Are PX100's the best fit for me?
Mar 22, 2007 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Persuasion

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I'm a first time poster, long time reader.

I have been looking for a good pair of phones for a while now. i bet you all hear this at least once a day, so any help would be appreciated.

Here's the types of music i listen to:

Hip Hop/Rap:

Dr. DRE
Eminem
Kardinall
Akon
2Pac

Rock/Punk:

My Chemical Romance
All American Rejects
Mobile
AFi
Nine Inch Nails

Also various instrumental pieces, J-Pop, and game music

I am looking for a phone, either supra or circa, that has good and clear treble and strong bass. I say strong bass because lately the phones i have been listening to (cheap ones I guess) the bass comes out as a little blip with no feeling. I would like the feel the bass on my ears. I prefer supra or circa headphones because buds and canal phones hurt my ears after 30 mins. My price range is below $100 CAD ($86 USD) and preferably below $70 CAD ($60 USD) if its even possible.

I have narrowed my choices down to the AKG K 81 DJ and the Sennheiser PX100. I was trying to get the AKG online through fascination prod. on ebay and they would never return my emails and recently i believe they shut down. I prefer not to order online (bad experiences). I read quite a bit of posts here on the PX100 and it looks like a safe choice...

Recently I bought a Philips HP430 at best buy for $44 CAD knowing fully well about their 30 day full refund policy. So far i thought they were pretty good albeit a bit cluncky looking from a mirror. The bass wasnt too shabby and had some good treble too it. But it does get fuzzier as i raise volume. I read some opinions here and people said they were bad! So i can't wait to try something thats widely voted as good sounding.

What I noticed about the PX100's is that the ear pieces are just thin foam. I kinda enjoy the plushy foam from the HP430's. I found a PX100 for $66 CAD ($57 USD) brand new and an open box for $53 CAD. Should I just stick with this pair? What are some other suggestions that would better suit my taste?

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to include how I plan to listen to music. I listen to music through my laptop at home and when i am outside I use an RCA mp3 player that runs on a AAA bat with about 6-7 hours of playtime with RCA earhpones.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 28
PX100 all the way! Sounds fantastic, highly portable and has a sturdy case. I prefer my SR80s at home, PX100/PX200 on the go. PX200 is more suited for people on the go, and to be honest, it doesn't sound too great, even compared to other closed-ears. As far as open ear portables go, PX100s are a great choice, especially for your price range, choice of music and source.

However, on the downside, don't expect much isolation, so not recommended for commuters. If you want isolation, you can go for IEMs (it seems like Shures are good, but I can't comment on them as I haven't listened from them) or you can get a closed-ear headphone (Sony 7506 seems to be popular in this category, and I'd also suggest AKG K26p.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 28
the PX-100 gives some pretty nice mid-range -> high sounds. Had my pair for over a year and theyre probably the only pair of headphones that have lasted me this long without much troubles. (I've only started getting better headphones since then though) I now use them for my computer as i bought some Shure E2c for portable use though theyre now in the mail for repairs. but i picked up a pair of E4c just today lol but yeah without fail the PX100! when I tried by friend's PX200, it sounded too deep for my liking

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 28
Mmm, love The All-American Rejects.
I would go with the K81DJ. It just suits your music type better than the PX100's. Yes, I had both at one point.

If you're afraid of purchasing online, your local Tom Lee store should have it.

Oh yeah, the HP430's. They are total crap compared to their older brother, the HP460's. HP460's are on par witht he K81DJ's. But those aren't available locally, too bad.
frown.gif

The V6's or Sony 7506 are great but their heavy, coiled cable will probably take them out of the bag. And the K26's, don't recommend please, rockbottom. lol.

If you were to buy online, there would be a larger area of choice available but since you're buying local, go with the K81DJ's. It's $79.00 + tax.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 28
get px 100's through www.ncix.com and price match them from www.tigerdirect.ca (tigerdirect has terrible service, ncix is amazingly better and they pricematch to tigerdirects cheaper price) this is assuming you are in Canada, as i take it. I have the PX and i think it will suit you nicely for your music tastes

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 28
suprised i haven't heard a shout out for the grado sr60! It's a great laptop phone! I don't think its the best for walking around though; the px100 has it beat.

I do own the px100 and think its a great can - it does the music you mention quite well while looking good too. haven't listened to the k81 though. If you want cheap sealed phones, the akg k26 aren't too bad. You won't notice the thin foam on the px100. They're one of the most comfortable phones ive ever worn!

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 28
I don't own a pair of PX100, but have listened to them and they are quite good for their size/class. They have been compared to the Koss PortaPro, which I have had for years, and I would say the sound is very similar. Since my PortaPros are getting old, I have been looking for a replacement and the PX100 is on my list. Check out this comparison. Good luck!

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 28
I'm surprised at the advice being given. Definitely go for the K81DJ for bass. Although the PX100 gives out good bass, it's much more neutral than the K81DJ. If you're interested in open cans similar to the PX100 but more bass heavy, check out the PortaPro, or if you'd rather have clip ons, KSC-75's. If you're willing to pay around $150, check out Beyerdynamic DT770's. Nearly all of the posts prior to mine say that the PX100's are great, which they are, but in your situation, I wouldn't buy them.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 28
I know you'd love Sony v6/7506.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 28
Yeah what's the deal with the KSC 75s... do they actually sound really comparable to the PX100s or better to some? Or are they just a really, really great value for 15-20 bucks.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm, love The All-American Rejects.

I did too kind of until I walked by the airhead cheerleaders of they school and they were screeching out the lyrics. That threw me off the fence.

To the OP, in my honest opinion, the KSC75 is better than the 5 Pro, is more balanced than the Triport, shows what a Grado can sound like for the most part, and is so cheap you won't worry about it oo much, just be amazed by the great sound!

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to My Chemical Romance sound is the least of your worries
tongue.gif

yeah honestly. worst. band. ever.
blink.gif
although i'll have to give it to them and other bands for getting famous with no talent whatsoever.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah what's the deal with the KSC 75s... do they actually sound really comparable to the PX100s or better to some? Or are they just a really, really great value for 15-20 bucks.

They're very similar to each other in SQ, but the coloration is different. Correct me if I'm wrong (as it's been a long time since I've listened to KSC-75's), but I believe KSC-75's are more bass heavy or treble heavy if modded. Actually, the differences really depend on the number of mods used on it.
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The KSC75 have a more neutral sound than the PX100, I own both and prefer the KSC75 for most of my music. However, I think the PX100 is a better rock can (due to its bassy-ness) and would suit the OP more than the Koss would.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back