Assembling good portbale setup question
Apr 6, 2009 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jian

500+ Head-Fier
I'm traveling in a everyday base to work by train, and would really like to setup a system to enjoy the sound. Currently mine is DT860 for it should be one of the decent portable cans for ipod c. But now I've upgrade the system to imod + P-51, and searching for a pair of good headphones to go with them. My taste of music are: instrumental music, vocal (M/F), Gothic, rock, movie soundtracks, a bit jazz, a bit symphony.
Price tag: around $500
Some big names in my mind are
HD650
K701
K702
K702+AOL CABLE
DT990/880
RS325/RS1
I've read a lot on the forum, just got me more confused.
So this thread is for me to raise a fresh mind.
I'm humbly asking for your opinions.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Really, you'd probably be best off with IEMs or even noise cancelling. Cutting out the background noise is going to make a bigger difference in sound than getting something like an RS-1 will.

iPod -> IEMs is what I would recommend. I've generally found that "portable rigs" are annoying for actually moving around. They're fine if you're going out of town or to the beach or something and want a rig that's easier to pack and move and then use like a stationary system wherever you are, but on a train, I'd probably just go for the simplest thing that cuts background noise and sounds good.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd go for a FiiO E5 and a set of UE triple.fi, Etymotics ER4P (or S) or Shure E530. $500 can get you a nice set of IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions. I've owned er4p and currently have a pair of ue tf 10, but the the IEM just won't do that extra mile. In fact I found that DT860 is much better than those IEMs in some aspects. That's why I'm going after some open air cans. For the train is alright quiet (the first class tickets are fairly cheap in my place), and I've got my own lab in my work place, so it can serve me well on both purposes (on the way/at work). I use IEMS only on flight now......

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 16
ESW10! Small, great sound, comfortable, good out of an ipod, ubersexy.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 16
I, too, would recommend something closed. Open phones in any form of shared transportation lead to other people wanting to strangle you with your own cord.

Also, I second fjrabon's idea about big portable rigs really being more of a hassle than actual enjoyment. I used to lug $1k+ in portable audio equipment and spent way too much time gearing up or gearing down, while constantly eyeing evermore battery-levels. Admittedly, in between it was blissful, and would I spend a lot of time on a train or plane these days I would likely have something in the same ballpark. In real life, public transportation has become so unreliable lately that one does not really want to block out announcements anymore. I get to read more, I guess that's a plus.

Back on topic — if you are sure you want something open, have a look at the Stax 001. It's very small, it's very light, it sounds great. All you need at work is a wallwart and it will sound even better.
Or, as you seem open to carrying some equipment, you could go nuts and get the 005A. It runs on 12V so you just need a nice battery pack for your commute. The energizer section is not very heavy.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 16
great ideas,thanks for that.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or ESW9

Or a Senn HD25-1II. Not as sexy (I suppose this depends haha), a bit more austere. Sounds great out of an ipod and virtually indestructible!

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10! Small, great sound, comfortable, good out of an ipod, ubersexy.

I second this suggestion! I use mine to commute and at the office as well and they are wonderful. They're good out of an iPod, but even better (much better) out of a Sansa Fuze.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 16
As for esw9/10, those are quite easy to drive even from ipod, and sound very nice. Since I've got my imod and RSA p-51, is there any high impedance phones to recommend? AS size does not, and both open or close phones are fine.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Why does it have to be high impedance? because you need to use that amp? ESW10 is one of the finest headphones I've heard and does improve with better amp.
With open headphones, fellow passengers will hate you, but if you don't care all headphones in your list are great and it's mostly personal preference (I'd go with Senn/Grado but that's me...)
For closed, other choices include the Denons (D2000/5000 or used D7000?) or fullsize AT's like W1000/5000 A2000x etc. but I've heard none of those...

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 16
esw10 might be a good choice, but is it worth the double price of esw9?

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
esw10 might be a good choice, but is it worth the double price of esw9?

I tried them both and I think so
biggrin.gif
. The esw10 is really quite close to the ad2000 in terms of quality (although closed of course and even more involving). The midrange of the esw10 is magical and hits the spot right, while I thought the esw9's midrange was very good but not magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back