Are the DT990s worth it if I own DT880s?
Aug 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed a huge price increase in the DT990 600ohm headphones in the last few days.  This wasn't my next planned upgrade as I wanted to get the tube amp first for my DT880s, then fix my mobile situation, then add the DT990s.

As prices fluctuate on Beyers, should I just ignore it, stick to my plan and just pay the extra $100 if needed when the time comes, or should I jump at one of the last pairs from a site that still has them for the old price.

Just for reference, I'm using a solid state Onkyo at the moment and I've heard 990s can sound harsh through SS amps due to the highs, which was why I was pushing the purchase off.  I hate to spend an extra hundred if the price stays high, but I also don't want to get a headphone that I won't be able to listen to until I upgrade my amp.  Choices...choices.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I noticed a huge price increase in the DT990 600ohm headphones in the last few days.  This wasn't my next planned upgrade as I wanted to get the tube amp first for my DT880s, then fix my mobile situation, then add the DT990s.

As prices fluctuate on Beyers, should I just ignore it, stick to my plan and just pay the extra $100 if needed when the time comes, or should I jump at one of the last pairs from a site that still has them for the old price.

Just for reference, I'm using a solid state Onkyo at the moment and I've heard 990s can sound harsh through SS amps due to the highs, which was why I was pushing the purchase off.  I hate to spend an extra hundred if the price stays high, but I also don't want to get a headphone that I won't be able to listen to until I upgrade my amp.  Choices...choices.

Two days ago, I paid $245 plus $20 tax.  I have amazon prime so they will come today via "free" shipping.  They're from the amazon warehouse so they are either returned or refurbed or both and amazon has a return policy.  HTH.

Edit:  Right now they're $268.  I would keep checking like I did and pay less than $250.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 9
My opinion is, that DT990 are terrible sounding headphones. They are not balanced, and I didn't find them funny at all. The trembles pierced my ears so much, that I wasn't able to listen most of rocks and metal tracks more than 5 minutes. The basses wasn't very nice, they had just more weight and quantity. I didn't find basses nice. Was much more content with DT880's basses.
DT990 are like screwed up DT880. DT880 wons in every aspects over DT990 for me. To be honest, even for 100$ I would not want DT990, maybe only because to sell them for more.
But I understand, someone can like them. But not someone, who wants to hear real music. Anyway, 99% peoples are not listening to music, but something that left from it, and they are content with it. So I'll be not suprised, if same person tells me, that he likes DT990 more. This age is weird.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 9
I find the Beyer pricing weird.  I bought my DT880s for $260 new.  A few days ago DT990s were $260 new, now they're $379.  I'm thinking if I wait and I still want them, they'll come back down.  As far as the sound, I haven't heard them, but maybe they aren't for me since I'm not a bass head and I'm pretty treble sensitive.  I was surprised I liked my DT880s so much because of the treble, but it blends well, imho; and I think when I add the tubes it'll give them new life.  I find them perfect for classical and acoustic, but when it comes to rock and jazz I'm adjusting my EQ and adding bass boost, which I guess is okay, too.

I think I'll just stick with my current plans and buy something later for rock...maybe Grado is a better solution.

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 9
My opinion is, that DT990 are terrible sounding headphones. They are not balanced, and I didn't find them funny at all. The trembles pierced my ears so much, that I wasn't able to listen most of rocks and metal tracks more than 5 minutes. The basses wasn't very nice, they had just more weight and quantity. I didn't find basses nice. Was much more content with DT880's basses.
DT990 are like screwed up DT880. DT880 wons in every aspects over DT990 for me. To be honest, even for 100$ I would not want DT990, maybe only because to sell them for more.
But I understand, someone can like them. But not someone, who wants to hear real music. Anyway, 99% peoples are not listening to music, but something that left from it, and they are content with it. So I'll be not suprised, if same person tells me, that he likes DT990 more. This age is weird.

You're more than welcome to your opinion there. However you said some pretty dumb things and if I were the OP I'd take your entire post with a grain of salt. You imply that I have no taste or my choice of music is wrong because I happen to love the 990s. Pretty stupid. I bought a pair of 990s after owning some 880s and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. If you mainly listen to rock, classical, acoustic music then look for something more neutral. If you're into anything electronic, definitely look into the 990s. Some of the most fun hp's I've ever tried. You won't be disappointed.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 9
I find the Beyer pricing weird.  I bought my DT880s for $260 new.  A few days ago DT990s were $260 new, now they're $379.  I'm thinking if I wait and I still want them, they'll come back down.

If u are okay with waiting Beyer has an ebay account. Their user name is bd-usa. I ordered my 990 premium 32 ohm from them for 200 bucks. Free shipping.

You have to keep checking and every now and then they list cans.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 9
OP - if you like your 880's I'd actually suggest sticking to your original plan.  The DT880's IMO love tubes.  I have a LD MKIV and I find the one thing that was missing in the DT880's (a slightly more forward mid-range) is cured for me by using the LD.  I also found the same when I had my Go-Vibe PortaTube.

The DT990's will also sound great with a tube amp - and in the meantime you can keep checking the FS forums.  Sooner or later a great condition pair will come up - and you can get them when the time (and price) is right for you.   In my experience (so far) most head-fiers really look after their gear.  All of my current cans were purchased from the FS forums.  Couldn't be happier!

BTW - your comment regarding cans for rock is spot on too.  Even starting out with an MS1i or SR80i would be enough to see if you like the Grado sound.  I started with the MS1i and currently have a woodied SR325i (although they are pretty bright).  Something around the SR225i will probably suit you down to the ground - especially if you're looking for a headphone with more energy and vibrancy - and if you already enjoy the DT880 treble.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Just to let you all know, I am sticking with my original plan.  I don't listen to much electronic music so the DT990s probably wouldn't be for me (though I'd still like to hear a pair).  The 880s I find perfect for acoustic and classical with a flat EQ and I have a good sound card so I can adjust the bass when I listen to rock. 

I'm currently planning to get a WA3 tube amp, probably with the preamp option so I can still use it for something if I upgrade headphone amps in the future (or move my B&Ws up to my bedroom).  I was originally set on the Crack, but I can't build it myself at the moment and they don't have a factory tech anymore.  I think the WA3 will work out well, though...I just hope its not a waste as they do sound good through my Onkyo, I just feel like I could get more out of them with tubes.

The other thing I'm looking for is a decent pair of portables (mostly for at work).  I've been using SHE3590s, which actually sound incredible for $15 earphones, but the cord noise is driving me crazy.  I briefly thought about getting better IEMs, but decided I'm just not an IEM person.  Not sure what to get a this point.  Currently looking at the ATH-M50 (or their smaller version A55, or something like that), or maybe a Grado as I mostly listen to rock when I'm out...although I do listen to acoustic quite a bit, too.  I'm open to suggestions on this front, too.  I don't want to spend too much...I don't mind spending on home equipment, but feel like portable stuff has too much chance of being lost/stolen/damaged.  I just picked up a Clip Zip and plan to install RockBox.  Radio Shack had it on sale for $35 and I really like it.  Carrying an X5L along with a smart phone, diabetes kit, and wallet was just too much.  Now I can just clip this to my belt and go.  I miss the EQ from the X5, though.  The one in the SanDisk is just messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back