Are these fake OP amps? (FX Audio Dac-X6)
Jan 12, 2019 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nofacemonster

100+ Head-Fier
I just opened up my FX Audio Dac-X6 and found a OP2134 inside looks pretty legit from the way it looked. Then i got few other OP amp which i would like to try rolling with it but OP2604 looks fake to me. Any idea?

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FAKE BB!.jpg
    FAKE BB!.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Well, I'm not sure why you would think the OPA2604 is fake. I can't guarantee that it's not, but someone went to a lot of trouble to reproduce all the TI/Burr-Brown markings. I can't tell you what they stand for, the OPA2604AP is a current offering. I've purchased opamps on a semi-regular basis for over 10 years. I can tell you that there's a wide variance in the markings - both style and type that Burr-Brown uses.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Well, I'm not sure why you would think the OPA2604 is fake. I can't guarantee that it's not, but someone went to a lot of trouble to reproduce all the TI/Burr-Brown markings. I can't tell you what they stand for, the OPA2604AP is a current offering. I've purchased opamps on a semi-regular basis for over 10 years. I can tell you that there's a wide variance in the markings - both style and type that Burr-Brown uses.
s-l300.jpg

That is the reason why i thought because when you compare it with the above image. It definitely looks fake because that small round mark is not there and the letters are panning too much to left.

It really doesn't matter if it's fake as long as it functions like the original and sound like the original. This is my main concern, life maybe shorter but doesn't matter as long as it sounds like the actual thing.

thanks a lot for you help and replies.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 10

That is the reason why i thought because when you compare it with the above image. It definitely looks fake because that small round mark is not there and the letters are panning too much to left.

It really doesn't matter if it's fake as long as it functions like the original and sound like the original. This is my main concern, life maybe shorter but doesn't matter as long as it sounds like the actual thing.

thanks a lot for you help and replies.

I have heard of fake MUSES as they are pricey but the 2134 is a low cost part so unlikely. The difference in markings may be due to location made, batch, materials used or revisions to the production line itself.
This type of product can be made on large lines with machines that use magazines or reels etc and up so there are many reasons as to why one differs over another. I personally like the ones with the shiny pins and clear markings. :)

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 10
I have heard of fake MUSES as they are pricey but the 2134 is a low cost part so unlikely. The difference in markings may be due to location made, batch, materials used or revisions to the production line itself.
This type of product can be made on large lines with machines that use magazines or reels etc and up so there are many reasons as to why one differs over another. I personally like the ones with the shiny pins and clear markings. :)
Thanks a lot for the info

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks a lot for the info

I ended up getting another with a burson opamp, it's a decent little unit in high gain. Not as refined as a Liquid carbon or 789 but it holds it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back