Are you an obsessive gear tweaker?
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't stop moving around gear, trying different cables and tubes. Every day it seems I learn some new "tweak" that improves my audio system, or is it just in my head?

I'm sure experimenting a lot can produce good results, but you have to know when to stop. Sometimes it seems like I'm always changing things though, seeking a better sound.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 17
I just got done spending an hour setting up batch files with Soundvolumeview on the command line so the batch files automatically switch to 48khz for Destiny 2 or 44.1khz to match the FLAC music library for Foobar2000 playback. It's so everything will be in bit perfect mode and Peace/APO can be used all the time with up or downsampling since the shortcuts to batch files will switch bit rate before starting them. Yes, you are not alone suffering tweakaholism....

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 17
In my opinion there’s not much you can do but I have room treated my space and the speakers sound better. I have changed the tube values like instead of using a 12ax7 tube in my bedroom amp, I use 12at7 tubes to lower the gain slightly for a slightly smoother sound.

Personally I feel that if you’re into tweaking, the audiophile world is very limiting. Tweaking in the guitar world and also in the home recording world is far more adventurous.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 17
That said, nerding out on components can be fun though. Like maybe being fascinated with a DAC chip or op amp. It probably doesn’t make that much of difference but it’s fun to appreciate the design. I enjoy appreciating my hospital power chord on my bedroom amp. It doesn’t improve the sound but I like the cool novelty that it’s in hospitals and considered reliable and almost fail proof.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 17
I can't stop moving around gear, trying different cables and tubes. Every day it seems I learn some new "tweak" that improves my audio system, or is it just in my head?

I'm sure experimenting a lot can produce good results, but you have to know when to stop. Sometimes it seems like I'm always changing things though, seeking a better sound.
Buy better gear. After a certain level of gear, all the tweaks don't actually improve sounds just minor differences that don't actually sound better.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 17

As long as it is fun but burn out is real in this hobby if you constantly move around gear .

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 17

So did you take your own advice and stop obsessing? Hobby is for fun. But your profile describes yourself as an “audio engineer”. How deeply is this effecting your life?

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 17
So did you take your own advice and stop obsessing? Hobby is for fun. But your profile describes yourself as an “audio engineer”. How deeply is this effecting your life?
Yes, as of 5 minutes ago I have stopped experimenting with gear. I just plugged the DragonFly Black into the line-in of the FiiO K7 and am listening to it that way. I'm an audio engineer at work, but at home I'm an audiophile geek with constant upgradatitis and a constant need to move gear, change cables, and tubes. But with a little discipline I can keep things under control (for a while.)

Audio is deeply affecting my life, yes.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 17
Yes, as of 5 minutes ago I have stopped experimenting with gear.
Congrats! on 5min.

Experimenting is fine but you sounded worried. There is placebo in this subjective hobby. There are companies that prey on naive and OCD audiophiles. The forum is a culprit by design.

Anyways, youre maining a 125x? Can I entice you to try a 325x. :)

What do you engineer?

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Congrats! on 5min.

Experimenting is fine but you sounded worried. There is placebo in this subjective hobby. There are companies that prey on naive and OCD audiophiles. The forum is a culprit by design.

Anyways, youre maining a 125x? Can I entice you to try a 325x. :)

What do you engineer?
post production audio

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 17
i dont know about moving gear around. but i'm from a dj and studio background. i love tweaking the sound and some kind of light shows.. most people will scoff at phase adjusting like the BBE, or different EQ's or adding a spectrum analyzer to the chain... i love it. also love trying tons of cables and ear pads...

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 17
nice

The 325x recommendation was a joke but I highly recommend experimenting with F-pads which are standard on 325x.
What do you like about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back