are the ms2 tameable? possible combination w/ dt990 or k702
Mar 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
first of all they are a definite step up from my ms1. but boy anything other than rock is a pain to listen. i recently discovered some live concerts from n. jones and eva cassidy. they sound amazing on my beat down er4p and cowon d2 combo. then i tried listening to them in my ms2 (using my ht reciever). night and day. whoever say this hobby is just a matter of personal taste is wrong. try this out and im sure you wont like it either. its not only unenjoyable, its irritating.

so there goes my little rant of the day. here is the question will a proper amp or burn in(im thinking several hundred hours) tame them down or this is just that grado sound many of the guys here love.

someone is selling dt990 on ebay(under 200 usd) or k702(around 250) so should i just make these cans exclusively for rock and pair it with either one of these for vocals and a little classical.

btw no amp as of now (just my ht amp) still looking for a good one(already started a thread for it)

thanks guys.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think Grado's change as much as some phones with burn in and if you really don't like what they do with other genres than rock, an amp most likely won't change that.

I've used two AVR's, Sony and Denon, to drive headphones, and I've had no complaints with either.

For vocal/acoustic/classical, I absolutely adore my K701's. They share the same driver with the K702, but be advised: The 300 hour break-in period is no joke. They will change, for the better imo, but only after a serious amount of time. If you run them 10 hours a day for 5 days a week, that will still take 6 weeks. So I advise anyone hold off on their judgment at least that long. The headband of the AKG's is not too great, but I tied mine up with zip-ties, and found it much easier on the skull
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Doesnt the MS-2 sound different to Grados? Alot hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back