ASIO send with EMU patchmix
Dec 12, 2006 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

doctorcilantro

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I use JRMC ASIO for main output to stereo. JRMC currently defaults to a wave device for DVD/Video playback, well, really it just doesn't use ASIO for any of this playback.

So in patchmix I have my Out L/R send in the Main mixer at bottom right; it sends to the analog outs. Works great because I don't have to switch anything around when playing a movie or audio.

BUT, is this bit-perfect? Does the Send HAVE to be right in ASIO 1/2? Just curious really....

thanks
DC

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 9
I'll get a pic up soon, but it is in the main strip at bottom right all the way over.
I'm wondering if no volume reductions, trim pots, or other effects are added to the Main strip, will the output be bit perfect.

thanks
DC

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 9
u can see the amplification of the particular strip on the strip itself. When its set to 0 (usually the max) - there is no signal influence.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Yes that is bit perfect.

Actually all you need for bit perfect is a non-resampling soundcard, Emu 1212m check, only 1 stream playing at a time, easy enough, and no volume attenuation, check.

ASIO, SENDs and other niceties certainly help to achieve that scenario but WMP playing WMAs through the Emu 1212m WAV with no SENDs and no attenuation is also bit perfect as long as you aren't also listening to another stream... like a game. But then do you really care if its not bit-perfect while in game or that split second that a windows sound also played?

Me either
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes that is bit perfect.

Actually all you need for bit perfect is a non-resampling soundcard, Emu 1212m check, only 1 stream playing at a time, easy enough, and no volume attenuation, check.

ASIO, SENDs and other niceties certainly help to achieve that scenario but WMP playing WMAs through the Emu 1212m WAV with no SENDs and no attenuation is also bit perfect as long as you aren't also listening to another stream... like a game. But then do you really care if its not bit-perfect while in game or that split second that a windows sound also played?

Me either
tongue.gif

I wasn't aware of that! I haven't heard anyone else say that in the 2.5 years I've been visiting but it makes sense.

Do you think the sound is negatively affected when you turn down the send via patchmix? I know it's not "bit-perfect" anymore, but do you personally think it has a significant effect on the SQ? I haven't noticed much change.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Not sure I follow you but I'll cover both ideas I think you are trying to say...

Having the SEND in the Main Inserts does not affect resolution or bit accuracy. However I believe at some point someone measured the Emu using RMAA and got better IMD results with a SEND than without. Nothing earth shattering but still measurable.

Using a TRIM in the Main Inserts or Strip will not reduce bit accuracy on 16/44 material until you go beyond -30dB, which is probably why that's the max trim
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I follow you but I'll cover both ideas I think you are trying to say...

Having the SEND in the Main Inserts does not affect resolution or bit accuracy. However I believe at some point someone measured the Emu using RMAA and got better IMD results with a SEND than without. Nothing earth shattering but still measurable.

Using a TRIM in the Main Inserts or Strip will not reduce bit accuracy on 16/44 material until you go beyond -30dB, which is probably why that's the max trim
tongue.gif

Yeah, that was poor phrasing on my part. I just meant either adjusting the level of whatever strip is being used or adjusting the main mix volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back