ASIO4All Explanation
Aug 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #376 of 479
okay, i'm just kind of a visitor here, as i don't have any really "good" audio components. all i have right now is a gamer headphone and a seperate usb soundcard which is then connected to a speaker amp that powers some old speakers i got/headphones. i'm also using the drivers that came with it, and i'm using the drivers that came with it. planning on getting an HD600 soon, and possibly seperate usb dac/headphone amp depending on my financial limitations.
but on to the question. i'm wondering if this asio thing works ONLY from your audio player. say i've got all this asio stuff setup including foobar for example (which i don't), will ALL the audio coming out of my computer be a direct signal from audio application to the soundcard? like say foobar setup for asio will send out a "pure" signal, but if i got windows media player playing a movie, will the audio from that be bit-perfect? i'm completely new to this whole hi-fi stuff, so yeah. be nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit*
reading the post above mine, it seems my questions have been answered already... so i'm assuming you can't hear any other audio from your computer if you're using foobar/winamp with asio?

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #377 of 479
Enoyin: I tried downloading asio4all to a flash drive so I could install on another computer (with no internet access) and I cant get it to work. Is there a trick to do this? I d/l ed to a flash drive, moved the flash drive to another computer, opened it then try to set it up and I failed. Am I doing something wrong?

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #378 of 479
hi, this issue is not strictly related to asio4all but it't bette not start a new topic on the subject...i have an audiotrak prodigy 7.1hifi, and i use winamp as a source...well i downloaded the asio plugin, which is essential for me to have an independent volume control as i use a digital dac...but i have a strange problem, when i start the first track it plays flawlessly, but when it switches to another one sample rate ( even when set to auto, i am able to see the actual setting in the audiotrak control panel ) drops to 22khz and it plays at half speed...the only solution i found is manually locking sample rate to 44.1khz and it works...i tried asio4all drivers and the issue goes away, but it adds a strange lag when messing around with winamp...anyone having the same issue ?

p.s. don't tell me to update soundcard drivers because audiotrak support s**cks, and there aren't any driver updates
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #379 of 479
Oct 12, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #380 of 479
Don't want to make a new thread, so I'll post here.

I'm currently using a zero DAC with the included usb/optic cables and the such, but when I try to play a 24-bit/96000Hz file, I get this error message with ASIO
Quote:

Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (96000Hz); please configure resampler appropriately

Is this a software issue, or do I need to buy new cables?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #381 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't want to make a new thread, so I'll post here.

I'm currently using a zero DAC with the included usb/optic cables and the such, but when I try to play a 24-bit/96000Hz file, I get this error message with ASIO

Is this a software issue, or do I need to buy new cables?

Thanks in advance.

How do you connect your DAC to your computer? Through your soundcard or with USB?

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that if you use a optical cable your internal soundcard might be the problem. It might not be able to output 24/96 correctly. If this is not the case the problem is most likely software related.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #383 of 479
I have now set up MediaMonkey with ASIO4ALL and everything is sounding great. Here is how everythin is set up atm:

Mediamonkey.ASIO.png

Is everything set up for optimal sound quality? If not, what should I change?

I have one aditional question. If I manually select another song, I get this little crackle. It doesn't happen when one song ends and another begin, only when I manually select another song. Is this normal?

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #384 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using this:
Xitel MD-Port DG2 USB optical fibre sound blaster - eBay (item 110257056094 end time Oct-25-08 07:04:31 PDT)

So I think that would be through USB

It could be that the Xitel MD-Port DG2 is USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0. USB 1.1 doesn't go higher than 48 kHz/16 bit for as far as I know. That might be the problem here.

Edit: The above is completely wrong btw. I figured that out a while ago. Sorry for the misinformation.

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #385 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svirre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is everything set up for optimal sound quality? If not, what should I change?

Looks good to me for as far as quality goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svirre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one aditional question. If I manually select another song, I get this little crackle. It doesn't happen when one song ends and another begins, only when I manually select another song. Is this normal?

That happened to me as well. I can't remember how I fixed it then though. I think it was turning 'full file bufferring' on in Foobar. I don't know if MediaMonkey has such an option, and once again, I'm not sure that this fixes the problem. There are quite a few threads on this issue on these forums. You can try to do a search. (use google, because the head-fi search won't work)

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #386 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that the Xitel MD-Port DG2 is USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0. USB 1.1 doesn't go higher than 48 kHz/16 bit for as far as I know. That might be the problem here.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #387 of 479
I've got a few questions here about ASIO as I do not fully understand it. Is it better to use your sound card's built in ASIO if it has one? Does analog or digital connection make a difference? Does it work for 5.1 setups? I have had difficulty getting ASIO4ALL to work with all five of my speakers, but I am also using a HT Omega Claro Plus+ sound card so it probably isn't needed anyway. I am also using the Z-5500s and F2K. There is an option for HT Omega ASIO in Foobar. Can anyone clarify a bit for me?

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #389 of 479
So! Since this guide is "outdated," that is, dated for use for past versions of the softwares, where can I find a guide for the current versions? I type, "asio4all foobar2000" without quotations, into google. However, I'm not sure which guide(s) I should trust...

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #390 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So! Since this guide is "outdated," that is, dated for use for past versions of the softwares, where can I find a guide for the current versions? I type, "asio4all foobar2000" without quotations, into google. However, I'm not sure which guide(s) I should trust...

I took a quick glance and even though the version is newer, the steps are pretty much the same. I think they mostly changed the GUI and how it starts. With older version of ASIO4ALL, you could open and configure anytime. Now, it opens in system tray and only when music is playing and can be configured at that time. The latest version has a good manual though as well. If you have specific questions regarding your setup, please ask and maybe someone can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back