Are my earphones broken? :(
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nwsk

New Head-Fier
Hiya,

I've been using a pair of shure 535's for close to 2 years now, but this morning when I tried to listen to them one side had no sound at all. They were working perfectly fine a couple of days ago, and had no indications of any issues (like crackling, sound distortion, or anything). At first I thought it was the cable, since all my previous earphones died with cable issues, but I tried swapping the left and right cable (since shure has these nifty detachable cable connections), but the same earbud was still not working. I can only conclude that the drivers must have failed or something, which I'm kind of disappointed about since I thought it would last me way longer than 2 years, and it was such a sudden overnight failure. 

Have any of you experienced similar problems with earphones just failing overnight? 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 3
It seems like either the positive or the negative wire on the inside of the headphone became detached from the detachable connector. You can probably send them in to have them repaired (BTG Audio?) OR you can have them reshelled and make them CIEMs. It would be cheaper to have that done than to buy another set of those headphones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 3
They're already reshelled though. The case is somewhat transparent, and from what I can see, the wires leading to the connection point don't seem to be disconnected.

I did notice that there was some greenish stuff around the connection between the wire and earphone though, which i assume is some copper corrosion? I've already wiped that clean but that didn't help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back