Are we all suckers?
Dec 2, 2007 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
I understand the desire for quality audio, but portable audio is an grey area for me.

At home, in the comfort of your own home where you can control the environment, the temperature, the seat, the acoustic environment where the speakers sit...etc, but on the move?

Apart from getting a good pair of good sealing headphones, why bother with an amp or anything for the 1% improvement? Walking on the street you are surrounded by things totally out of your control, the barking dog, the footsteps of others, the vibrations of your own body movement when walking, the wind, the traffic, the talking of others. When you are on the bus or the train, the engine noise, the vibrations from the engine...etc so much that would make any improvements you've invest in totally out the window.

And then there is the actual music itself, you need you pay attention to whats around you on the street, with the headphones in, you have to pay MORE attention to whats around you as one of your senses is being busy with something else. So you look out for cars, other people walking by, traffic lights, doorway...etc, not to mention keep an eye out for people who might going to pick pocket that ipod of yours, so there is no moment you are totally with one with your music like you can at home.

So, is there really a point to spend hundreds of $ or £ or whatever currency it is to get that extra bit of quality that in reality you are not going to notice with all the external elements involved ?

Ipod and some Ety would give you everything you need surely.

EDIT - It seems I wasn't clear at first, the question is not about if the amount of gear you carry is worth it, the question is can you tell the difference from all the interference from the outside against the improvement of the amp or that $100 cable.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 52
In my situation Im on a train commuting, and I need to block out the ambient noise, and having a Pair of E500s and a library of sound on my IPOD and a good amp is exactly what I need some days. I also just plug into my IPhone, but when I want to relax and really take it in, the ipod/amp combo hits the spot. I see other hi fi'ers on the train with portable set ups that are similar too.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 52
yeah, but in his case he's on a train meaning he's not walkings the streets, and seeing lots of distractions so he can tell the difference in quality.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 52
Engine noise ? other people talking ? And you sit on the train from the front door of your apartment to the front door of work/college/destination?

I am just not sure no matter how good the amp you have, that it won't be cancel out by the environmental factor of the outside world.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 52
Why bother with any music at all?

It's simple: I want to listen to music when I'm on the go. I won't listen to just any kind of music through any kind of headphones. Hey, I have this headphone; why not drag it along? Hey, it also sounds good through this pretty small amp. Why not go with that too? If you don't want to carry all that gear around, that's up to you. If you do, that's still up to you.

There are extremes, though. There is a point where the gear isn't making your life any easier, and also a point where you become unreasonable about what you won't carry around when you easily could. On the one hand, you could grab an iPod shuffle 2G or Zen Stone (Plus) and wear the stock buds for maximum portability. Then again you could wear K1000s with your T-amp on the New York Subway (You ought to be more afraid of the head-fiers than the regular criminals then). Then the middle is where the rest of us suckers lie.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why bother with any music at all?

It's simple: I want to listen to music when I'm on the go. I won't listen to just any kind of music through any kind of headphones. Hey, I have this headphone; why not drag it along? Hey, it also sounds good through this pretty small amp. Why not go with that too? If you don't want to carry all that gear around, that's up to you. If you do, that's still up to you.

There are extremes, though. There is a point where the gear isn't making your life any easier, and also a point where you become unreasonable about what you won't carry around when you easily could. On the one hand, you could grab an iPod shuffle 2G or Zen Stone (Plus) and wear the stock buds for maximum portability. Then again you could wear K1000s with your T-amp on the New York Subway (You ought to be more afraid of the head-fiers than the regular criminals then). Then the middle is where the rest of us suckers lie.

I am not arguing about the extra gear at all, at no point have i brought that up unless you haven't read what I wrote....
confused.gif
you can carry your own generator around with an Audiolab 100W amp and its your choice.

The question in my original post is - Is the money putting into the amp/cable canceled out by the environmental noise. Or put it simply, can you hear the difference of the amp with all that crap out there.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 52
For me I dont like walking around with a portable amp, the amount of stuff I have to lug around with me makes it unportable for me. But when I had the TTVJ portable millet hybrid (need to do a review on that STAT!) it improved the sound enough that I CONSIDERED lugging it around.

but for me, I cant carry all that stuff around all the time. I have small pockets
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 52
I think "portable audio" means different things to different people.

For me portable audio means I have a setup that I can take on holiday or when I travel (used to be weekly for work). It doesn't mean that I will necessarily use that same setup on a bus or train or walking around the streets of (in my case) Sydney - but sometimes I do...

I agree with your basic point though. In many situations I think people are investing in the wrong gear for the wrong reasons - I have from time to time. I also think that many head-fiers buy portable gear because they are into it (the gear itself). I was very interested at the last meet I went to that the odd person turned up with amps and players and cans... but no music! Nothing wrong with just being into the gear I guess... but it isn't why I'm into it!

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 52
Nice question.
It's totally subjection, perception and means. The cost for the small percentage increase of sq is not an issue for me, so I choose to have. without being ridiculous, the best gear that I can. Are there noise and distractions that interfere with the sq...yes, but can I hear (perceive) the difference from the line out versus the dock of my iMod in those enviroments....why yes I can. Ive tested the theory and, without a doubt, it does matter and is worth it if you can afford it. I believe it's all subjective.
Just my 2 cents, which is worth 1
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 52
Well, I never listen to my music when I'm walking around. It's just too dangerous. I do, however, listen the music when traveling on the bus (though I rarely ride it now); a good pair of IEM can cut out all the external noise, though I don't have an amp so I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

But the actually question is "is it worth the money for portable audio gear?" And the answer is: it depends. For me, yes. I have a modest rig compared to some of the members here, but I think if I had the funds it would definitely be worth spending more on. I mostly listen to my music between classes or when I'm tired of studying in the library and need some music time. Sometimes I'll just sit back and listen to a full album before getting back to studying, and I can definitely appreciate the sound quality.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 52
I regularly fly to Tokyo (12+ hour flights) as well as am driven to and from work (30 min +).

So no, carrying a portable amp and DAC + iRiver and whatnot in my bag for these trips is not a big deal. Quite honestly, I spend far more time with my portable rig than I do with any of my other rigs. Seems rather silly to maximize the others and not the one for the road.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back