Are these headphones fake? Sony MDR-7506
Oct 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #31 of 84
 OK, I feel really ... stupid ... right now.

Logic should have told me, the cheapest I've found from any US dealer (official or not) is about $85.  So ... $45 from China?  If it's too good to be true ... it usually is.

Also, check out the pictures.  Suspected fake 1st:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-7506-Studio-Monitor-DJ-Headphone-Earphone-/120614285155?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c152bef63

Now what are almost definitely real ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MDR-7506-SONY-PRO-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-MDR7506-NEW-/220497446909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3356ac07fd

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=Sony_MDR-7506.jpg&username=electronuus&aid=912392126

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Professional-Folding-Headphones-MDR-7506-BRAND-NEW-/300417480969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f246f909

The box just looks more cheesy for the suspected fake than the others.  Also notice where the jack is for the fake vs the real ones.  It's below that horizontal piece and facing the wrong direction.

The other thing that ocurred to me is: to make sure I'm getting the real thing,  I can't even buy used.  I *have* to buy brand new.  What if the used one is being sold because it's a fake and it sounds like crap and the seller doesn't even know !?!?

Well ... nobody puts one over one me.  When I get both, I'll document everything like that  guy did earlier in this thread for the V6's, and then I'll file a claim to eBay.  Heh, heh.  Try and screw Kevin Brown, will you ...

biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #32 of 84
That's too bad, hopefully you'll be able to get your money back.

Could you take some side by side photos and post them on the forums? So they can be used as reference for others in the future.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Logic should have told me, the cheapest I've found from any US dealer (official or not) is about $85.  So ... $45 from China?  If it's too good to be true ... it usually is.

I'm not talking about this specific case, but this can be simply because the dealers are too greedy. A couple of years back, I bought a reputed CDP which retails for 2990 Euros (4,163.4$) in France, I bought mine for 900$ from China so mus be a fake? No, I get it from the manufacture.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #36 of 84
I sell toys on ebay. A legit company callled FansProject out of China makes third party toys and add-ons for Trnasformers. I recently sold a legit City Commander set but the box I got it in was bent up, and looked suspicious, but I got it form a reputable online toy dealer. I also had to assure the buyer what to look for with authentic product vs the fakes. I definetly pass. The problem is for years there have always been KO"s, form headphones to sneakers. The subtle changes from the riginal are sometimes hard to spot and you need to have a discerning eye or ear. I first spotted fakes when I was going for a pair of V700DJ's to use for sets and to look cool when dj'ing or just walking around at work. I saw some going for $40 to $50, yet the sticker price was at least $120 at most places. I knew right then to put up red flags. I was going for some MDR-v6's but the fakes put me off. So I went to Newegg for a pair of legit MDR-v6's which imo are better than the 7506 evben though they are the newer version of the V6's. Overall I rather pay for the real deal than get fakes. Can't afford to take one for the team just yet.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #37 of 84
Another great way of ensuring that what you buy is authentic is buying them used from other head-fiers. 

There are some amazing deals floating around the F/S forums, it doesn't hurt to take a look once in a while.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #38 of 84

Quote:

Could you take some side by side photos and post them on the forums? So they can be used as reference for others in the future.

I will.  :)

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #39 of 84

Quote:

I'd love the get that confirmed by a user with the box in front of them.  Not that I don't believe B&H, but ...  :)

I know what you mean. When he told me that, my ears perked up. They have absolutely no reason to lie though because first, they're an authorized dealer and supposedly one of THE biggest in NY (word of mouth), and postage would be free for returns so if it's a lie then you can just return it. Also, it was the lowest price coming from a legitimate dealer and a few dollars more than what an illegitimate dealer with China made phones was selling.

But then again, there is still that possibility. Maybe I should call Guitar Center and ask them where their are from

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #40 of 84
 That's one of the 1st things I'll check when I get both.  Made in China or Made in Japan.  :)

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #41 of 84
Newer official Sony's don't say Made in Thailand.
Just Thailand on the actual headphone.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2271/sonythai.jpg

Most of their headphones are made there now I don't know if every model is though.
Still probably soon enough maybe bootlegs will simply say Thailand.
Thats why people should get stuff from a real deal place instead of shady places.

And really why even bother getting a Sony other brands sound much better.

I really doubt the 7506 is made in japan unless they have really old stock.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #42 of 84
So the 7506's aren't made in China?  If they say Thailand, probably legit, China is not?

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #43 of 84
Well what did you buy ebay pair from China? For $40.
If so I'm sure its bootlegged.
I'm not sure if Sony has has all models now being made in Thailand now.But if they have others why not all?

But really why do you even want a pair?
Extreme treble, people talk about headphones with recessed mids they still sound good. Well you call these no mids then.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #44 of 84
I have a 2006 MDR-7506 from SonyStyle in Canada. The 1/8" plug is gold-plated with black green spacers and black aluminum body. The 1/4" adapter screws onto the 1/8" and is gold-plated with black green spacers also. The coiled cable very flexible where it is straight, matte black, and has no memory of being bent, coiled, etc. The box says "Made in China", as does the plastic piece with a screw on the inside of the headband. All the best to the OP with getting an authentic 7506!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back