Are my 580's blown?
Apr 5, 2006 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
I apologize for starting one of these threads, as I know I've seen similar threads in the past, but I can't find any good information with the search.

I'm getting distortion on low bass notes in my left ear. I'm powering them with a NAD C320BEE. I wonder if the driver is busted or if I have a hair touching the driver. Is there any good way to take the foam off to check that?

If anyone has a copy of Joanna Newsom's "The Milk Eyed Mender" and a pair of HD580s, does the low bass note at the beginning of "The Book of Right On" distort at all? It doesn't through my LSi15's.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 11
grab the earpad and pull on it. it will pop right off. you may have to tug a little bit, but they're removable. after you get the earpad off, the foam will just be loose. i take my pads off all the time.

if you end up needing to send them in, i've had great experience with Sennheiser customer service. takes a little while, but they're nice and communicative.

Aaron

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 11
don't touch the grill section. just grab the velour or whatever ear pads and tug on them. don't be afraid, give it a little muscle. the pads should pop right out, there's nothing holding it in there except for a little friction. it might be a little snug from the factory, but the pads come right off i swear. after that the sheet of foam that screens the drivers will just be sitting there with nothing holding it down, easily removable.

p.s. yeah, they pop right back in, just line the foam screen up right. you might have to give it a little thumb pressure to snap it back in, but it's not hard.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Cool...I ain't skeered. I'll try it when I get home.

You said you've dealt with Sennheisers customer service? I know I've read about getting replacement drivers on Head-Fi in the past...do you know off hand how much new drivers are?

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 11
Last week, one condenser got loose on my BTech's PCB, and it sounded exactly like a hair in the driver, with distortion on low bass notes on one channel. Only recognizable with low ohm cans.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
There's probably just a hair there somewhere.

If you saw the thing on my head some call hair, that's probably a safe bet to make.

fingers crossed....

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
If anyone has a copy of Joanna Newsom's "The Milk Eyed Mender" and a pair of HD580s, does the low bass note at the beginning of "The Book of Right On" distort at all? It doesn't through my LSi15's.

That'd be pretty useless, the signal from your amp/source will make the sound just as different as using different cans. Also everyone brain interprets the sound differently...

I've never ever heard any distortion from my 580s in 1000s of hours of use.

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
That'd be pretty useless, the signal from your amp/source will make the sound just as different as using different cans. Also everyone brain interprets the sound differently...

I understand what you're saying, but if you heard this track, I think you'd catch my drift. Huge acoustic bass note that could easily cripple something not up to the task.

If anyone cares (or for future searches), removing the pad and clearing any debris solved the problem. They sound great once again
580smile.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I understand what you're saying, but if you heard this track, I think you'd catch my drift. Huge acoustic bass note that could easily cripple something not up to the task.

Actually I bought a CD which must have been produced badly? It had huge bass in every track, even on mellowing 580s it sounded much too strong, verging on distortion.
I downloaded some mp3s of it but they were the same.

I turned the level down with ReplayGain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back