Are my Audio Technica ATH-ES7 fakes?
Nov 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

royphil345

New Head-Fier
Are my Audio Technica ATH-ES7 fakes?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I was able to find an older thread on this subject, but there wasn't really a comprehensive list of what to look for.

From what I gathered, A small hole at the middle of the inside of the headband might be a bad sign? I have that. Also, being able to see the stops that keep the earcups from rotating too far? The recycle sticker on the inside of the headband appears to be black with white printing (on the black model headphones) and not clear as I've read should be on the genuine article.

I'm also worried because there was absolutely no warranty info, either inside or outside the box.

They seem to sound pretty decent... The extreme highs and lows can sound pretty vague. There is balance and good bass weight though... The bag looks like it's probably right (grey velvet without any cheap looking coarse grain) and the cleaning cloth was included.

I bought these from Beach Camera and they were listed here as selling the real deal. But, these headphones have been discontinued and they're maybe suspiciously the only store that still has stock now. Maybe AT sent out one more batch to Beach Camera and ran out of warranty stickers?

I just don't know here! Can anybody shed some more light or give me other things to look for? I can take some pics of the headphones and packaging if it will help...

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 3
You saw this thread?...http://www.head-fi.org/t/417148/ath-es7-buyers-guide-or-how-and-where-to-avoid-fakes/135

Post 139 pics seems helpful and #144 is from someone who purchased from Beach Camera.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Yes... That's the thread I saw. Mine just seem to have some indications of being real and other things seem questionable according to what I read. No warranty info at all on a name-brand product seems pretty hokey. Maybe some things changed in the last run or two of them...

I'll probably never know for sure. I'm not a big headphone guy, but they seem to sound right for the price. I would say if they're not 100% legit, they at least seem to be "midnight shift" and not just look-alikes using cheap parts. They probably sound too good for that.

Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back