are the sr80s worth the 20 bucks?
Jun 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 30
Get the 80s. Best bang-buck ratio of any headphones I've ever owned. If you don't find the bass punchy enough without EQing (Grados do not like it and throw a fit when you turn your equalizer on
wink.gif
) simply line the outside of the bowl with 3M electrical tape. Voila!

My walk to work each morning is filled with upfront, punchy heavy metal and they are inexpensive enough to not worry TOO much about wearing them outside.

My 325is are another beast entirely though.
biggrin.gif
Grado has a history of making fanboys out of skeptics.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 30
I would save up and go straight for the 225. Its miles ahead of the lower grado models. I was not impressed all that much by the 60,80 and 125.

But between the two however (60 and 80), if you think you will like bowls more, go for the 80 since you have to spend on bowls to mod the 60 anyway if thats your thing. So its more personal preference than SQ.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #22 of 30
The MS1 is a great headphone and available at a better price. I'm not sure, but the drivers are often compared with the SR125's. (ie they may be the same)

They're less edgy sounding and I think, more refined. A great buy.

Ian

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 30
When using bowls on both the SR60 and the SR80, I could not tell the difference between the two. I would go with the SR60 and buy some bowls to compare to the stock comfies.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

When using bowls on both the SR60 and the SR80, I could not tell the difference between the two. I would go with the SR60 and buy some bowls to compare to the stock comfies.

That's what i suggested earlier, only GlorytheWiz825 summarized it way more nicely!

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #25 of 30
Well, here: go buy a SR 60 and RS-1, and then you have the bowls for the SR 60 already!
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 30
COmfort is subjective. I have never found Grado/Alessandro to be uncomfortable once the pads broke in.

If you are looking for the best bang for buck in the lineup, I recommend a MS2i (used) with flat pads.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COmfort is subjective. I have never found Grado/Alessandro to be uncomfortable once the pads broke in.

If you are looking for the best bang for buck in the lineup, I recommend a MS2i (used) with flat pads.

I agree (about the comfort). My 325is hurt my ears for a bit. A week after I got them I could wear them for hours. Just a matter of the pads softening and headband stretching a bit.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 30
Im with Mule and QQQ on this one. sr60 with stock comfies + bowls is CHEAPER than sr80 with bowls alone. you get TWO pads with the sr60, one which you can mod to your hearts content (quarter mod, et al).

do you honestly think you can HEAR the difference between a 3 conductor and a 4 conductor cable? Theyre both prone to the dreaded grado cable twist ANYWAY (part of their charm, i likes to say
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back