Are there any PC sacd players?
Mar 26, 2003 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pj325is

Head-Fier
Yeah..I kinda want an sacd player, but i do the majority of my music listening at my computer, and i was wondering if anyone makes an internal sacd player for pc.

Mar 26, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 22
Re: Are there any PC sacd players?

No.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 22
Although can't you get DVD-A with a standard DVD-Rom drive, and a suitably equipped 24/192 soundcard?

Mar 27, 2003 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 22
I'm pretty sure that DVD-A works with the Audigy 2 and a DVD drive.

SACD doesn't work with computers because Sony fears that people will figure out how to copy it.

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 22
The reason i ask is b/c i saw an option in windows media player that allows for 24 bit music playback..and i guess it's for dvd-a

Does the dvd player in the pc have to support dvd-a or do all of them support it anyway?

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 22
Since there aren't any "DVD-A" drives as far as I know, I'm pretty sure they all support it. However, you won't be able to play a DVD-A disk without an Audigy 2 sound card. I would read more at Creative's site and check out some reviews around the net if you are considering getting an Audigy 2.

Mar 28, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 22
What is the purpose of trying to play hi-rez media on a computer DVD-Rom drive and soundcard in a noisy chassis not built to function as a hi-rez audio device? Defenders of computer-based music and soundcards will surely disagree, but IMO, there is no way for a computer sound card to match performance of an actual SACDP. If you care about sound quality, which you must if you are contemplating buying into hi-rez, you should consider keeping your music away from your computer, and listening to actual CDs and SACDs on a stand-alone player and amp. I doubt you'll get the most out of either new format on a computer system. Just my .02.

Mark

Mar 29, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 22
markl: Agreed. Nevertheless, there is a purpose - on company side: increasing the user base. So giving a license to Creative might have been a good idea of the DVD-A party from the marketing aspect.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: From the user aspect, it could at least get interesting for pc based musicians/producers/mixers: With the standard for self-burned DVD-As in the making, it would be nice to have some DAE means for DVD-A at hand - as well as for SACD, but Sony seems rather paranoid at the moment...

Mar 29, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 22
I also agree with markl,
I think benefits of SACD would be negated by having all the noise and RF interference. Soundcards are pretty compromised to begin with. Then there's the interference of a CPU and Video processor running 1-2GHz a few inches away from the soundcard. It spells sonic c-r-u-d compared to the potential of proper stand-alone equipment.

Aug 9, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 22
Bringing to life an old thread here, but what can one do...since you can't play SACDs on a PC, i'll assume you can't rip the music to a PC, from a SACD, either? A shame, i was going to get the David Bowie - Heathen SACD, but seeing how it's single layered, i doubt that now. I need my rips!

Aug 9, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
I also agree with markl,
I think benefits of SACD would be negated by having all the noise and RF interference. Soundcards are pretty compromised to begin with. Then there's the interference of a CPU and Video processor running 1-2GHz a few inches away from the soundcard. It spells sonic c-r-u-d compared to the potential of proper stand-alone equipment.

Dammit... "I will not overreact to ignorance and misinformation... I will not overreact to ignorance and misinformation... I will not overreact to ignorance and misinformation..."
rolleyes.gif

I suppose the words "properly shielded" don't mean anything to anyone making these claims that PC sound cards are so bad. Nope, didn't think so -- this is one area that's a notoriously 'tough nut to crack' with audiophiles, despite the fact that many standalone pieces of equipment are around sources of noise just as bad as (or worse than) what's inside a PC -- power supplies, CD mechanisms and motors, op amps, DACs, digital displays, etc. It's a kind of prejudice, it seems, that anything inside a computer is automatically compromised (despite measureable noise floors with the better sound cards ~ 105dB, which is lower than the noise floor of CD itself and of course completely inaudible -- what the hell, what are measurements anyway? What are ears, for that matter? All that counts is that it's inside a PC, and thus automatically bad...)

I'm through ranting... what a frigging waste of time
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back