Are the 1964 Ears Quads the Best Customs for 500.00-600.00
Jun 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a maximum of 600.00 to spend on my first customs. I've been reading many threads the past few weeks. I would like something that's three way with at leas 4 drivers. From everything I've read, the quads seems like the way to go. But i wonder if there's anything better for the price. If there's something with less drivers that are better, then I don't have to have the 4 driver minimum. Also I just sold my beloved er4p's. So I definitely would want something that will be a "big" upgrade over what I had.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 18
I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide if I get a custom sleeve done for my Shure SE535 or just go for the 1964 triples or quad. I would like to get something with a little more sub bass but I do like my 535s. I am curious if you would be able to lie on the side of your head with the 1964s in. I can with the Shure and it would be nice as some times I like to listen in bed.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide if I get a custom sleeve done for my Shure SE535 or just go for the 1964 triples or quad. I would like to get something with a little more sub bass but I do like my 535s. I am curious if you would be able to lie on the side of your head with the 1964s in. I can with the Shure and it would be nice as some times I like to listen in bed.

the quads would be good for you (I bet, just my opinion)
i have never heard the s535s, but i had a pair of quads at one point. and the treble was recessed to my ears (just like the s535 according to reviews) the subbass was probably the deepest and strongest i have ever heard in a IEM, also, I could use them in bed with no problems

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
i have never heard the s535s, but i had a pair of quads at one point. and the treble was recessed to my ears (just like the s535 according to reviews) the subbass was probably the deepest and strongest i have ever heard in a IEM, also, I could use them in bed with no problems

what happened to your set of Quads?

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 18
I don't think anyone has an answer to that question, but my guess is no, the quads are not the best in the price range.  I have reviewed the following in that price range (summary in this thread):
- Fabs fabulous earphones
- Thousand Sound TS842 (ER4 on steroids?)
- Kozee Infinity X3 (SE535 upgrade?)
- Minerva Mi-3 review will be posted in less than a week

All have their strengths and weaknesses and I also have several custom IEMs that are much more expensive so my reviews aren't necessarily as glowing as I have read from some of the Q owners when their Q is the best headphone they own.  I would imagine the Q also has its strengths and weaknesses.

As far as being a big upgrade, there is an entire 'overrated' thread that is mainly focused on high end customs.  Some people feel there is little improvement (or too little to justify the price difference) while others feel the opposite.  I find that the custom IEMs in the $500 to $600 price range are good and a step up from anything universal I have heard, but certain custom IEMs in a higher price range bring quite a bit more to the reproduction of music by doing the little things much better resulting in a big jump in listening experience.  But, there are still many great options in your price range including the custom IEMs I listed and I am sure the Q is also very good.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 18
I can not use my custom Westone ES3Xs in bed, at all; maybe my fit is not perfect, but I can not use it even when I am lying on my back in bed. I think for custom IEMs, the seal is critical to produce a full sound, and changing head positions may break that seal. I guess if I have money to keep 2 custom IEMs at the same time, I will have one with silicone sound tube for the comfort. Acrylic material may sound better but is not so comfortable, esp. for listening in bed.

I think $500-600 is about what I would pay for custom IEMs also, as I prefer full size flagship cans (T1, LCD-2s) driven by desktop amps to ES3Xs. At $500-600, custom IEMs may beat full size cans in the same price range for isolation, details, speed and overall realism; but full size cans in $500-600 range may win in soundstage, impact and provide more overall fun, when driven by desktop amp.

From a portable source, I will use a custom IEM for sure. If I am getting another custom, this thread will lead me to it. Thanks moodyrn and average_joe.

Quote:

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 18
I got my quads yesterday & they're heavenly.  They are my first set of customs too.. and I couldn't be happier.  You can see my gear to get an idea of what kind of sound I like from my IEMs (balanced, with a premium and detail and clarity).

In terms of the overall package, the quads surpass all the other IEMs I have.. easily.  The RE0 comes close in terms of microdetail retrieval, but the quads simply blow them away when you take into account depth, timbre, and weight.  The quality and quantity of the bass from the quad is absolutely unreal.  I've never heard bass sound so effortless, textured, deep, rich, and powerful.  The really impressive thing is that it only flexes it's muscle when called on.. so everything you listen to won't have a bassy tinge to the sound.  The midrange is ever so slightly forward and the treble is smooth, but boasts copious amonts of clarity and excellent crispness & air.  It's a smoother sounding phone, so I can listen to these for hours on end without fatigue.. and that smoothness in no way is a detriment to enjoying the microdetails in all your music.  As I said earlier, a RE0 amped well comes close but the quad still reigns supreme and has a more rounded note and timbre.  Microdetails retrieval is simply one part of assessing the technical and musical ability of a phone.

There seems to be a good amount of competition in the 400-600 range for customs.. when you're spending this much on phones, I'm willing to speculate it's less about what phone is "better" and more about finding a phone that suits your taste.  I'd think the technical differences between customs in this range are much closer than or I might think.

Understanding what kind of audio characteristics you value and what kind of music you listen to will make the search much easier.

I was a little concerned the quad would be too bassy & warm for my taste since I like a more balanced, detailed, crisp sound.. and the quads did not disappoint.

I'm not actually partial to a particular sound.. I just like phones with good balance, a cohesive presentation, and have great VFM...which the quads most certainly are, IMO.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I got my quads yesterday & they're heavenly.  They are my first set of customs too.. and I couldn't be happier.  You can see my gear to get an idea of what kind of sound I like from my IEMs (balanced, with a premium and detail and clarity).

In terms of the overall package, the quads surpass all the other IEMs I have.. easily.  The RE0 comes close in terms of microdetail retrieval, but the quads simply blow them away when you take into account depth, timbre, and weight.  The quality and quantity of the bass from the quad is absolutely unreal.  I've never heard bass sound so effortless, textured, deep, rich, and powerful.  The really impressive thing is that it only flexes it's muscle when called on.. so everything you listen to won't have a bassy tinge to the sound.  The midrange is ever so slightly forward and the treble is smooth, but boasts copious amonts of clarity and excellent crispness & air.  It's a smoother sounding phone, so I can listen to these for hours on end without fatigue.. and that smoothness in no way is a detriment to enjoying the microdetails in all your music.  As I said earlier, a RE0 amped well comes close but the quad still reigns supreme and has a more rounded note and timbre.  Microdetails retrieval is simply one part of assessing the technical and musical ability of a phone.

There seems to be a good amount of competition in the 400-600 range for customs.. when you're spending this much on phones, I'm willing to speculate it's less about what phone is "better" and more about finding a phone that suits your taste.  I'd think the technical differences between customs in this range are much closer than or I might think.

Understanding what kind of audio characteristics you value and what kind of music you listen to will make the search much easier.

I was a little concerned the quad would be too bassy & warm for my taste since I like a more balanced, detailed, crisp sound.. and the quads did not disappoint.

I'm not actually partial to a particular sound.. I just like phones with good balance, a cohesive presentation, and have great VFM...which the quads most certainly are, IMO.

You didn't find yourself missing any of the re0's treble sparkle when moving onto the 1964-Q?

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've still not made a decision yet, but I'm in no hurry. I want to make sure I get this right(hopefully) the first time. I know the resale value on customs is crap. So I don't want to have to sale them.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
You didn't find yourself missing any of the re0's treble sparkle when moving onto the 1964-Q?

I did, practically any universal i have heard had more treble detail and sparkle then the quads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back