Are you a freak about your CDs? ;)
Feb 5, 2002 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I read the following quote from Vertigo in another thread:

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I do baby my electronics quite a bit. Nobody touches my electronics with oily hands!
very_evil_smiley.gif
I literally tell my friends to wash their hands before touching my stuff. They all go
rolleyes.gif
and do as told.
biggrin.gif

It made me laugh because I'm the same way about CD inserts -- I take immaculate care of my CDs, and when people open them up and start putting their fingers everywhere, the oil from their fingers makes big smudge marks on the inserts (especially the black/dark print). This bugs the heck out of me. I'm sure I *can't* be the only one, right?
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 76
Yep... I must have the same bug too. I also don't like *ANY* scratches on my CDs as well. I mainly use older top loading CDPs because some slide-out trays put micro-scratches on the disc's surface... I just cannot believe how some treat their discs. Just look at the pawn shops or library for examples of discs - almost enough scratches to cause an aneurism.

Feb 5, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 76
O hell yea, a few years back i lent Madonna's Erotica cd to a friend only to have it come back with scratches and the booklet was mangled. The kid was outside so i opened my window up and started yelling at him for destroying my first owned cd! I was pretty irate. I take immaculate care of my cds, right down to the booklet and damn proud of it.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 76
Can't say I wash my hands before using my CDs, but I'm very careful about where I pick them up and what I put them down on. No scratches or gunk spoiling my listening experience!

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 76
I look after my CDs pretty well, but I can't stand it when other people tell me how to look after them.

eg. if can't find the CD sleeve/case and HAVE to put a CD down on a table/benchtop, then put it facing label side up.
YES - the hard plastic underside is much more resistant to damage than the top surface.

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 76
I'm not too careful about the inserts, as I use a overstuffed CD binder for my CDs and as it gets full it gets harder to insert the inserts. But I am very careful as can be about the CDs. They still manage to get a scratch or two out of nowhere, but my CDs last well into the 5 year range without picking up enough of a scratch to screw up the sound. As drob said, seeing the way some people treat their CDs makes you want to throw a fit.

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
...the oil from their fingers makes big smudge marks on the inserts (especially the black/dark print).

Heh-heh. The Faint, anyone?

I am a freak, yes. About my CD's? Well, yes to that too, but not in the way that you mean. When someone effs up a CD or CD cover, I tend to just get silently annoyed and then not lend them stuff again.

Feb 5, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 76
I am the exact opposite. I have stacks of CDs, everywhere. I don't know where more then half of them are at any given time. The cases are almost always empty. They get scratched badly, too. If a CD falls on the floor I generally pick it up if I feel like listening to it, or step on it. I would be surprised if there were less then 150 un-cased CDs in my room, and maybe 1/20 of my CD cases are broken because of stepping on them or something.

Sometimes I have to get new CDs because my old ones are so badly scratched up. I am on my 4th copy of Therion's Theli and 3rd of LTE1, for example. If I find the older version and it works, I generally give it away to an often ecstatic person.

The CD's I don't listen to generally sit in one of a few spindles I have from CDRs. That is the safest method of storage I have, and it is where I look for "new" music to listen to.

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 76
Growing up with vinl, I learned very early, (about 8 years old) to take VERY good care of the surfaces. Fingerprints, scratches, dust. etc.

My father always had camel hair brushes around for dusting. (He was a commercial photographer) There was always a brush handy to dust records.

All that carried over as I got older and when I got into CD's, only about 10years ago, I figured that dirt, dust, fingerprints and scratches were just as much of a "no-no" as on vinyl, so I've treated all my CD's that way.

Not quite as obsessive as with vinyl, but I really try to take good care of Cd's. I can't afford to be replacing things I've already got.

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 76
I definately don't baby my CDs, if I had a vinyl collection, it would be a different story. I don't have a large collection, I can fit all of them in my CD changer (100 disc). How ever, I do a lot of swapping and cases/CDs are all over the place, most of them in the wrong cases. I don't worry about the booklets, it's the music that counts.
biggrin.gif

tktran is right, I'd rather scratch the clear plastic than the top surface. It's a simple case of fixable vs. data loss.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 76
I don't know. Whether it is my beloved bike, car, CDs, computer etc. These things are there to be used and enjoyed without fear, not to be admired or treated like Ming vases.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 76
I don't know. Whether it is my beloved bike, car, CDs, computer etc. These things are there to be used and enjoyed without fear, not to be admired or treated like Ming vases.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 76
Yup, everything I buy or make, the intent is for use. I don't buy stuff just to admire it, especially things that I intend to sell. If I got an autographed Patriots superbowl hat right now, I'd wear it every day.

Even my artwork (drawings, designs, photographs) have a purpose. I assume you all can figure this one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back