Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #316 of 2,994
Regarding covers, I've heard this Indonesian band and some of their songs sound quite similar to American bands like Muse/My Chemical Romance.

There's a malay version of the korean Winter Sonata. :0

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #317 of 2,994

I think you guys might appreciate Standing Egg and 3rd Coast. =)

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #320 of 2,994
Gotta say Olivia Ong and Standing Egg are my favorite discoveries so far from this thread, or maybe I just need a break from pop female vocals.  3rd Coast ain't bad either.  Have any more recommendations along either of these lines?

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #321 of 2,994

Quote:
Gotta say Olivia Ong and Standing Egg are my favorite discoveries so far from this thread, or maybe I just need a break from pop female vocals.  3rd Coast ain't bad either.  Have any more recommendations along either of these lines?

Park Ji Yoon's new style in her 2009 album is still one of my favorites =) Not English though... Tanya Chua has some English albums.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #323 of 2,994
Although not her voice isn't as rich as that of Oliva Ong's, I still enjoy Joanna Wang (mind the YouTube quality):

有你的快樂 - You ni de kuaile - Have Your Fun

As a break from the females, I like the popular Chinese singer Eason Chan:

世界 - Shijie - World

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #324 of 2,994

Quote:
Although not her voice isn't as rich as that of Oliva Ong's, I still enjoy Joanna Wang (mind the YouTube quality):

有你的快樂 - You ni de kuaile - Have Your Fun

As a break from the females, I like the popular Chinese singer Eason Chan:

世界 - Shijie - World

Nice! I think I heard of Joanna Wang before but didn't remember to save her name. She's definitely more like Tanya Chua-ish sound than Olivia's. Either way, I like it. Any more recent songs to take note of?

I never really got into Eason, but that might be more because it being HKPOP than anything. Every time a friend plays one of his songs, it's a ballad... God knows I hate pop ballads.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #325 of 2,994

Quote:
Nice! I think I heard of Joanna Wang before but didn't remember to save her name. She's definitely more like Tanya Chua-ish sound than Olivia's. Either way, I like it. Any more recent songs to take note of?

I never really got into Eason, but that might be more because it being HKPOP than anything. Every time a friend plays one of his songs, it's a ballad... God knows I hate pop ballads.

She hasn't released any recent albums per se, but from her last album in 2008 I like the rhythm of her English song "Nobody's a Nun" (the lyrics are interesting):

Can anyone identify the headphones she uses at 0:50? It's only shown for a brief moment.

I like the rhythm of her "Tikiville" song too:

I found a cover she did on YouTube for Nat King Cole's "Dream a Little Dream of Me":

Although it's another sappy love song (just a heads up wind016), I like her voice in this song too:

因為你愛我 - Yinwei ni ai wo - Because You Love Me

On a side note, I found this video interview on YouTube. Are those a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones she's wearing? Hahahaha, she said zou gao (糟糕), which is oops or terrible in Chinese.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #327 of 2,994
Interesting thread fellas. I usually don't care for ballads, but the first album (Your Story) of The Brown Eyed Girls gets so much play time on my gear. It's become one of my all time favorites even though I have no idea what they are saying.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #328 of 2,994

Quote:
Interesting thread fellas. I usually don't care for ballads, but the first album (Your Story) of The Brown Eyed Girls gets so much play time on my gear. It's become one of my all time favorites even though I have no idea what they are saying.

Brown Eyed Girls...excellent choice! Even though they don't get as much attention as other k-pop bands, I feel as if they're the best and most balanced group.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #329 of 2,994

Quote:

Davichi anyone?

The way they presented this song is interesting... soft at the front... rock-like at the chorus

I love Davichi but my gf makes fun of me when I listen to them so I do it secretly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back