are there any affordable amps that have good macro-dynamic focus?
Feb 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DoctaCosmos

Headphoneus Supremus
i auditioned some headphones last week and it was my first time hearing anything in that price range.  Lcd-3, Abyss, lcd-xc
i thought i had a good grasp the sound of each...for the most part.  I knew what the amp was that was driving them for the most part, the Cavalli LiquidGold.
Sidetrack; i have my profile bookmarked and always miss out on the head-fi main page news/articles.  I decided to check it out and saw a video Jude post that had the abyss, lcd-3 and other headphones with the liquid -gold.  basically the same set-up i heard so i had to check it out.
My thoughts on the lcd-3 were that it had a lot of focus on the micro-dynamics,  like the headphone zoomed in on them and then added sugary sweetness to them.  let me tell you, i liked it A LOT.  While watching the video i heard Jude mention that the Cavalli excelled in a lot of things and he mentioned "Macro-dynamics."  It kind of hit me that maybe what i heard was a combination of the lcd-3's more up-close vocals and the amps magic.
Plain and simple, i can not afford the liquidgold.....or anything near that much. While i'm not even positive the lcd-3 is the headphone i want as i still have to go back and audition other headphones, if i did want the lcd-3 that would such a stretch and honestly i'd have to make payments here and there and keep it a secret from my wife....then tell her i won some money on a scratch off when i had it paid off lol.  i hope she doesn't come over as i'm typing this.
So is there any amps that anyone can think of that have this attribute?  I find it very appealing.  Guessing i could at the most spring for around $500-1000. 
Would a fully balanced headphone amp be better at this then one that is not?
I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back