Are these the new porta pro killers?
Nov 17, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I bought a set of KTXPRO1s for my iPod and after a couple of hours of struggling with them, I sent them back for a refund. The bass was totally unreal and overpowering. No equalization setting I tried would even them out. I imagine if you're listening to a lot of electronic music with a big THUMP THUMP THUMP to it, this sort of thing would be good. But I don't listen to that type of music. I picked up a pair of PX100s, and they serve my purpose perfectly.

See ya
Steve

Hmmm, I confess I did not listen to much of anything with a whole lot of bass in the 15 or 20 minutes I had these on my head--too busy struggling with the fit. But yes, there is enhanced bass and it is probably not very realistic. In a way, I think it is kind of impressive they even have bass
smily_headphones1.gif
. I mean, how hard can you be on a $15 pair of headphones?
biggrin.gif

-coma

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Can you post a link? I thought the titanium drivers are fairly new?

When you say they been out for a long time you mean over a year? If they just came out this year i just got into this hobby this year so all this stuff is new to me.
tongue.gif

Here's the link:

http://ipodstudio.com/photopost/show...i=koss&x=0&y=0

I think they came out a short time before I posted those pics if I remember right.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 23
I have both the portapros and the KTX-Pro1s. I think nearly anyone would prefer the portapros. In any event, I certainly prefer the portapros. The portapros have leaner mids and better highs, IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Here's the link:

http://ipodstudio.com/photopost/show...i=koss&x=0&y=0

I think they came out a short time before I posted those pics if I remember right.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 23
Koss had something called the "GT-5" maybe 3-4 yrs back ($15) that was a really well fitting non-descript plain-jane open portable soft plastic "over the head" model with likely the same drivers (rated 60 Ohm) as the KSC35-Porta/Sporta. Seems no one else has them?

Any way, they appear to be perfect mobile model, but instead I use them at work for the quick-on off for some reason.....

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
Nice review. If my head wasn't so wide, I'd buy a pair.. atleast these won't pull out my hair like my portapros =(
Does anyone have a link to a DIY mod for the portapro headband using demin? I can't find that link anymore. If anyone knows, can they please PM me? thx
etysmile.gif

or you can just wear a hat
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 23
I used to own KTX Pros(not sure if the new ones are any different). They were decent but nothing spectacular. In fact I pulled them out briefly to compare to my current ones. The old ones looked good in black but they are too bass heavy and not enough detail, KSC-75s sound much better.

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
P.S. Let me append my post by saying they DO swivel, but only in one direction. I need them to be turned slightly more rearward--they don't have dual swivel like Grados, etc. And while I'm mentioning Grados, these have a Grado-like sound to my ears. I'm going back and forth with my MS1's and I think these Koss phones might even have a bit more bass. I no longer own SR-60's (gave them to my father-in-law), but going by memory I'd say these sound a lot like I remember SR-60's sounding (except with more bass--the sound is more forward than the MS1), only they are less comfortable than either Grado. They squeeze my head like a vise..

I call my KSC-35 the "Baby Grados." Koss does indeed sound like the younger brother of the Grado line. Call it a SR35 if you want! But it's still a baby, just like the CD3K is the "Baby R10" - it's no R10, but it shares some characteristics. Like the K501 is the "Baby Qualia" imho.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 23
I've had these for quite sometime, around two years. They are great for the money (you can't go wrong for 15 bucks). They sound quite a bit like the KSC35 but with the tighter fit, there is stronger bass. The fit isn't great though. The drivers are really small and slide a bit around my ears. They also creek a lot which can be a bit annoying.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back