Are their any earmuffs with deep bass?
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JohnSample

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I need help to find a hearing protection noise isolating ear muff headphone. The ones I have saw online are the Howard Leight Sync, Honeywell Sync, an AM/FM earmuff with clock brand unknown, and the 3M WorkTunes. However, I have saw a frequency graph of the Sync online, and other than for parts I am not considering it. The one with the clock there are a ton being sold by one seller but they appear to not have enough bass so that is practically a no either.

These facts point me toward the 3M WorkTunes. I would assume they sound decent doing a job or building, but I would also want to know if they are high fidelity and if they distort. I would also want to know if anyone has used them with an equalizer.

Also, are their any alternative earmuffs other than the ones I mentioned?

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello.

I need help to find a hearing protection noise isolating ear muff headphone. The ones I have saw online are the Howard Leight Sync, Honeywell Sync, an AM/FM earmuff with clock brand unknown, and the 3M WorkTunes. However, I have saw a frequency graph of the Sync online, and other than for parts I am not considering it. The one with the clock there are a ton being sold by one seller but they appear to not have enough bass so that is practically a no either.

These facts point me toward the 3M WorkTunes. I would assume they sound decent doing a job or building, but I would also want to know if they are high fidelity and if they distort. I would also want to know if anyone has used them with an equalizer.

Also, are their any alternative earmuffs other than the ones I mentioned?

Hi,

I tried the 3M WorkTunes for outdoor labors such as using a leafblower, mowing lawn etc. While they did a very good job with passive noise isolation, the cons were too great:

(1) They were heavy and uncomfortable (close to 14ozs I think).
(2) They trapped too much heat.
(3) They did not sound that good.
(4) They had no volume controls.
(4) And most importantly, the bluetooth was flaky. The biggest complaint I saw on Amazon was that even with their phone 4 feet from the headset, people said that it would still drop and disconnect. I can say that this is eventually what I experienced when I finally put them on the shelf and decided to approach the problem from the other direction.

Instead of looking for hearing protection earmuffs that also do what traditional headphones do, I looked for a decent budget pair of ANC over ear headphones for doing my yard work. I used rtings.com data to find what that sounded decent, had good noise isolation/cancellation for the frequencies I was interested in and were comfortable. I ended up with two different models.

The JBL E65BTNC (picked up for $100 on sale from jbl.com) and the Mpow H10 ($50-$60 Amazon). The JBL are the better of the two for general use but the Mpow do a better job cancelling engine noise such as lawnmowers and snow throwers. I use the JBLs on my commute as well as when I use the electric leaf blower. They've been replaced by the JBL Live 650BTNC which rtings.com did not rate as high with regard to noise isolation.

Depending on what your requirements are, you may be able to go the same route. I'd recommend visiting rtings.com and looking at their noise isolation information for their ANC over ear headphones.

As for more traditional hearing protection ear muffs that also do bluetooth/music, the only other model I'm aware is one by Stihl. You can visit their web site to check out its details.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back