Are there any headphones that can match multi-armature IEM's?
May 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
Having come from a pair of Unique Melody modded TF10x6 (TripleFi 10 + 3 drivers per side) to a pair of HE-400's it's got me wondering...are there any full-sized cans that can match the audio quality of IEM's? 

I'm relatively new to the high-end IEM game having only owned the UE 900's and the TF10x6 in the upper regions (I've owned a lot of mid to lower end buds of course). I've also owned many full-sized cans now...from the HE-400's to the T90 to the HD 650. However, looking back none of them come CLOSE to matching my TF10x6's. No where near matching the audio quality of an IEM that even they themselves are JUST middle of the road in the over all IEM world...not to mention they were cheaper used than any of the headphones I listed above. 

I've found these IEM's to literally be better in every aspect compared to any can's I've ever owned...better sub-bass, bass, mids, highs, separation, sound stage, etc. No comparison from any of my full-sized beasts.

Also, considering the high-end can's (think HD 800, HE-600, etc) aren't really THAT dramatically different from their cheaper brethren just has me wondering...are there any headphones that can match the sonic levels of a nice IEM?

Just has me worried...I like headphones...the comfort and ease of use is awesome. However, it's becoming increasingly apparent that I won't be able to get a headphone to my degree of audio quality without dropping $1,000+...if at all.

So yeah...is it just me or are mid to high quality IEM's just THAT good? If we're talking a UM Miracle or similar level IEM what full-sized headphones REALLY compare?

May 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 11
No, not really.

I noticed you haven't tried Audio Technica wood and on-ear headphones, Beyer's DT line-up (not the Tesla lineup) and Denon Dx000 headphones.

The headphones you listed (HE-400, T90, HD650) are just very peculiar examples. The HE-400 has a V-shaped sound that has a bit of a midrange suckout. The T90 is bass-light, and it has too much of a treble emphasis. The HD650, on the other hand, has too much of a treble de-emphasis, and the soundstage is too closed in.

For a headphone that may sound better than the Triple Fi 10, try the Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT770, or Denon D2000/D5000/D7000. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Myself, personally, I have always found that IEMs have a "small" sound. As in... there may be width and depth to the sound, but there is no "height". Objects and instruments just appear "smaller" than they should be.

I can say the same about smaller drivers on full-size headphones, though. The effect is very noticeable especially on music that has big ambience like orchestra... or opera. That's why so many revere the soundstage of the HD800. It has a huge 57mm driver... as opposed to most other headphones that have drivers around the 40mm mark.

May 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 11

For a headphone that may sound better than the Triple Fi 10, try the Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT770, or Denon D2000/D5000/D7000. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Not just a Triple Fi 10...but a Triple Fi PLUS three additional drivers per ear...not even including better IEM's like the Miracle and JH13/16, etc.

Plus, considering the headphones you listed and their reviews I don't see any of them really being BETTER, especially over all, compared to any of the headphones I've owned in the past. 

So...yeah...I think my original point still stands. There really aren't any full-sized headphones that can match nice IEM's for under $500 or maybe even much more.

May 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Not just a Triple Fi 10...but a Triple Fi PLUS three additional drivers per ear...not even including better IEM's like the Miracle and JH13/16, etc.

Plus, considering the headphones you listed and their reviews I don't see any of them really being BETTER, especially over all, compared to any of the headphones I've owned in the past. 

So...yeah...I think my original point still stands. There really aren't any full-sized headphones that can match nice IEM's for under $500 or maybe even much more.

You seem to have formed an opinion already, and you refuse to try other possibilities, so...

What's the point of the discussion?

I'm just saying... try other headphones before you make a statement.

The ones you listed are hardly representative of the best that can be had under $500. With the exception of the HD650, but that one needs the right amp to shine.

May 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 11
You seem to have formed an opinion already, and you refuse to try other possibilities, so...

What's the point of the discussion?

I'm just saying... try other headphones before you make a statement.

The ones you listed are hardly representative of the best that can be had under $500. With the exception of the HD650, but that one needs the right amp to shine.

No not at all but unless the other headphones you mentioned are literally leaps and bounds better in every category then I don't see them being any better. 

Like, all the headphones you listed and all the ones I've tried based on comparisons and reviews etc all seem to be somewhere in the same general category.

To put an analogy on it I'll use cars and call them the headphones you and I have mentioned in the $30,000 to $80,000 price range. Your Mustangs, Chargers, and Challengers etc (I'm using American here). Definitely all great cars and all of them having their weak points and strong points but they're all pretty similar and the performance is all on the same general level. 

To me IEM's like your multi-driver ones are like the Vipers and Corvettes and Ford GT's of the car world...if not maybe higher than that. They're simply on a whole different level. Everything about them is just that much better. Better performance and handling. Just...nicer...

So that's what I'm talking about. I am in no way decided that I just like IEM's or anything. I want a pair of headphones that can match or come damn close to matching IEM's. That's why I'm asking this in the first place. 

So can you honestly say that headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT880/DT770 or Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 are really Vipers compared to Challengers? Are they THAT much better? I don't think so...not based on my experience so far not to mention reviews and others personal experience.

That's where my problem is. It's impossible to find IEM vs. over the ear comparisons. Unfortunately I don't access to $1,000+ cans to just try as I'd like. Do you have personal experience with $600+ IEM's? 

May 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 11
This game we play with audiophilia is one of DIMINISHING returns, you may have just well found your point if diminishing returns at your beloved TF10x6.

For the record, I've heard $60 Chinese OEM headphones and earphones that sound just as good and headphones costing 5-10 times as much, and likewise I've found that only in certain rather expensive equipment can I get the right sound I am looking for. You may have to consider that IEMs are YOUR holy grail, and you simply have had the good fortune of finding a pair that to you beats out all the rest, headphone or IEM. For me, (or anyone else for that matter) I find IEMs (most anyways) lacking in soundstage depth and realism of clarity, and in my years of audiophilia I have leaned away from multiple armature IEMs in general, and more towards dynamic driver IEMs or open headphones. Hope this offers another view on the topic, and remember; This hobby is purely and completely subjective, one man's trash can be another man's treasure.

Edit: If you're looking for a pair of headphones that can match the sound quality of your IEMs, I'd recommend heading down to a local meet/headphone shop to demo things yourself, I doubt many people have heard a TF10x6, given that they're rather unique and have extra drivers added. I'm also guessing they're CIEMs rather than UIEMs, and having a custom fit always leads to a better sound, since the CIEM is moulded to the shape of your ear, and there's no loss of sound quality through poor fit.

May 12, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 11
neither the denon line nor the non tesla beyers will Show as much Details, pinpoint Imaging and sharp Instrument Separation - not to mention Speed - that Multi ba-driver iems will Show.

May 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Maybe a Pandora Hope VI? It's a multi driver full size headphone that some people saw beats anything they have heard, but it's $700 I think.

May 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 11

No not at all but unless the other headphones you mentioned are literally leaps and bounds better in every category then I don't see them being any better. 

Like, all the headphones you listed and all the ones I've tried based on comparisons and reviews etc all seem to be somewhere in the same general category.

To put an analogy on it I'll use cars and call them the headphones you and I have mentioned in the $30,000 to $80,000 price range. Your Mustangs, Chargers, and Challengers etc (I'm using American here). Definitely all great cars and all of them having their weak points and strong points but they're all pretty similar and the performance is all on the same general level. 

To me IEM's like your multi-driver ones are like the Vipers and Corvettes and Ford GT's of the car world...if not maybe higher than that. They're simply on a whole different level. Everything about them is just that much better. Better performance and handling. Just...nicer...

So that's what I'm talking about. I am in no way decided that I just like IEM's or anything. I want a pair of headphones that can match or come damn close to matching IEM's. That's why I'm asking this in the first place. 

So can you honestly say that headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT880/DT770 or Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 are really Vipers compared to Challengers? Are they THAT much better? I don't think so...not based on my experience so far not to mention reviews and others personal experience.

That's where my problem is. It's impossible to find IEM vs. over the ear comparisons. Unfortunately I don't access to $1,000+ cans to just try as I'd like. Do you have personal experience with $600+ IEM's? 

Something being leaps and bounds better would only happen when it has the right chain of source components (DAC and amp) to support it.

And yeah, I can vouch that the Beyer DT headphones and the Denon line are better or at least comparable to the headphones you mentioned.

To add to that, I have heard a good number of high-end IEMs, to name a few, UERM, IE800 (Sennheiser), and Tralucent 1plus2. And I have also heard the Triple Fi 10. When I heard the TF10, I thought it sounded slightly too grainy with the midrange, and the treble was too aggressive on certain tracks. The Beyer DT880 would be a good full-size counterpart if you are looking for one.

Beyond that, I have my own headphones that I have tuned to my own sound preference. I also thought that my modded headphones sounded very nice, but I always learn new things about other gears at meet, and I have always found that I wanted to improve the tuning a lot more.

There are always nice gears around the corner. A good way for you to demo them is by going to meets and gatherings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back