Hopefully, given the price tag, iRiver will put some real effort behind this product and I'll be keeping an eye on it with my cc handy 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:
Quote:
Just a clarification: ALAC does support HiRes audio, the 16/44.1 - 48 limitation is due to the iPod hardware/firmware (for which I did separate conversions). ALAC is in some ways just a different wrapper than FLAC around the lossless data, usually conversion is only limited by drive speed (read & re-write the files) rather than AAC or MP3 which actually require CPU-intensive transcoding.

One reason I was so excited: I have quite a few HD Tracks etc. albums in better quality that play back fine on my Mac and it would nice to enjoy their potential in portable use (as you wrote) I could probably reverse those few to FLAC format separately, but all my CD rips are in ALAC too and that'd be a LOT...

As far as AAC goes, yeah it's MP3-like, don't really use it or care, just mentioned it as a (currently) unsupported format.

Hopefully, given the price tag, iRiver will put some real effort behind this product and I'll be keeping an eye on it with my cc handy 
biggrin.gif

GrumpyOldMan,

10-4

I personally am hoping for more releases from the record labels of the music vaults in high resolution 24bit say albums on SD cards or something all in 24/192 would be nice 
normal_smile .gif
 I am optimistic with the iRiver as they have been pretty active in doing firmware updates, I will lean on them for more file support. I think MAX can convert back and fourth from various formats.

Ken

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 56
I have an Iriver H120 that I love, but has not been used for many years. I was waiting for this player from iriver, but alas, What is that big ugly knob on the side?

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 56
I do wish I had the cash available to try this - directly into the processor in my mobile audio system. Digital coax directly into the processor with high res tracks - would be interesting to evaluate in a blind test versus compact disc or iPod through the Pioneer P99RS head unit. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 56
I find the volume knob quite apealing, though it could be a problem in a pocket.
As for the codec mess. Thanks to apple not officially supporting the flac format or any other format other than their own (apart from mp3) we are all stuck with our AAC or ALAC files. And people not buying a media player because of the format their music collection has, is exactly the idea behind it. Just hate it. My personal solution: Use Linux for an unmanipulative consumer experience, convert everything to flac for enhanced flexibility, hack your ipod classic (or whatever you have) to run rockbox (yes I know, can be quite a pain in the ass) and NEVER BUY ANY APPLE PRODUCT EVER AGAIN. I went through the hassel of converting over 60Gb of music from ALAC to flac an partly having to retaging it, because my mother's Cowon S9 couldn`t read the files and apart from that I simply wanted to use it. A mess. Simply a mess. Still, I agree that iRiver, too like any other company should definitely implement AAC and ALAC support to grant users freedom to use whatever they like. Sorry slightly off topic, but this really bugs me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back