Are there any serious musicians here in head-fi?
Jun 11, 2007 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm rather curious if there are any serious musicians lurking around head-fi. By serious, I mean someone who either derives 50% or more of their or their family's income from music, or is educated beyond a bachelors in performance in some musical discipline.

I've noticed that few musicians have much "audiophile" gear, and I wanted to see if the same held true for headphones. Just killing the cat, so to speak.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 8
I wanted this to become my career. I was side-tracked unfortunately. And now im in a job/jobs i dont want to do. Thus made me stop expanding my musicality. I wish i could go back to it, but these days are not very happy.

I own a heedcanamp, microdac, akg 701 and A-T ES7s

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I consider myself to be a serious musician, though I don't meet your criteria. A significant portion of my income is from music, though not 50%. I played 28 paying gigs in May, and have 10 on the calendar for June.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 8
I think 28 paying gigs in May qualifies. The "magic number" I've heard is 200 per year, and you're certainly on track.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 8
28?! Holy crap man.
blink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 8
I've had 14 gigs last month and I don't qualify for the 50% income thing either.

I doubt that being able to live of it has to do a lot with being a serious musician though. Sadly it's not so much about making good music any more.

Either way. I am going to quit making music for a while because of the time I will have to put in to it. It's just not working very well when I have to go to school/work as well.
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Unfortunately, serious has to be defined SOME way, and this was my arbitrary definition. I'm looking for the level of serious that, when faced with the time crunch over school and work, quits their job and school and goes out on the road.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm on my way there!

I'll be attending Wright State Univ. this fall majoring in Music performance/education.

I'm unsure exactly what I'll do, but I'll be playing tuba for the rest of my life, at least I hope I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back