Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Dec 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #46 of 109
Quote:
I guess I'll have to consider myself a flathead. The Fostex TH-900 are wonderfully balanced without any faults I can think of. However, I still don't quite understand "soundstaging" since most things I listen to would probably be recorded in a studio with the instruments being recorded in isolation.

well having the sound not being in your head completely is the idea of soundstage, there is postitioning, width and depth, postitioning is how accurate the instuments are placed in the percieved are around you, width and depth is how far they are located from you. el cheapos have all the sound in 1 layer square in your head only, no dynamic seperation and depth

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #47 of 109
Quote:
I guess I'll have to consider myself a flathead. The Fostex TH-900 are wonderfully balanced without any faults I can think of. However, I still don't quite understand "soundstaging" since most things I listen to would probably be recorded in a studio with the instruments being recorded in isolation.

Not to sure about that.  Does anyone have the FR chart of the TH900?  I think they're pretty colored.  I could be wrong though.  Just something to check into.

Have you heard the Paradox?  They're pretty flat and measure that way.  If you like these then yes your a flat head.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #50 of 109
Can't get enough Treble!

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #51 of 109
ADDENDUM p.s. I like the short posts and fast rhythm of this site I will try to hold off on the treatises on all things music in every post and just answer the question instead of typing essays, sometimes you can get out of control when you type as you think. ignore my philosophical musings please.  This is science, perception, and community, not a place for soapboxes. 

I'm definitely 99% a basshead, listen to all styles, but love the bass of reggae music, the sub bass of southern hip hop, and the tuned tom bass lines of my local west coast hip hop.
Of course when producing I like a crystal clear clean even sound, then when the song is sounding good with a flat setting I know itll sound amazing in my truck or through any of my nice cans.  (I rarely see people use that nomenclature, is that word banned here?  What I mean is hi quality headphones of course; I don't see it used often and I don't want to get kicked off the raft just yet, lol)

When I listen to jazz I become a mid/trebble head because you never hear a jazz bassist thumping on an upright that sounds like an 808. And the kick should sound kind of punchy and slappy, not deep and round, and the ride/bass are the heart of the sound so for jazz that mid/high balance has to be there.  Jazz and classical make me much more critical and appreciative of the wider spectrum of sounds. 

But Bass resonates deeply within your body, it makes booties uncontrollably move, and its what I like to hear when appropriate to the style.  Just got my Vmoda M-100...waiting to try them with and without my E17.  It seems like the android has much less need for a portable amp, maybe its a better dac or just of PowerAmp software, but I have a hard time getting a better sound with the E17s. My girls apple thingee does sound better using the E17 with the same cans.  Due to early support for FLAC I've always been a droid guy, and you can have full control of your library when ID3 tags fail to put an album together.

But we are here to talk about range, I have 1200watts of subwoofer in my truck and I love the way it feels, but the guys at the shop tuned it weird, I added a DB bump at 15k and it just opened up the mix entirely so I can now hear that "shimmer" in the music and feel the thump.  My head unit has only 3 bands but a variable Q so I can dial it in.  I always turn the music off when I'm rolling through a neighborhood, I would so hate being "that guy" with rattling civic waking you up at 1am with crappy subs and exhaust, lol. 

So assuming the mids and highs are balanced, with a little boost maybe at 1k and somewhere above 10K, (1 or 2 db at most) I have my sub in the truck on max and turn it up just under the rattle limit. 

We are talking headphones, which is different than live sound, and for live sound bass is NECESSARY for danceable music, and that really says something to me about vibration.  The universe can be looked at as a series of vibrations or resonances, and that is why music is so powerful.  It literally connects us with the universe, with space, with each other (if we take our cans off for a minute, lol). 

If you are a basshead or interested in bass philosophy theres a great book about jamaican sound systems called Sonic Bodies, it reads like a philosophy and physics thesis mixed together, but it makes some amazing points.  They talk about the loudness wars in jamaica, very similar to what has happened to our pop music.  Every year a guy builds a bigger system that would have been painful to listen to but the next year every other system has upgraded.   I hear that the public outdoor sound systems have been cracked down on in jamaica, which has hurt the music scene there tremendously.

I think I've made enough points for one post. 

Thanks for the poll Chris, happy holidays everybody!

-pAugustus

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #52 of 109
Hey Pablo, nice post! Nothing wrong with a long post here!

BTW, I call them cans all the time!

I know what you mean about Jazz, it brings out the midrange and treble head in me.
Yeah, I've noticed that like mixes of almost any kind of Pop or Rock music tend to be rather bass heavy.............!

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #53 of 109
Quote:
ADDENDUM p.s. I like the short posts and fast rhythm of this site I will try to hold off on the treatises on all things music in every post and just answer the question instead of typing essays, sometimes you can get out of control when you type as you think. ignore my philosophical musings please.  This is science, perception, and community, not a place for soapboxes. 

I'm definitely 99% a basshead, listen to all styles, but love the bass of reggae music, the sub bass of southern hip hop, and the tuned tom bass lines of my local west coast hip hop.
Of course when producing I like a crystal clear clean even sound, then when the song is sounding good with a flat setting I know itll sound amazing in my truck or through any of my nice cans.  (I rarely see people use that nomenclature, is that word banned here?  What I mean is hi quality headphones of course; I don't see it used often and I don't want to get kicked off the raft just yet, lol)

When I listen to jazz I become a mid/trebble head because you never hear a jazz bassist thumping on an upright that sounds like an 808. And the kick should sound kind of punchy and slappy, not deep and round, and the ride/bass are the heart of the sound so for jazz that mid/high balance has to be there.  Jazz and classical make me much more critical and appreciative of the wider spectrum of sounds. 

But Bass resonates deeply within your body, it makes booties uncontrollably move, and its what I like to hear when appropriate to the style.  Just got my Vmoda M-100...waiting to try them with and without my E17.  It seems like the android has much less need for a portable amp, maybe its a better dac or just of PowerAmp software, but I have a hard time getting a better sound with the E17s. My girls apple thingee does sound better using the E17 with the same cans.  Due to early support for FLAC I've always been a droid guy, and you can have full control of your library when ID3 tags fail to put an album together.

But we are here to talk about range, I have 1200watts of subwoofer in my truck and I love the way it feels, but the guys at the shop tuned it weird, I added a DB bump at 15k and it just opened up the mix entirely so I can now hear that "shimmer" in the music and feel the thump.  My head unit has only 3 bands but a variable Q so I can dial it in.  I always turn the music off when I'm rolling through a neighborhood, I would so hate being "that guy" with rattling civic waking you up at 1am with crappy subs and exhaust, lol. 

So assuming the mids and highs are balanced, with a little boost maybe at 1k and somewhere above 10K, (1 or 2 db at most) I have my sub in the truck on max and turn it up just under the rattle limit. 

We are talking headphones, which is different than live sound, and for live sound bass is NECESSARY for danceable music, and that really says something to me about vibration.  The universe can be looked at as a series of vibrations or resonances, and that is why music is so powerful.  It literally connects us with the universe, with space, with each other (if we take our cans off for a minute, lol). 

If you are a basshead or interested in bass philosophy theres a great book about jamaican sound systems called Sonic Bodies, it reads like a philosophy and physics thesis mixed together, but it makes some amazing points.  They talk about the loudness wars in jamaica, very similar to what has happened to our pop music.  Every year a guy builds a bigger system that would have been painful to listen to but the next year every other system has upgraded.   I hear that the public outdoor sound systems have been cracked down on in jamaica, which has hurt the music scene there tremendously.

I think I've made enough points for one post. 

Thanks for the poll Chris, happy holidays everybody!

-pAugustus

That's exactly it, the vibrations are what brings you closest to the music.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #55 of 109
I'm an airhead, so the DT880 does me good. I'd probably like Stax or some of the other electrostats, too.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #56 of 109
OP, you should have asked people to put down which headphones they like that epitomizes their choice!!

So: I'm a midrangehead and I love K701...etc...

Good idea!
If anyone wants to add their headphone of choice,please do!

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #57 of 109
HD598, not sure if that makes me a soundstage head or a mids head....
(oh btw what is an 'airhead' exactly? is it something to do with airy highs or a very airy soundstage?)

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #58 of 109
Quote:
HD598, not sure if that makes me a soundstage head or a mids head....
(oh btw what is an 'airhead' exactly? is it something to do with airy highs or a very airy soundstage?)

Yep. It's just an amusing term, so I like to use it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #59 of 109
Quote:

Yep. It's just an amusing term, so I like to use it.

lol so has it got to do with the treble? or the soundstage? (unless you are stating it is both)

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #60 of 109
Quote:
lol so has it got to do with the treble? or the soundstage? (unless you are stating it is both)

It's basically a feeling of space around sound elements created by well-extended treble, as well as a sense that the sound isn't capped by a ceiling and is wide open. It usually accompanies a wide, spacious soundstage and good imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back