Are the Edition 10 the most expensive dynamic transducer headphone of all time?
Nov 13, 2010 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm aware many oop headphones sell for more.  But is the 2750 MSRP the highest price on a dynamic transducer headphone so far?

How much did the R10, Qualia and L3000 sell for new?

I truly hope the Edition 10 do something magical in comparison to the other flagships in the $950-$1700 range.

Is the transducer redesigned from the ground up, or is it essentially an Edition 8 transducer with a few tweaks?

Price will certainly be worth it if it's a clear game changer, otherwise I wonder if it will phase out due to the substantially lower prices of other company flagships.  Certainly looks very nice and comes with a really nice case and accessories.

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 31

Quote:
I'm aware many oop headphones sell for more.  But is the 2750 MSRP the highest price on a dynamic transducer headphone so far?

How much did the R10, Qualia and L3000 sell for new?

I truly hope the Edition 10 do something magical in comparison to the other flagships in the $950-$1700 range.

Is the transducer redesigned from the ground up, or is it essentially an Edition 8 transducer with a few tweaks?

Price will certainly be worth it if it's a clear game changer, otherwise I wonder if it will phase out due to the substantially lower prices of other company flagships.  Certainly looks very nice and comes with a really nice case and accessories.

Not sure about the prices of the ones you listed but i remember seeing the Edition 7 retailing for approx $3000 and that was 4 years ago
eek.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 31
^ Good point.............. 

I'm sure the Edition 10 sound good, possibly amazing.......I'm just curious about there being a market for a 2800 dollar flagship when the world's greatest in-production flagships are literally half the price or less.  I'm sure Ultrasone is carefully researched on this matter.  They're products are often the best looking as well.  

It's just going to be weird when for instance........ Headroom starts selling the Edition 10 and still has the "simply the world's best headphones" attached to the HD800.....if I was on their site I would think "why would I spend double the money on a lesser headphone"..............

I feel from my own experience that each headphone company has their own variable incremental increases in price per sound quality advantage.  What I mean is, I feel a 300 dollar Sennheiser is superior to a 300 dollar Ultrasone or 300 dollar Grado.......stuff like that.  In my opinion, Grado and Ultrasone seem to rise their prices to degrees which are higher for the same sound quality advantage as other brands.

I'm probably not making sense because I'm half asleep and will read this in the morning and have a laugh at my incoherence.  But what I'm really trying to say is ................Is a 2800 dollar Ultrasone going to be essentially the quality of 1400 dollar Sennheiser? Every brand has their fanbase and Ultrasone certainly has its merits, but the price point is puzzling to me unless the headphone is just clearly a superior headphone in every possible way..........I think it wins in the looks department thus far, at least against other current flagships.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 31
It just sounds different from the Edition 9 and Pro 750 from Ultrasone. Picture yourself sitting in the first five rows of an orchestra playing in a large concert hall or a rock band playing in an indoor stadium and there you are. This is what the Edition 10 sounds like. It may be amazing for some, but for me it is just an incremental improvement over my current batch of headphones and still has some catching up to do with audiophile stereo speakers.

I think a lot of money goes into the build quality and the materials used. From my experience with Ultrasone, it may be in the pipeline that they will release a cheaper non-limited edition model with about the same sound quality without all the blings.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 31
I have high hopes for ED 10 in plastics :D. The Ultrasone Pro 900 is really good bang for buck. Haven´t heard the 2900.

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
It just sounds different from the Edition 9 and Pro 750 from Ultrasone. Picture yourself sitting in the first five rows of an orchestra playing in a large concert hall or a rock band playing in an indoor stadium and there you are. This is what the Edition 10 sounds like. It may be amazing for some, but for me it is just an incremental improvement over my current batch of headphones and still has some catching up to do with audiophile stereo speakers.

I think a lot of money goes into the build quality and the materials used. From my experience with Ultrasone, it may be in the pipeline that they will release a cheaper non-limited edition model with about the same sound quality without all the blings.

Ultrasone seems to introduce new top of the line headphones frequently . I always feel that if I pull the trigger they will bring out something better and cheaper afterwards. (Ed7-Ed9-Ed8)

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 31
I have never seen Edition7 up for sale. Who ever bought them new will not get their money back-$3105.
Editon9 had a msrp of $1799 and can be bought used for around $1000.  Edition8 is still new and holds its value well as far as I can see.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 31
The Ed. 9 normally sold for the 12 to 13 hundred dollar range. If the used market is 1000, an owner isn't boing to take much of hit on the price he/she paid. I have never seen an Ed. 7 for sale. The 750's use the same driver as the Ed. 9 and sell for a few hundred dollars. While they are close in sound the 9 is a little better but the 750's are good enough frankly. I think that a fair bit of the cost of the 10 is the bling. I would prefer to see even more go into the drivers, if possible, than bling factor. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Well that history is certainly not comforting for potential ED10 buyers.  What happens when the better sounding ED11 comes out for 1500? 
redface.gif

Judging by past history, the new one might not even be called Edition11 (7-9-8-10). Pricing is also anybody's guess.They went down in price big time from Edition7 through to Edition8, and sound quality went up at the same time according to most people.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
The Ed. 9 normally sold for the 12 to 13 hundred dollar range. If the used market is 1000, an owner isn't boing to take much of hit on the price he/she paid. I have never seen an Ed. 7 for sale. The 750's use the same driver as the Ed. 9 and sell for a few hundred dollars. While they are close in sound the 9 is a little better but the 750's are good enough frankly. I think that a fair bit of the cost of the 10 is the bling. I would prefer to see even more go into the drivers, if possible, than bling factor. 

I had the Pro750 for a while and didn't feel they sound anything like the Edition9. They were eventually sold.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 31
Didn't the R10 retail for $4,000?

I'm not buying the Ed. 10 on principle. It may sound incredible, but I wouldn't buy Renova toilet paper, either.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Quote:

I had the Pro750 for a while and didn't feel they sound anything like the Edition9. They were eventually sold.

I do feel they sound a little different but they have the same driver and to me they sound close. I corresponded with a Headfier in Hawaii for some time before purchasing the 9's who thought they didn't sound enough different (improvement) to make the purchase. I have corresponded with other who felt there was enough of a difference but not a great deal, just more refinement of the sound. I also think the small earpad area of the 9's makes a difference and the larger area of the 750's can change the sound if the phones aren't positioned correctly. The position of the 750's can change the sound a fair bit and if not right, they do not sound near the 9's, IMO. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 31
I am aware that they have the same driver but Edition9 sounded much better to me when I had both of them. I know people share your view about them and some others also feel Hfi780 with the mod sounded similar to Edition9 . Again, not to my ears. I even thought that my 750 was defective but after I sold them I asked the buyer if they sounded okay and  he told me they were really good. That shows how people can hear the same headphones differently. This is just one of the examples. I wish I was happy with my 750 and saved myself a bit of money but it wasn't the case.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back