Are the pads on the AKG K553PRO replaceable?
Sep 22, 2015 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

100+ Head-Fier
I may be getting a pair of the AKG K553s (purposely overlooking the non-detachable cord which is usually a deal breaker), but I need to know if the ear pads are replaceable or not. If they are not, than that will be the deal breaker on these.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 6
They are replaceable. Do a search on Amazon or eBay.

Thank you. I did and came up empty, at least for anything official. Ebay is verboten for me.
I did find a lot of owners trying to sell theirs though and having trouble finding takers even at well south of $100, that is not a good sign, so I am passing on them.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the K545 and I haven't found a suitable replacement either. The problem is the circular pads. I tried the HM5 oval pads with the K545 but they screwed with the frequency response too much. Fit was imperfect as well. On the other hand, a headphone with oval-shaped pads like the M50 or Sony 7506/V6 have multiple replacements available. The HM5 pads on the M50 fit like a glove, and to me they actually make the sound more balanced vs. the M50 with stock pads.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 6
I wasn't able to find official pads either but I did get a pair of aftermarket pads on ebay (only $10 so i figured why not) and I can confirm that they work perfectly. Obviously craftsmanship and material aren't as nice, but like I said, $10 and sound signature wasn't affected as far as I can tell (they are circular pads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back