Are resistors directional?
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 34
I don't know to which mod your reffer...but if your are talking about resistors in general...they don't have specific way we aply them to a cirquit!
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 34
there is no direction BUT

it seems paralleling them on the opposite directions could lower inductance? (not sure if it only applies to metal oxide though)

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/n...004/schem2.jpg

it's a design by Andrea Ciuffoli.

ps. no I haven't not tried it myself and I have no way of measuring inductance. But Andrea has built lots of amps, he probably knows what he is doing.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 34
Well, there are plenty of audionuts that will tell you resistors are directional, but I doubt it
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
there is no direction BUT
it seems paralleling them on the opposite directions could lower inductance? (not sure if it only applies to metal oxide though)

Inductors are non-directional. Parallelling them will lower inductance by the inverse of the sum of the inverses just like resistors, but this is irrespective of their alignment.

Could just be another marketing trick. Mention torroids and run before music_man gets here!
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by motherone
Well, there are plenty of audionuts that will tell you resistors are directional, but I doubt it
biggrin.gif

andrea ciuffoli is a respected figure in the DIY community. He didn't acquire such respect by designing "snake oil" amps.

you on the other hand...
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. I do not think paralleling them means they have direction. Maybe it was something to do with the construction of resistors which makes them less inductive by paralleling them.

from my limited knowledge, inductances in series increases while paralleling them would decrease them.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Inductors are non-directional. Parallelling them will lower inductance by the inverse of the sum of the inverses just like resistors, but this is irrespective of their alignment.

Could just be another marketing trick. Mention torroids and run before music_man gets here!
biggrin.gif

andrea does not sell any amps nor he said to use a specific brand of resistors to use.

maybe he know something about metal oxide resistors that others don't? his suggestion even be limited to metal oxide.

who knows? I surely don't but I just posted a suggestion/recommendation by someone who knows what he is doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 34
paralleling resistors to make them "more ideal" (less inductive, or generally noisy) has been done for ages, and its benefits are not limited to metal oxide resistors.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
paralleling resistors to make them "more ideal" (less inductive, or generally noisy) has been done for ages, and its benefits are not limited to metal oxide resistors.

I think what people is arguing is the way of paralleling the resistors as andrea has recommended

I assume you looked at the link I provided above?

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 34
Metal oxide resistors are decidedly not directional.

A metal oxide resistor is just a ceramic tube with metal oxide stuffed in it and a lead coming off of each end. There is no way you could make one that's directional and still have it be a resistor.

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 34
i am torn on this subject.

on the one hand to argue aganst it, it is an inductor but inductors are non directional.

on the other, the way resistors are "cut" makes them SOMETIMES have a more resistive side than the other, sort of like soldering a 100&50 ohm resistor in series to get 150ohms. measuring "1 resistor" from one side gets 50 ohms, and measuring 1 resistor from the other gets 100 ohms. i dont think that this is as much a problem with newer reisitors, but it could be.

on the next hand from there, is there a guarantee that a particular manufacturer will label their product consistently? will the "less resistive side" allways be on the "tollerance band" end (for example) or does it vary from batch to batch? does it vary WITHIN batches?

i still say if you care enough to parallel, throw a carbon in the mix with a bunch of metals.

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
i am torn on this subject.

on the one hand to argue aganst it, it is an inductor but inductors are non directional.

on the other, the way resistors are "cut" makes them SOMETIMES have a more resistive side than the other, sort of like soldering a 100&50 ohm resistor in series to get 150ohms. measuring "1 resistor" from one side gets 50 ohms, and measuring 1 resistor from the other gets 100 ohms. i dont think that this is as much a problem with newer reisitors, but it could be.

on the next hand from there, is there a guarantee that a particular manufacturer will label their product consistently? will the "less resistive side" allways be on the "tollerance band" end (for example) or does it vary from batch to batch? does it vary WITHIN batches?

i still say if you care enough to parallel, throw a carbon in the mix with a bunch of metals.

from what more knowledgeable people have said (diyaudio), it could the way the resistor was cut. and then you have the problem on the labelling consistency.

ps. sort of annowing how people dismissed an idea without providing an explanation/reason
smily_headphones1.gif

another ps.

with polypros (at least of the some expensive brands), they label the side where it's on the outer foil (not sure of this. but it has something to do with the cap construction). something akin to "direction" perhaps even though polypros are supposed to be non-polarized.

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 34
Even if you got some 'directionality' to your resistance (which i am yet to see any plausible explanation) what effect will this have on our sounds AC signal that has no 'direction' as such?

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
andrea does not sell any amps nor he said to use a specific brand of resistors to use.

maybe he know something about metal oxide resistors that others don't? his suggestion even be limited to metal oxide.

who knows? I surely don't but I just posted a suggestion/recommendation by someone who knows what he is doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

First off, my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the topic in general. If you ever read diyaudio, you'll know that there's been conversations regarding the sound of resistors, along with whether or not they have directionality.

Second, have you read Andrea's articles? He recommends plenty of brands, mainly Allen Bradly Carbon Comps and Caddocks. He almost always specifies them in every article I've seen him write.

I think resistor directionality is snake oil. And while I may not design amps, that does not prevent me from having an opinion. If you beg to differ, you're more than welcome to, but please don't attempt to admonish my comments simply because I don't have designs published for others to look at.

I have actually tried many different types of resistors (Caddock, Vishay/Dale, Vishay S102 thick film, Corning Glassware Glass/Metal Film, CGW Glass/Carbon Comp, Allen Bradly and various other carbon comps, Carbon Film, and so on). I can't even tell the difference between the various types of metal film resistors in identical versions of a circuit, let alone whether any of them would have directionality.

I also doubt that the inductance of a resistor would have an audible result in 99.999% of the designs out there. And if it did, I would contend that the design is most likely broken. If you're worried about the inductance of a metal film, wirewound, or metal oxide resistors, go back to using carbon comps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back